Porsche Carrera GT....anyone know someone with one?

So I was reading through some of my car magazines and reviewing some articles about the Porsche Carrera GT and I wondered if anyone here has had a chance to drive or ride in one, and what impressions of the vehicle you may have?

Around my family we have a few Porsches collected and the Carrera GT really seems to be a car from an era that I miss. You know, the one when no compromise sports cars were made and they were just there to make the driver happy. Very few cars seem that way anymore, but the Carrera GT is from what I have read.

The acceleration and braking seem to be out of this world, and the overall package really does seem attractive. Granted, the price is significant, but what you get is a supercar that beats almost everything else in its class in appearing to be a total package that you could drive everyday.

I am a little biased towards Porsche I guess, since I do aspire to own a 959, 993 Twin Turbo, or 911 Turbo 3.6 by the time I am 35. While I love my NSX's and enjoy them greatly, something about the technology that Porsche used in the cars listed above, and the concept of building a pure sports cars, makes me thankful for what Porsche has done with the Carrera GT. Man, what I would do to just ride in a Carrera GT. One heck of a car... :)

While I don't have the pleasure of knowing an owner, I do have a clip of one running around a track. It's about 22megs, and I'd be happy to send it to anyone who wants it, or who can host it.

I don't believe any customer cars have been delivered yet, in a few months I believe they are scheduled to start showing up.

I used to own a '94 911 Turbo and currently own a '96 993TT and I can tell you that in most every way the NSX is superior, especially once I added the CTSC!

I think the Carrera GT is going to be in another league and looks like an awesome car! I guess it should for the money that they are charging for it.

92NSX said:
You gonna add that to your stable?

No, that is a little high on the cost side for anytime in the immediate future. But maybe later on in life it could be done. Anything is possible, you just have to believe you can and make a plan how to do it. :)

One of our regions wealthy car nuts is over in Germany taking his delivery/buyer experience as I type, so if I run into him over the summer I'll post about it.

According to "Excellence" 1/3 of the allotment or 750 cars for North America are still up for grabs.

At $440k a copy, gettem' while you can.

While at 605 HP, more than a few TT's exist out there that mach those #'s at less cost, but they don't have the look!

I drove a TT just last week that was modded and it was indeed a rush..... which is what I'm looking at buying this summer. Can't wait on Acura much longer.

Tom Larkins said:
...I drove a TT just last week that was modded and it was indeed a rush..... which is what I'm looking at buying this summer. Can't wait on Acura much longer.

Are you looking for the 993 TT or 996 TT to add?? I personally love the 993 body style and will own a 993 TT. I am a little biased after driving a '95 993 C4 Cab for several years though. i just know that nobody will ever mistake a 993 for a Boxster anytime soon.... :D ;)

McKenna Porsche

IMAG0116.jpg

IMAG0124.jpg

IMAG0125.jpg

IMAG0026.jpg

Tan

black with the mesh engine cover is HOT!

And I like the raised center console. It's been one of my favorite design elements since I first saw the concept car.

I would happily own one of those cars. you would get no complaints from me (except for not enough days of sunshine)...

Meeyatch1 said:
Are you looking for the 993 TT or 996 TT to add?? I personally love the 993 body style and will own a 993 TT.

A 993tt blk/tan is what it will be. The body style is classic. FYI, if your planning on a buy and want to mod it you better get a 1997 b/c the 96 is a pain to map the ECU.

Thanks for the picks TAN, that has to be one of the 1st in the states possibly and the color combo is second to none "blk/tan".;)

Tom Larkins said:
A 993tt blk/tan is what it will be. The body style is classic. FYI, if your planning on a buy and want to mod it you better get a 1997 b/c the 96 is a pain to map the ECU.

Thanks for the picks TAN, that has to be one of the 1st in the states possibly and the color combo is second to none "blk/tan".;)

The only thing you have to do to rework the CPU on the '96 is buy a CPU for a '97. This costs about an additional $500 - $750. There are very few other differences between the two cars, but I have seen upto a 10K difference in price for similiar cars.

I think the '96's are much better values on the used market. A lot of people think that the '97's are going to be collectable because they were the last year of the air cooled 911's. If you are going to mod the car I would suggest going with a '96.

That is one hot car. I just sold my Porsche and feel naked without one for the first time since I was 19. $440 is really steep for any Porsche though.

Rob

Carguy! said:
The only thing you have to do to rework the CPU on the '96 is buy a CPU for a '97. This costs about an additional $500 - $750. There are very few other differences between the two cars, but I have seen upto a 10K difference in price for similiar cars.
I had read & heard several opinions on this. I'm waiting to hear from a local tech that in Chicago on any additional costs. Your info is helpful though.

I think the '96's are much better values on the used market. A lot of people think that the '97's are going to be collectable because they were the last year of the air cooled 911's. If you are going to mod the car I would suggest going with a '96.

Do you own a 993tt ? If so may I ask you some questions PM of course since I don't want to hi-jack the thread.

Thanks in advance.

Tom Larkins said:
Carguy! said:
I had read & heard several opinions on this. I'm waiting to hear from a local tech that in Chicago on any additional costs. Your info is helpful though.

Do you own a 993tt ? If so may I ask you some questions PM of course since I don't want to hi-jack the thread.

Thanks in advance.
Carguy! said:

Yes I have a '96 and I had the computer upgraded you can buy computers out of '97 pretty cheap and have them modified.

I would love to answer any question I can on the 993TT, just send me a PM and I will try to give my best replies.

nsxlover said:
That is one hot car. I just sold my Porsche and feel naked without one for the first time since I was 19. $440 is really steep for any Porsche though.

Rob

I was told by a car dealership owner that Porsche has the highest profit margin/cost of production to cost of ownership of any other manufacturer.

Tan

Tom you could also call Steve Weiner at Rennsport Systems, He can do the chip work on the 96 as well. He knows the 911 series backwards and forwards. You can usually find a 959 in his shop.
I know that he will have plenty of Carrera GT customers in time as well. http://www.rennsportsystems.com/
Len

Tom Larkins said:
Carguy! said:

Thanks in advance.

Tom Larkins said:
Thanks Len, will check that link, fortunatly this company is nearby that does major turbo & chip stuff http://www.imagineauto.com

I do look at all opinions though. I seem to remember seeing your avator w/a 911. Was it a tt

I know Steven Kaspar, from the begining of their company. They do good work. But Steve Weiner has forgotten more than they Know. ;) Trust me call him before you do anything.

Back