Please- I need help deciding which '91 to buy.

My first posting- go easy on me.. I am about to buy a used 91 NSX and have two quite different ones to choose from:

Option one is black on black, has 140k+ miles on it, the car is in about a C- or d+ condition (paint very chipped/sandblasted, several dents, engin a bit dirty, seat leather worn, engine cover "carpet" behind head deteriorating, oxidation on paint). Haven't had it checked yet, but all records are included, not snap ring, new clutch, timing belt, water pump, tires, stereo amps (3) and 1 regulator done, year 2000 model wheels up to 17/18 (I think) and it runs great, drives perfectly. My take is that it is in decent to good running shape but a bit worn. The seller is a super-nice guy who is asking $26k for it and would likely negotiate down a decent amount.

Option 2 is a black on black in A condition: has 22k miles on it, immaculate paint and leather and overall condition, new timing belt and pump, new regulators, upgraded wheels and size (18in I think) and very clean engine and everything. Not snap ring range. It's beautiful. Going in for diagnostic check tomorrow. Seller is a car broker- this is his personal car. He is asking $34k and is not too flexible on price.

Bottom line- what do you, oh experienced ones, think makes more sense as a purchase- a higher miles, more worn cheaper one or a low mile beauty. Given probably a $10k price difference.

My plan (could obviously change) is to own this car for a couple/few years.

Your thoughts and comments would be most appreciated.

Thank you!

Colin (hoping to be in the club very soon) Drake

Last edited:
you have to be kidding. :rolleyes: I wouldn't expect too many responses.

Are you looking for a daily driver? a weekender? a track rat?

Off the top of my head, the first one is worth low 20s and the second is worth low 30s. It is really up to you, but I would get a carfax, PPI, etc done ether way.

I disagree... I think people will be happy to respond and it may not be that easy.

If the "crappy car" has all the paperwork with it from day one, then that's a good indication that at least the previous owner(s) have kept it up mechanically. Contrary to that, it the "good car" has 22k on it and NO rock chips up front... that sounds a bit sketchy if you ask me. There's a lot of factors to this. Mileage on Honda's does not scare me as long as it has been been maintained.

Having just recently purchased a 91 (within the last 6 mos.) my $0.02 is this...

If you are going to keep the car for a couple of years - think about resale.
:rolleyes:

Personally, I'd invest 10K more and go with the better car.

The prices on both seem a little high though. (???)
Any photos??

Let us know what you do.

Car use

I am intending to use this as a daily driver. The cleaner car does have some really minor rock chips on the front, but not the hood. First owner was a guy with lots of cars and his son sold it when he died. Second owner was this dealer who pampered it.

As far as price goes, I've looked at Cars.com and autotrader.com and sen pretty much most of the 91 NSX listing in the U.S. and it seems hard to find an NSXC with 22k miiles in great condition for under $35. It's also actually hard to find one with over 140k miles for sale and seems like $20k would be about the right price there.

My hope is to minimize the depreciation hit over the few years I hope to own it. Can't quite determine if there is less room for drop in high miles car or the nicer one. Though, obviously, that won't be the primary determining factor.

In any case, so far it sounds like you lean towards the better car.

Last edited:
FYI Drake,

I know of two cars that recently sold:

93 Red - 36K mi.
Mods - rims, stabilizer bars, suspension, wings west kit
Excellent Cond., all maint. records
$36K in San Diego

91 Black - 52K
Mods - rims, stereo, alarm, air filter, smart antenna
Excellent Cond., all maint. records
$30K in Los Angeles

New offers come along all the time.

Good Luck

Hmm... First thought is that the one with 140k on the odometer sounds to be a bit high on the price scale from the way you describe it. Given the info you provided (picturing the two in my mind), I would probably opt for option 2.

What specifically are you looking for in an NSX?
Low miles?
What mods not considered?
etc, etc...

The second car will probably cost you less in maintainence. I would expect the suspension to feel a bit tighter and fewer rattles. If you are only keeping the car a few years, the lower priced car will take less of a depreciation hit. If you plan on keeping it a long time, then depreciation is a minor issue. As someone else mentioned, always buy the best car you can afford.

Bottom line

I guess the question is whether given a $10k price difference, you could use some part of that towards bringing the first one back into comparable shape with the second or whether it would take most of the price difference (or more) and you still would not have as nice a car.

Second one gets inspected today and if all looks good I'll put in my offer.

Save yourself some trouble and money. Spend abit more upfront so you dont have to spend alot more later. Do you know how much it is to do any work on a Acura NSX? They tend to charge you ALOT for this car just because they think yu can afford it.
I just went in to have my lights adjusted and they wanted to charge me 90 bucks for checking it out only. Thats not including labor or parts. Thats just for them to take a look at it. My lights were rubbing against the hood when it popped up. The funny thing is that I just bought the NSX 2 weeks ago from them.
Anyway, they are waiving it. I would say get a certified NSX if you can. If I were you, Id haggle down the 91 to about 30-31k at most. Forget the other NSX unless you plan to track it and strip it down or u plan on a total repaint. All this cost money.

Good luck with your decision.
Calvin

Go with Option 2 all the way. My reasons are:

1. Option 1 has too many miles and will be more of a loss when you sell it because the miles will be even higher. A 200K mile car is not going to be worth much.

2. Assuming option 2 is in nice condition, even dumping 10K in option 1 will never begin to "restore" it to the condition of option 2. IMO, it is probably not cost effective to restore a worn out NSX to the condition of a "factory" nice car. Oh sure, you can give it a cheap paint job and fix torn seats, but to restore it to factory condition would require much more money than the car would be worth. And, no amount of money will turn 160K miles into 22K miles.

Option 2 sounds like a high price, but if it is truely a fine car, the seller knows what he has and also knows that very nice unmolested cars are rare and can command a premium.

If you can afford it, always get the newest, best condition car you can. If you can't, then perhaps an NSX isn't for you at this time. Don't strap yourself by getting a ratty car at a lower price because its all you can afford and then not having any money for repairs or maintenance.

just my 02. but i've been there, done that.

I can't speak for you, but if it were my decision to make for myself, I would think that if I can't afford the additional $10k now then I can't afford the additional repairs/maintenance on option #1 later. In which case, I probably wouldn't be buying either.

OK

Thanks everyone- it seems like pretty much of a no brainer to all here that the nicer car is the way to go. I can afford the difference anyway and will obviously have greater pride of ownership in that one. Was wondering if I would get a bunch of responses that the higher mile one still sounds fine and a good value, but pretty much everyone is saying that the nicer car is the way to go. It goes into the dealership in an hour and then we'll see.

In terms of price, the owner is not a particularly motivated seller- if he doesn't get a price he wants he's just going to keep driving it. He's just thinking about investing the money instead. Doesn't put me in a very good bargaining position, but I'll do what I can. I'll keep you posted.

Thank you all very much for your advice and input.

Colin

Worn out?

2. IMO, it is probably not cost effective to restore a worn out NSX to the condition of a "factory" nice car.

I would hardly classify an NSX with 140k as "worn out". That is... if it has been mechanically well-maintained. I have over 100k and you'd never know it unless you looked at the odometer.

here is what you should do!
wait for the car which is right at the middle of those two.
1991 or 2 60-75k miles, better shape than the option #1, and serviced car with little more money $27k-30k
im pretty sure you can find one.
good luck!

Hey there!! This really does depend on how much you plan on using the car and in what circumstances you will drive it. If you will drive it 365 days a year in all weather, then look at the '91 NSX, but try for more around the low $20's for buying price. I am thinking $22k to $23k depending on the overall condition and maintenance.

If you are not going to drive it all the time (i.e. you own a 'beater' car as well) and you plan to use it mainly in fair weather, then get the 22,000 mile car. Of course this depends on if you care how much money you will lose by buying a low mile garage queen and turning it into a daily driver. The fall is steep when you go from a '91 with 22,000 miles to having the same car with 50,000 miles. Expect to lose about $8,000 there.

Do not get me wrong, buying the '91 with the lower miles and driving it all the time is a great idea, you just have to be ready to lose the resale value. For someone like me who does not care about resale, the choice is simple. ;)

Back