Picking up my 91 NSX Saturday morning!

After searching for over six month's, I finally found an NSX... It is a black 1991 NSX with ivory interior, 31,000 original miles, 5 speed, and original owner... The car has had the clutch, and timing belt replaced last year... Also, the snap ring issue has already been fixed... Originally I had a 3000gt Vr4 that I sold in September... I started off looking for a low mileage Spyder Vr4 convertible... I said which ever one comes first "NSX/Spyder", I was going to buy... Guess which car came along first :wink:

The NSX is in Michigan right now and I am leaving Saturday morning at 6am to go pick it up... I am from Pittsburgh, PA so its about a 5 hour drive each way which is not too bad... All I can say is, it's going to be a fun ride home :tongue:

As soon as I got the car I was going to replace/refill a few things due to age... I am going to replace the spark plugs/wires, coolant, air filter, and transmission fluid... Anything else I should replace/refill just to bring the car up to peak performance?

Congratulation,and have a fun and safe pickup/drive home.You only need to make sure the car is up to date with all routine service and read the faqs as well as look up old similar threads as there are many good suggestions for new owners.Please join our nsxca and think about driving or shipping to nsxpo in Arizona in October.

Congrats! I would also replace the brake fluid, transmission fluid, and fuel filter if they have not been replaced.

Most important check the tires, make sure that you have plenty of tread, and check the pressure!!! before you turn the key!!!!!

Enjoy the ride!!! Have a safe trip, join the Club, and welcome aboard.

Where in Michigan are you picking it up? I live over near Grand Rapids, love to see it if you are getting it from this area.

I would assume they did the coolant with the timing belt/water pump service last year. Make sure the climate control board works on ALL fan settings.

B Feelgood said:
As soon as I got the car I was going to replace/refill a few things due to age... I am going to replace the spark plugs/wires, coolant, air filter, and transmission fluid... Anything else I should replace/refill just to bring the car up to peak performance?
In addition to the 30K service items mentioned by TigerNSX above (which I'm guessing might have been done as the timing belt replacement), I would suggest checking the door panels to make sure that the window regulators have been either upgraded to the new style or had the window fix-it thingies installed, and also replacing the cooling system hoses.

See if the current owner has the maintenance records for you to check. I'm guessing that since he was knowledgeable and fastidious enough to do the timing belt and water pump, that he might also have already done the spark plugs, coolant, air filter, tranny fluid, and those things that TigerNSX mentioned. If so, it could save you money by not doing them again.

Enjoy it - and bring it to our NSX Club event May 21-23 in Michigan/Indiana to show us!

Congrats! I am in the process of getting service quotes on my 92. I am doing all the things mentioned above to this point but adding rad. hoses, and rubber brake lines that run from the chassis to wheel end. The one quote I have recieved was $3,200 with most of that cost associated with the timing belt and water pump. 10 hours labor and $165 for the belt and $250 for the water pump. My car has 35K miles.

Check to see when the tires were manufactured. Tires do have a shelf life.

Sounds like you found a nice car. Since Mt. clemens is local to me I wish I would have found it last fall. I would much rather have Black and a car that had the major services complete.

Sounds like most of the stuff I am going to do except the water pump/timing belt since it has already been done... I am going to do most of the work myself so hopefully that should save me a decent amount of $ due to labor : )

Is Mt.Clemens a nice area, and how far out of detroit is it?

RPM217 said:
Most important check the tires, make sure that you have plenty of tread, and check the pressure!!! before you turn the key!!!!!

Enjoy the ride!!! Have a safe trip, join the Club, and welcome aboard.

I could not agree more!! As someone who has had to replace multiple sets of rear tires per year, keeping a diligent eye on the tire wear is very important. Be sure to look all the way across the tire, as just checking the outside or middle may not be good enough if your tires are wearing bald on the inside.

Congrats on the car!! You will love driving it. I am taking mine from Fort Wayne, Indiana to Newport News, Virginia this weekend and anticipate a wonderful drive. :)

Hi

Make a roadtrip in pictures for all of us to see. I guess five hours is not that much compared to my trip, but always fun to read about the first trip home in a NSX.

Regards

B Feelgood said:
Sounds like most of the stuff I am going to do except the water pump/timing belt since it has already been done... I am going to do most of the work myself so hopefully that should save me a decent amount of $ due to labor : )

Is Mt.Clemens a nice area, and how far out of detroit is it?

Hi! Congrats on the new ride. I'm about 20 minutes away from Mt clemens - it's a nice area. If the weather is nice I might want to take a short drive to check your NSX. Let me know!

Regards,
Henry

You will not be the first "yunzer" to buy an NSX from MI. A guy from pgh bought mine a while back. If you see a 91 Silver around town with a LOUD exhaust, tell him Nick says Hi.

"Is Mt.Clemens a nice area, and how far out of detroit is it?"

It's ok. Has really built up over the past 20 years. Lots of Urban sprawl.

Mt. Clemens is about 30 miles north east of the city of Detroit.

Us Pittsburgher's prefer the term "yins" :wink:
Jag, I will let you know friday night what time I expect to be there if you were still interested in checking it out...
Only two days left!!! :biggrin: :biggrin:

Back