Please help. Position of CD changer in trunk?

I hope you all had a happy Thanksgiving. :-) I recently had an Alpine CD changer installed. It is installed parallel to the engine, on the right side closest to the engine. The installer used 2 inch screws, and drilled it into the trunk. Is this safe to do this? Could it pose a danger to the gas tank in the event of a rear collision? Please help. TIA

Tuanster,
The factory mounting position for the Alpine changer is on the far right (passenger) side of the trunk, mounted on the side of the trunk. There is an Acura mounting kit that sells for about $100 and includes the DIN harness, mounting bracket, and instructions for installation. As for the threat of damage in a collision, I'm not sure. You may want to look in your engine bay with a flashlight and see if you can determine just how far those screws went in.

[This message has been edited by TampaBayNSX-R (edited 24 November 2000).]

That doesn't sound like a very practical mounting position, but it poses no danger to your fuel tank.

Sounds like a pretty goofy install to me too. I had the dealer install mine (talk about goofy), but it's secured in an OEM swiveling bracket on the passenger side of the trunk floor.
I especially don't like the sound of the 2" screws! I'm in the Bay Area too. Private me if you want to take a look at it.

My changer is installed vertically on the passenger side on the trunk floor. I'm thinking of either building a cage around it or remount it behind the engine on the driver side.

MRacer,

Just remember that the extra wide space in the trunk that is behind the driver is designed so a flat tire will fit there. If you mount your CD Changer there, you will loss that capability.

My recommendation is to mount it as Honda designed it... using the Acura Mounting Kit and the provided mounting location. I have a couple photos at my web site.

------------------
nsx1
2000 Yellow/Black/6-sp #172
http://www.nsx1.com

[This message has been edited by nsx1 (edited 29 November 2000).]

I'm not sure exactly what "vertically on the floor" means, but the best place to mount it is all the way on the right side using the OEM swing-out bracket.

Back