Please renew my faith in humanity

I'm losing faith in humanity to see on Facebook how many people are getting this very simple math problem wrong. Surely the world can't be this stupid. I'm hoping the people of Prime (who tend to be smarter than the average bear) can renew my faith in humanity. Please solve this easy math problem and post your answer in a reply. (There is no trick and is not meant to be a brain teaser)

1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 - 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 x 0 = ?

Last edited:
= 0

Don't ask us. Ask the kid that delivers the Dominos.

We were discussing how kids now can't do simple math. Yes, we were drunk. The Dominos guy came and the total was like $18 and change. I gave him a $20 and told him I just need $5 back and to keep the change. What do you think happened? Cheap pizza.

Don't ask us. Ask the kid that delivers the Dominos.

We were discussing how kids now can't do simple math. Yes, we were drunk. The Dominos guy came and the total was like $18 and change. I gave him a $20 and told him I just need $5 back and to keep the change. What do you think happened? Cheap pizza.

The future is here! I can't wait to get my degree from Costco. :biggrin:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/IpxAypwVF6M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This is the latest one.

6-1x0+2 /(divideby) 2 = ?

I had almost 40 responses, and almost all of them are wrong.

13. But in the "real world" why would anyone need to know this?

To see if people who are voting can figure out the most basic math equation we all learned before the age of 10.

Last edited:
13. But in the "real world" why would anyone need to know this?

13 is the answer for the decimal rule, the answer will be different under discrete mathematics. Scientists and engineers are need to know this basic calculation rules, for example logic gate :smile:

Answer is 13.

You are suppose to multiply first, then do the addition, then subtraction after.

1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 - 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 x 0= ?

1st: Multiplication
1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 - 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 0= ?

2nd: Addition
10-1+4 = ?

3rd: Subtraction
14-1 = ?

? = 13

Although I feel like an idiot doing this.... isn't this the type of math they teach 1st graders lol.

BTW, 3 out of every 4 people on Facebook are getting the answer wrong.

As soon as I saw the problem I knew the correct answer and the answer the average person chose.

Doesn't surprise me. I do not consider myself anything special and I scored quite high on both the LSAT and the GRE. Considering who takes these tests (college graduates and of those the most motivated generally speaking) it's a crude awakening about how poorly the average individual understands basic math and problem solving.

All that being said, it is quite easy to engineer a "simple" problem that tricks the majority of humans. For instance, I could propose three fairly simple probability problems of which I guarantee everyone on this board would miss at least one as long as A) They don't cheat by looking it up and B) They haven't already been exposed to it. They are, however, more difficult than understanding X+X*0=X.

i feel stupid now.

You shouldn't. While the problem is simple and learned in grade school, there is very little relevancy or association to that exact form in every day life. Math adheres to strict rules that most people do not deal with or have to use day to day. So when presented with the problem many years later, 5, 10, 20+, the expectation is that you really can't answer it with any certainty.

What is important is when explained, you either understand, or remember quickly why the answer is what it is. Then you can go back to every day life , and completely forget again. :smile:

You shouldn't. While the problem is simple and learned in grade school, there is very little relevancy or association to that exact form in every day life. Math adheres to strict rules that most people do not deal with or have to use day to day. So when presented with the problem many years later, 5, 10, 20+, the expectation is that you really can't answer it with any certainty.

What is important is when explained, you either understand, or remember quickly why the answer is what it is. Then you can go back to every day life , and completely forget again. :smile:

very good point. Once explain i get it right away. PEMDAS, i remember we used to get hounded with that abbreviation. It made complete sense once you put that into work. But from day to day basis, we don't use much of any of it. Add a little, subtract a little. I need to refresh on basic math.

Back