polish chrome wheels?

My cracked 17 & 18 chrome wheels are giving me a major headache. I have to constantly pump up with air evertime I drive. Oh the pain and misery...<shaking head>

Is it possible to scrape the chrome off and polish my wheels? I could just get new polish wheels, but the IRS says otherwise.

confused.gif
What????

I second that
confused.gif
What?

Is it just me or are you talking about driving around with a cracked wheel?

Polishing is not going to solve your cracked wheels issue, my friend. If you are losing air pressure in your tires due to a cracked wheel you need to get those things OFF and NOW! Don't drive around town with a cracked wheel.

If they can't be repaired then you will have no other alternative than to buy new ones.

I beleive he means that the chrome is flakeing off at the inner part of the lip of the whhel. You know, where the bead seats. You May be able to reove the tires, and grind with a scotch brite pad untill the loose chrome is gone, then apply some bead sealer, but this is a problem with chrome wheels.
Might I ask what environment your car is kept in? Do you drive it every day? any winterish exposure? Is it a garage queen??

Steve

Hi --

Shoot me for contact info for a guy in Redmond in the chroming industry. He could at least give you an idea where to start.

Nice to meet you Saturday, I'll make sure to have my car next time :-)

------------------
Chris Willson
www.ScienceofSpeed.com
www.NSXClassifieds.com

Oh yeah, I meant chrome chip and _NOT_ crack. What was I thinking of posting the question?!?!

When I got the wheels, one of the 18' was chipped already, but been too busy to fix it.

Originally posted by MRacer:
Oh yeah, I meant chrome chip and _NOT_ crack. What was I thinking of posting the question?!?!

When I got the wheels, one of the 18' was chipped already, but been too busy to fix it.

There's a wheel guy here in Portland that does all the work on exotics in the area. I had him polish my 7 spoke OEM wheels and he did a great job.

Also I found a set of chromed NSX OEM wheels I was thinking about buying for the track. Being worried about chipping and leaking I talked to him about what it takes to get them fixed. Basically it didn't sound like a good idea so I and passed on the wheels.

Anyway if your interested in talking with him private me and I'll get you his #. If you want to see my wheels I can post a pic.

------------------
Hal Jones
Lake Oswego, Oregon
95T Blk\Blk SportShift

Back