Please Help Me Choose A Suspension Setup

Im in need of new shocks and springs, but I dont know if I should get adjustable coilovers or lowering springs & shocks... I want the car to be slammed so I dont want to get springs and have to cut them, so I would rather something adjustable. Someone told me about ground control, but I dont know....I dont track the car, dont plan to, but may do it in the future, but nothing serious.... Any suggestions

IMG00203.jpg

If you have to have it slammed your going to have to go ground control or height control coilovers.
Other wise a good set of bilsteins and some H&R lowering springs will do wonders for the car.

Blaine

What is everyone's opinion on the JIC FLT-A2 coilovers?

suspension is always in relative term... JIC is about the mid range performance as Tein RA/RE; which they are fine for street /track, maybe a little too rough for street. Until you are getting some nicer double adjustable setup. I liked to call these $2000 compromised set ups. I will group the new Tein mono tube setup a little better than them. but when you check the price you are getting closer to KW V3, (which I still don't have any first person experience, I just know the brand and being it double adj. with all the researchese they made.) I'm sure it'll be far more superior than anything in that price range.

anything cheaper, you get what you paid for. IMO the best will be yellow Koni with ground control, I choose them as you can have some suspension places Spec'd them and they are still fairly comfortable. (Yellow Koni seems to last forever too :wink:)

now if you want to step into the $4000 range, JRZ, Koni race 3012/2812, Moton would be my choice. I doubt you will need them for street driving. but they could be the best suspension option when it comes to street/track dual use track rats.

If you want cheap and low, but still driveable,but not adjustable setup, then mix the H&R springs with the koni yellows.

If you want cheap and low, but still driveable,but not adjustable setup, then mix the H&R springs with the koni yellows.
I thought about it, but I want it to sit just right & I dont want to cut the springs....so ground control sounds like the best way to go

I thought about it, but I want it to sit just right & I dont want to cut the springs....so ground control sounds like the best way to go

You would'nt cut the springs:eek: The H&R's are low enough is what I was saying.Of course if you are one of these guys who wants the car to be so low as to be undriveable:wink: then you will need an adjustable threaded shock.

OEM Front Chin spoiler: $120.00/each

Go ahead and call ahead to your local acura dealer and let them know to keep these in stock for you.

::edit::
So if that's your car in the first post, it already looks lower-than-stock (and damn good with those LMs). What's the motivation here, and have you read up on the handling detriments of going too low? (assuming handling is even a consideration, disregard this question if the car is just going to be a hard-parker).

Last edited:
I have Tein Type-REs on my 91, and are as comfortable as the Eibach/Koni combo on my 95. I think the Type Flex are the closest to the REs, are OK priced IMO at around $1500. Another option would be to go with the JIC FLT-A2 (or SOS spec'd version) coilovers. Everyone that's had them that's posted on the forums said they felt it was one of the best rides they've felt in the NSX. They are a little pricier at $1850-$2000.

You should get a few rides in different NSXs with different coilovers in your area before you make a decision.

You would'nt cut the springs:eek: The H&R's are low enough is what I was saying.Of course if you are one of these guys who wants the car to be so low as to be undriveable:wink: then you will need an adjustable threaded shock.
The rear's are cut right now...your right I dont want it tooo low, because the front tire's rub right now, I want it to sit just right...
OEM Front Chin spoiler: $120.00/each

Go ahead and call ahead to your local acura dealer and let them know to keep these in stock for you.

::edit::
So if that's your car in the first post, it already looks lower-than-stock (and damn good with those LMs). What's the motivation here, and have you read up on the handling detriments of going too low? (assuming handling is even a consideration, disregard this question if the car is just going to be a hard-parker).
My front spoiler's last very long as is, I dont take the nsx to places that have steep entrances, flat surfaces only:cool:...the motivation for the new suspension is that my rear shocks are shot & up front the passenger side is slightly higher than the driver side...I'm not going to go much lower than how it is in the pic, a little bit less than 1/4 inch.
I have Tein Type-REs on my 91, and are as comfortable as the Eibach/Koni combo on my 95. I think the Type Flex are the closest to the REs, are OK priced IMO at around $1500. Another option would be to go with the JIC FLT-A2 (or SOS spec'd version) coilovers. Everyone that's had them that's posted on the forums said they felt it was one of the best rides they've felt in the NSX. They are a little pricier at $1850-$2000.

You should get a few rides in different NSXs with different coilovers in your area before you make a decision.
thanks for the info, at first I wanted to go w/ one of the Tein coilovers, but most ppl say they are too harsh for the street, I'm leaning towards the Koni yellow w/ ground control option

Last edited:
thanks for the info, at first I wanted to go w/ one of the Tein coilovers, but most ppl say they are too harsh for the street, I'm leaning towards the Koni yellow w/ ground control option

Is the Ground Control option a true 'matched' coilover system or just springs and shocks with a Ground Control adjustable spring perch? There are other options out there for the price you want to spend:

If you have Bilsteins already:
http://daliracing.com/v666-5/catalog/index_browse_part.cfm?focus=715

If not:
http://daliracing.com/v666-5/catalog/index_browse_part.cfm?focus=1853 (plus whatever springs you want to run)
http://daliracing.com/v666-5/catalog/index_browse_part.cfm?focus=1439
http://daliracing.com/v666-5/catalog/index_browse_part.cfm?focus=738
http://daliracing.com/v666-5/catalog/index_browse_part.cfm?focus=739
http://daliracing.com/v666-5/catalog/index_browse_part.cfm?focus=740
http://daliracing.com/v666-5/catalog/index_browse_part.cfm?focus=2439 (not too sure how I feel about this one)

*EDIT* Forgot to add that I run Ground Control exclusively on my E36 M3 and must say their stuff is top notch. Their adjustable spring perches are really easy to use and doesn't rust/corrode like lesser brands.

Last edited:
I have TEIN RA's on mine, there's always some of them for sale, used:

http://nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128622&highlight=TEIN

I'd go ahead, spend a bit less for a barely used set of these (or new from SOS -although the RA's are long gone- they are easily adjustable and there's an INCREDIBLE difference on the NSX handling after suspension upgrade!

Oscar

I'd recommend Bilstein shocks with the Dali progressive rate spring. Great setup, slightly better performance than stock and retains the OEM ride quality.

If you want the car "slammed" the Dali springs drop ~1.125" and the lower perch on the Bilsteins will get you another ~.875" for a total drop of about 2.0" which is about as low as I'd recommend lowering the NSX if you want to avoid serious scraping, wheel rubbing and alignment issues.

The whole setup should cost you less than $1,000.

I have a used JIC FLT-A2 coilovers setup for sale PM sent.

I have a set of Eibach Progressive springs that lower the car about an inch for sale for 100 bucks including shipping! Can't beat the deal!

With the Bilsteins, you can even have them add a third perch for a lower drop. I'm not sure if you do this when you order or you have to send them in. One of their warehouse about 2 miles from my house.

Back