Polishing 2000 OEM Wheels

I did a search and found some information about this, but want to get some current feedback. I want to polish my '00 stock wheels (there is a shop close by and I inspected his work - looks good). Anyway, what is the downside of having this done?

Is there a clear coat on my wheels that will get polished off and create a maintenance nightmare? If the clear coat is polished off, can I then have them re-coated? I only put about 2K miles/year and keep my NSX snug in the garage the rest of the time.

Any pics of '00 polished wheels out there?

Thanks for your valuable information.

Rick

nsxexotic said:
i don't understand what you want to do with your wheels but ye ole wheel shop near columbia, md I heard does good work.

doesn't the 2000 wheels already have a machine polished finish?

Yes, but a brushed look. The Ye Ole will make it look like chrome.

I've heard of some wheels having clear coat sprayed on them after polishing. I'm not sure though how well it holds up on the wheel over time, or if they start to yellow out with age. If there is no clear coat then you'll be doing a lot of elbow grease to keep them looking like chrome. since you only drive your car a few thousand miles throughout the year I would just get it chromed, but find a place that's reputable and will warranty it for more than a year.

Veleno said:
If there is no clear coat then you'll be doing a lot of elbow grease to keep them looking like chrome.

You got that right. I had bare polished rims before and they do look really nice right after you polish them, but if you don't upkeep with the polishing at least once a month (Probably should do it every week or twice a month) than they really get dull looking. The oxidation starts right away, but doesn't get real noticable until about a week, and really noticable after 2 weeks. At least that was how mine were. I would opt for the clear coat.

Polished wheels

At first glance chrome might seem to be the best route (nice finish and low maintenance), but NO aluminum wheel will retain the chrome plating for the long haul. There is a broad range of quality in chrome plating over aluminum, but the plating will eventually delaminate. Polishing will give you a great high luster look and can be maintained endlessly. I have used a number of different wheel applications over the years and have seem the good, the bad and the ugly.

FYI, I have a set of OEMs on my 96 model which we're polished in 96. I have never used clear coat on them and have only had them re-polished two times since 96. They look like new today.

Another issue to consider with polishing vs plating is curb rash.....which can be easily and permanently repared with a polished aluminum product, but will result in permanent issues if the aluminum is chromed plated.

As far as adding clear coat; although it will give added protection to your polished finish, clear can discolor and or delaminated from the base surface over time. Good luck with your decision.

Lynn

Back