• ***AVOID MARKETPLACE SCAMS!!***

Scammers are using compromised Prime member accounts to pose as a trusted seller in the marketplace. Before you enter into a deal with any seller, follow these tips to keep yourself safe. If you encounter one of these scammers, please report them immediately and we will lock their account.

Caveat Emptor!

Picking the right swaybar!

Ok well 43% of 3200 pounds still isn't THAT light. I understand it's less than 50% of say 3600 in an M3 or something... but it's not like there is that little weight up front. I am just wondering when you can say you've gone too far. I've watched Dali go from street to a thicker track bar. Then I think the track bar had an even thicker version for a while, then it got thicker with the trophy bar, then the trophy bar got thicker with another version. Now the guy doing autoX here has this one custom bar that looks like you would have to twist a thick piece of plumbing pipe that would never twist.

I guess I am just very surprised as to how thick they seem to be getting. I mean the factory type R bar is looking like a Brazilian thong.

there is a lot more physics involved than just shear weight distribution.....that said I've driven a car with the comtech pro suspension and on street tires...and its fine....the way the nsx susp and wheelbase is designed our cars like a "stiff" front end vs the rear...I can't explain why in technical terms,but I think through the years Billy and other enlightened individuals have told us as much.

there is a lot more physics involved than just shear weight distribution.....that said I've driven a car with the comtech pro suspension and on street tires...and its fine....the way the nsx susp and wheelbase is designed our cars like a "stiff" front end vs the rear...I can't explain why in technical terms,but I think through the years Billy and other enlightened individuals have told us as much.

Doc I understand there is more physics than weight distribution but that's the reason you gave for this car liking a stiff front bar. And I'm saying it's not ALL THAT different... I guess it's very complex. But Honda did actually REDUCE the puny ass stock bar for certain years.

I'm just trying to understand that "why", and figure out why/when you've gone too far. On my personal car this is why I decided to stick with the R bar, really get a feel for the car with its current damper/spring setup, then go thicker and feel the difference. Billy did recommend the trophy bar, and he's never steered me wrong and is obviously quite knowledgable, but this way I can feel the changes for myself both in terms of ride and street and track handling.

you will never find out how thick or stiff is too much on the street anyway....besides you have a real race suspension(probably the only person on prime who has it) that may never see a circuit...so why is your brain wasting neurons on the swaybars. Just enjoy your car..and take comfort in knowing that you could drive to any track and have tons of fun and drive home.

You don't think going over a pothole in the street will tell me I've gone too thick on a sway bar? I think it will. LOL.

My dampers are squeaking less. I think part of it was they had sat a long time. And no one in my car says "what's that". They don't even notice. The handling seems so good I am afaid to F with it. I want to do a few track days then try a thicker bar. I am definitely enjoying the car Doc, believe me. I wish you were close and I could let you take it for a ride. It's quite impressive.

your swaybar will have little to do with how your car feels hitting potholes,your spring rates and damper settings couples with your tire sidewall height have much more to do with it.

your swaybar will have little to do with how your car feels hitting potholes,your spring rates and damper settings couples with your tire sidewall height have much more to do with it.

It essentially does add to the spring rate when only one wheel hits a bump though. You are twisting the bar. If its super thick, it adds resistance up and rebound down. So it does affect damper and spring. Right?

+1...

you will never find out how thick or stiff is too much on the street anyway....besides you have a real race suspension(probably the only person on prime who has it) that may never see a circuit...so why is your brain wasting neurons on the swaybars. Just enjoy your car..and take comfort in knowing that you could drive to any track and have tons of fun and drive home.

Back