Please- I need help deciding which '91 to buy.

what to buy

Look at cars.com, they have a VERY nice 1992 for under 29K.
I now this car......very nice. :):D

Re: Worn out?

Crazified said:
I would hardly classify an NSX with 140k as "worn out". That is... if it has been mechanically well-maintained. I have over 100k and you'd never know it unless you looked at the odometer.

I'm not classifying the car worn out because of mileage. I'm saying that a worn out NSX i.e. bad paint, bad interior, bad weather-stripping, bad maintenance.... you get the idea... is not worth restoring to factory condition. It's better to buy a car in the condition that you are satisfied with rather than improve one that you are not satisfied with.

I've seen cars with over 100K miles that look virtually like new. I'd be concerned that if the cosmetics of a car are trashed that it wasn't taken care of mechanically either.

The 91 in this post sounds "worn out" bad paint, dents, bad interior, dirty engine. Who know what else?

Yeah, this should be a no brainer for anyone. The car that has been beat and abused is not a wise choice, its condition is just a sample of how the entire car has been cared for, or should I say not cared for.

Unless you are just going to strip this down and build it into a track car, don't even consider that car.

You are far better served to pony up the extra bucks and get the one that has been well maintained, you will thank yourself in the long run.
Good luck.

You've stated that price point wasn't an object, so obviously, the better-condition car is the better choice. The only cavaet to that would be if you were planning on stripping it down into a dedicated track car or make it over into an import tuner show monster. Then the money you save can got to go-fast parts of a serious nature where much of the stock equipement like injectors, throttle-bodies etc. are up-graded or trashed, like most of the interior. You'll be happier with one that works better for longer.

Almost there

I am definitely going for the nicer, lower-miles one. The only problem is that the seller has been dragging. He is totally unmotivated to sell this car (he'll just keep driving it if he doesn't) so he is being hard on every point: inlfexible with price ($33,500), will only accept cashier's check (won't take a wire because he has seen them reversed), and he still needs to finish having the window regulator fixed and the car smogged- which he is taking his sweet time doing because he doesn't really care. It's a totally "on his terms" kind of sale, so I am waiting patiently and just asking him if he would kindly wrap things up. I wish this seller were as nice as the guy selling the high miles car.

A friend reminded me of a funny, appropriate quote today: "Never negotiate with a hard-on". How can you not when looking at an NSX?

I'll keep you posted. Again, thank you all for your insight.

Not sure what to do with that. If the seller is not motivated to sell, I would move on. I don't deal with people like that becasue you have no position of advantage. Uless money really is no object, how many of us can really say that and mean it though?

There are a number of very clean nice NSXs out there if you look.
Good luck.

Oh, the cashier's check thing, probably reasonable on his part.

Got it!

Just wanted to pop in to say that I got the car! It's a beauty and has been so much fun. A little detail brought it into even better shape and I'm enjoying it as my daily driver. I gave some of my colleagues a joy ride in a safe parking lot and all they could do was laugh the whole time. What more could you ask for than a car that brings joy into people's loves?

Thank you all for your advice and insight!

91 with 140k+ miles and C or D body condition for 26,000 - that is overpriced.

Thats the price I would sell my car for if I were to sell it.
91 at 85k at the Minimum A-/B+ with new clutch & tbelt.

Back