Please help me find an NSX. Ready to buy. Having Problems.

Man, this obsession with low mileage or any mileage and guilt to drive is crazy! A low miler driven is only depreciated to the value of the miles....period. Now if you pay a big premium to get one with low miles then it might cause some concern but you gotta ask yourself - "what are you buying the car for"? Is it to polish and look at and drive sparingly to show and say "I have one" or did you buy the car to drive it.

If you are buying to drive then why buy a car with super low miles - that 99% of the time has had no maintenance to speak of and needs everything - buy one with a few more miles and some maintenance history and drive the car.

Geez, I bought mine to drive - I made that mistake once when I bought a collector car - a super low mileage (12,500) Turbo Look 87 Cabrio 911 and was going to drive it and then I started thinking like Doug - man my car is really depreciating with every mile I put on it and I got nervous to drive the car - and I sold it. Now the truth of the matter is that the car actually was appreciating - something I don't believe any NSX is doing unless it's Senna's car or something - and I could have driven it with no effect to the price as I later determined from others selling with higher miles. Now that's not a fair comparison to NSXs in that the basic models haven't started appreciating but they do hold their value really well and the lower the miles the higher the value is a basic benchmark for all cars.

That's just a story of mine, others probably have their own stories too. But if you are buying an NSX I surely wouldn't be buying it to keep in a hermetically sealed package in anticipation of the car appreciating. There are all kinds of thought on this subject but the car is all about driving, the same is true of Porsches. That is after all what they were meant for and what I believe is the fun of owning the car - but that's just me. I love driving and I really love driving my NSX! :smile:

I too bought my NSX to drive! In fact I will most likely put on 100 -150 kms per day during the week with the weekends spent inspecting, cleaning and detailing the vehicle. I honestly feel keeping my NSX moving every day and staying on top of regular maintenance is the best thing I can do for her. When the time comes to pass the reins to someone else, I can be confident they too will have a reliable vehicle that will serve them well. :smile:

Last edited:
Man, this obsession with low mileage or any mileage and guilt to drive is crazy! .......

Perhaps someone is looking for a low mileage car because they ARE looking to drive it. My car had 33K miles on it when I bought it, so I know that I SHOULD be able to get atleast 167K miles out of it before I need to start thinking about replacing major items, if maintenance is kept up the way it should be.

Had I bought a 100K mile car I would have dropped a few years off of my "available mileage".

Just my thoughts anyway.

Man I guess I was lucky. My NSX kinda found ME. :wink: I decided that I wanted a 91 in silver. I saw it driving around on the streets here a couple times, then the for sale ad showed up here and I couldn't stop myself after the price dropped a couple times. I went from "saving money to buy one someday" to "here's a pile of cash" in about 2 days. :biggrin:

It had more miles on it than I would've preferred, BUT the bigass folder full of maintenance reciepts more than made up for it.

Many times you can have your cake and eat it too. I bought mine with 42k on it. RJP says his had 33k on it. Good miles and really low miles when you consider our cars are 18 or so years old. Mine is anyway - it's a 91 not sure about RJP's.

It's really those cars with miles in the low teens that are way up there in cost usually - I should have qualified my remarks. Those are the ones that usually have a bunch of deffered maintenance and they still want a big ass pile of dough for em. My car was reasonable and it too came with a stack of reciepts but you gotta know and anticipate that usually - not always cause there have been some really steal deals here on Prime lately- cars that are sold are sold needing some maintenance. Not many folks sell their cars unless it's an all of a sudden decision with everything up to date on service. I've seen a couple and one lately here was just a smokin deal - you guys konw it - it was the red one with the custom exhaust and everything up to snuff for right around 30k something incredible like that but I wouldn't count of finding one like that unless you have the patience of Job. I didn't but I only wanted one of 2 colors - silver or white. I got the silver one and it may have cost me a little too much looking back on it but a couple thousand ain't too bad but still....you catch my drift.

Heck some of the guys here don't think anything of a couple of grand - I haven't quite gotten there yet and most likely never will. Depends on what you can afford as to what you want to wait for or how long you'll have to wait. There are good deals to be had out there. If I had more cash - would I have gone for the targa/3.2/6 speed???? Maybe. I love the one I have but I really needed to drop 5k in it - hence my point about deffered maintenance on even nice low milers that aren't insanely priced.

More you drive em the better they like it. A car that sits mainly doesn't run as well as one that is driven often. RJP makes some really good points; so buy a low miler and drive the poo out of it!

I am usually a reader on this forum. But I actually have something I want to say in this. I am in search of an NSX for over 2 years now. My budget is up to the low 60s. I, too thought about giving in to other colors. I did look at quiet a few of them. My advice is making sure you talk to their local Acura dealership. One of the NSX I looked at claimed to be accident-free, however I found out from a guy at the dealership about some interesting history. The owner actually had an accident, and repaired it at his own cost. The guy told me "I would not invest my money in this car if I were you. As far as I know he had his rear left suspension replaced." I have clue who bought it at the end, but I am just glad it was not me.

So make sure you do your homework before making ANY decision. This is a lot of money for an used car. There are many NSX owners out there that may hide little tiny details about their car. I mean, if I own a perfect NSX I'd never sell it. In that logic, when one is for sell, there is either something wrong with the car, or the owner's financial status. There are a few exceptions of flawless NSX out there, and I've spoke to one of the sellers. The problem with those flawless ones is that the seller is usually LOADED with $$$$ and they don't care about not selling it. The guy I talked to just want to clear some garage space for his new Farrari. He was VERY firm on his price and told me he may just build another garage if it doesn't sell.

The biggest mistake I made in my car-purchasing is that I didn't get a brand new 2005 NSX while I could.

I mean, if I own a perfect NSX I'd never sell it. In that logic, when one is for sell, there is either something wrong with the car, or the owner's financial status.

Your logic is correct for you, then again never, say never.

Some people get bored quickly and want to move on. Others find something else, an F car or something newer, etc.

As for me... I'm with you, I have gone through cars, now I'm very happy with my NSX. I don't have any plans on selling it. The only reason I can think of would be financial reasons. If something more important came up than a car, I would sell it, but for now I'm enjoying every minute of it :smile:

I was looking for my NSX for 5 years or more,, never saw one under 30K though till this year " the year of the Botton of the economy" so I got my NSX 1992 Black On Black 5 speed ,vin number 415 with 100,000 miles mint,for 20,000, had to drive from tampa to South Carolina, saw it on craigslist called the guy drove up that night,, then drove it home the next morning,, drives perfectly eats eveything i race,, and i can Keep up with these CBR's and Suzuki Bikes,, rims are the original chrome YUCKS,, but I am in the process of fixing that,, added the Navi from a 2005 TL with the SOS POD, its coming along,, I have no worry engine wise the guy had the Valve adjustment, timing belt, water pump done right at 100,000 by Acura Dealer, look for the NSX Buying guide online it tells you the ins and outs of buying an NSX,,, and dont let high milelage scare you if it is well maintained then it should perform like new!! check this link out it helped me with my purchase, and EDUCATED ME ON THE NSX, good luck,, oh and i drive mine everyday and everyday there is another person telling me what a bad ass car i have every single day I kid you not,, not one in tampa so im king!!,, i did meet a guy here north of tampa with his red NSX with 167,000 miles and it was mint!! so to add that these cars will last is an under statement
http://www.hondatuningmagazine.com/includes/htup_0810_acura_nsx_buyers_guide/index.html<WBR>

Last edited:
Many times you can have your cake and eat it too. I bought mine with 42k on it. RJP says his had 33k on it. Good miles and really low miles when you consider our cars are 18 or so years old. Mine is anyway - it's a 91 not sure about RJP's.

More you drive em the better they like it. A car that sits mainly doesn't run as well as one that is driven often. RJP makes some really good points; so buy a low miler and drive the poo out of it!

Your was averaging about 2330 miles per year when you bought it. Mine is a '94 and averaged about 2250 miles per year.....so really, very similar averages.

I bought mine...what 5 weeks ago? It is sitting in the garage with 36,5xx miles on it now. Of course, there was that 2000 mile trip home when I bought it! Unfortunately, I'm going to have to park it in the next 4-5 weeks so then it'll be out of commission for 6 maybe even 7 months depending on how harsh the winter is.

Tim also has a point about maintenance that might need to be done. My car had zero deferred maintenance, I think it was one of those financial things. However, before I put it away for the winter I am having all 22 coolant hoses changed. So that'll run me a pretty penny. Why am I doing this? Well, my car is 15 years old....I have a stack of maintenance records...and as far as I can tell, my hoses are 15 years old too. So I am just doing it as preventive maintenance. Those are things to thing about too with an older car.

Rob

PS - Tim have you gotten your service manual yet? I know there is one in the Wiki here, but the one at this site is actually a PDF book, tabbed, indexed and whatnot so it is usable, rather than the 1000+ separate PDF pages of manual I saw on Prime.

Last edited:
Perhaps someone is looking for a low mileage car because they ARE looking to drive it. My car had 33K miles on it when I bought it, so I know that I SHOULD be able to get atleast 167K miles out of it before I need to start thinking about replacing major items, if maintenance is kept up the way it should be.

Had I bought a 100K mile car I would have dropped a few years off of my "available mileage".

Just my thoughts anyway.

Precisely.

Back