Pics from a place few have seen. NAVY related.

I don't post on here very often... but I had one awesome trip to San Diego a few days ago.... so I thought I'd make a post about it, maybe somebody will find enjoyment out of it!

(if any of you navy people out there disagree with anything I say, please tell me so I can correct myself... i'm only a depper so I go by what navy friends and recruiters tell me (who have a bad reputation... but anyways haha).

On thursday I dropped by BUD/S. Don't know what it is? Basic Underwater Demolitions / Seal Training. Anyways, its where the future Navy Seals train to become Navy Seals.

Wait, I don't think anybody knows this.. but I joined the navy, hahaha.

Anyways, the only people who are supposed to go to this place are people in NSW (naval special warface).. which I am NOT. lol.

An Ex-seal and a NSW recruiter took a select group of SEAL/SWCC recruits (NSW) from Los Angeles down to check it out (most of them are wannabe SEALs). So where do I fit in? I'm not going into NSW... mainly cause I don't feel like being shot at and sneaking around and such... I joined up as a "navy diver" which has nothing to do with NSW... diver is NSO (naval special operations)... and the NSW recruiter is also NSO... so he took me.

I know nobody cares about the background and everything.. haha I just felt really lucky I got to go since I had nothing to do with it (and legally i'm not part of that community).. and I hope people even understood what I wrote.

Anyways, onto the pictures.

9DocumentName.jpg

At Naval Base San Diego

Started off with a simple fitness test to see if you make the minimum qualifications to try out for SEAL/SWCC... pullups/pushups/situps.. whoever passed.. got to ride on a SWCC boat (RIB). I passed.

7DocumentName.jpg

8DocumentName.jpg

1DocumentName.jpg

Driver's seat.

2DocumentName.jpg

Passengers' seats. Not really seats. You stand up, and hold onto a bar infront of you... and lean against a small pad... nothing to really hold you in.

3DocumentName.jpg

Big gun mounted behind where I was standing, on the back of the gun (SWCC teams ride super fast boats with bigass guns and shoot people...)

After being on that boat-thingie (RIB)... I must say... it was funner than any rollercoaster ever created... funner than driving my NSX... it was fcuking sick... Something about going that freaking fast on water, bouncing up and down, with super sharp handling (seemed to handled better than my NSX), can stop on a freaking dime (literally)..... BEST RIDE OF MY LIFE.

Navy personell do not EVER get to ride these. My navy friends were super jealous, as were the recruiters. A lot of SWCC don't even get to ride these particular boats.

4DocumentName.jpg

5DocumentName.jpg

6DocumentName.jpg

^Some pictures I snapped when we were coasting back ashore... i could NOT take pictures when we were going full speed and they were showing off the boats... I almost fell out numerous times.. If I had a camera in my had and not holding the bar, I'd be a goner.

---------------

Next, we headed to BUD/S... the main part of the trip. Apparently, our ex-SEAL guy got premission from the NSW command down there for us to go, but we were under strict orders to NOT talk to ANY SEAL students. They didn't even know we were coming. We must have looked weird to them, haha.

We first got there, and immediately some SEAL instructors rushed over to us wanting to know why we were there... I guess nobody told them we were coming. So our "NSW/NSO mentors" explained to them what was up... and they said they've never seen a group of recruits come visit.. and were jealous they didn't get to visit before they went originally... normally the first and last time you see the place is when you're in class there (or if you're an instructor).

A kid who was medically rolled back for fracturing his leg showed us around... Here's some pictures.

10DocumentName.jpg

Main muster location for the students. You can see "frog" prints on the floor... symbolizing what the SEALs used to be called, "frogmen" or whatever.

11DocumentName.jpg

Here you can see, ever-so-slightly, a HUGE row of green helmets along the back wall. There is a bell on the left-edge of the row of helmets. When somebody wants to quit training, they go and ring the bell, and place their helmet along the row, and leave. There was like 60 helmets there! They said the class started with like 120 students, and probably only 20 will graduate. They were around hellweek when we were there (3rd week) and already that many people quit...
img073vk7.jpg

CLOSE UP kinda.

Then we went onto the beach where they do crazy training, rafting, and log carrying.

12DocumentName.jpg

13DocumentName.jpg

Next, we went to the SEAL Obsticle Course.... This was freaking hard...

Some of the obsticles I could barely do. I am so sore from spending an hour "playing" on this adult-style-jungle-gym. It took me 20 minutes to do the thing where you swing on a rope up onto a small log.. some people couldn't even do it (20 minutes in a line of 20 people.. so it took awhile).

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=...412&spn=0.001718,0.002489&t=k&om=1&iwloc=addr
Obsticle course can be seen here.

After this, we ran to the huge-freaking-swimming-pool like a mile away. Got to swim in there (where SEALs learn to scuba), no pictures, left phone with my clothes.

All in all.. this was an unforgettable experience... mostly because I am NOT going to be a Navy SEAL/SWCC so there is no chance in hell I'm ever going to see this place, and have an experience like this ever again.

Okay I'm done with my rant now... haha. Thanks for listening. Oh yeah, I leave may 22st to the navy.

(yeah pictures suck, I didn't know if we were allowed to take pictures, so I tried to be sneaky..... I later found out we could take pictures! grr.)

Hopefully I didn't agitate people who don't like long posts (seems some people got a bit riled up over John@Microsoft hahahahaha)

Awesome post, thanks for sharing!
Good luck in your voyage in the Navy. While i've never seen the training grounds for the SEALS, i've done a many shooting courses with them (and LAPD SWAT) in "combat town" on camp pendleton, CA. They are a great and crazy bunch of guys.

D. Womack
USMC
1st Force Reconnaissance Company
1998-2002

I've watched the BUDS training program on the Military Channel. It's a highly condensed version of the real thing of course, but shows how hard the training is.

It's amazing that human beings can endure such harshness, but I guess when it comes to survival you have to do what you need to do to survive.

Yeah, i've seen a few buds specials too. I even have the 6 hour discovery documentary on bud/s class 234.

It was really cool... felt like being on a movie set.. but in real life (my dad works on movies so I've been on a lot of sets.. but this felt so different).

If you've seen the documentaries, you probably saw that huge pool that they get their dive training in.. I was swimming in there with ONE leg cause i screwed it up. Once in a lifetime shot at that pool and I could barely swim (I screwed up my knee running from Santa Monica to Torrance.. 19 miles. Dumb move haha, too far)

THAT Obstacle course has not changed!!! I ran a number of times back in 1979 as a Midshipman...thinking of taking that career path.

Nice! One of my best friends is there right now. Hell week is in a couple weeks I think. They've barely even gotten in to surf torture and they've already lost over twenty classmates.

What's up buddy.

Take it from someone who's at BUD/S right now that most of what you saw isn't really THAT big of a deal. It's super cool that your recruiters took a bunch of you there to look!

Mostly the aura of SEALs and BUD/S comes from people who've never been around the community and are simply afraid because of the silly stuff they've seen on TV.

Few Facts for ya.

The Frog feet on the Grinder are where you stand during PT sessions in Indoc and 1st Phase.

The helmets on the ground that you saw were from class 264 that just started 2nd phase today. They Started Hell Week with 120something and finished with 80something. Lost nearly 20 to medical hold. Those are only the helmets from 1st phase DORs. (Drop On Request) Those are not including all the guys that quit in Indoc. (about 70)

The "O" course that you guys ran is MUCH easier than it looks. Mainly because of technique. Nearly EVERYONE sucks their first few times going through it because they just don't know how. Each Obstacle has it's own special way of being dealt with, just takes practice. Garauntee you, with an afternoon and some work you could bust it out in under ten while trotting between each obstacle.

Furthermore, don't be so sure that you won't see the NSW compound again. I was in the community for 4 years as an instuctor for Air Ops before even getting to BUD/S. You en route to being a Diver will most likely get the chance for a station in San Diego at one of the Teams, or an EOD unit. Beleive me, it's a lot closer than you think at this point, but you'll see soon enough. :D

If you've got ANY questions about the Navy or NSW don't hesitate to PM or ask. I can answer pretty much anything you can ask, and have quite a few connections in SpecWar/SpecOps community.

Late.

p.s. Those boats are pretty damn cool, huh!

However, as of today, I am now Medically disenrolled due to my ankle being torn apart. Luck is not on my side at the moment.

Surgery/Convalescent Vacation here I come! :mad:

Awesome post, thanks for sharing!
Good luck in your voyage in the Navy. While i've never seen the training grounds for the SEALS, i've done a many shooting courses with them (and LAPD SWAT) in "combat town" on camp pendleton, CA. They are a great and crazy bunch of guys.

D. Womack
USMC
1st Force Reconnaissance Company
1998-2002

I have a "funny" story about Pendleton and LA SWAT...
[email protected]

However, as of today, I am now Medically disenrolled due to my ankle being torn apart. Luck is not on my side at the moment.

Surgery/Convalescent Vacation here I come! :mad:

Sorry to hear that. :frown:

I wish I was younger. I used to work out everyday hard and had great aerobic stamina.

Now that I'm in corporate life I don't work out as much as I like, so I've lost a lot of muscle gain. Getting older doesn't help either.

Heal soon and go at them again!!!!

Back