Picking the right NSX for myself..

ggpaul

Hi all, so last year I was at the verge of buying an NSX but....I pulled the plug and bought myself a Scion FR-S. I did it cause I needed a daily driver (not saying the NSX isn't but I felt the FR-S was the smarter choice). Well....it's that time again where I'm trying to find the right NSX for myself. I plan on getting one by summer-fall, but I do want to be patient. And so I was wondering if I can get some tips/help as far as choosing the right NSX.

Basically I have a daily now the FR-S, and I want the NSX to be a weekend car. At the same time, I do plan on modifying the car in the future, and changing the motor as well. That being said, is it a bad idea of getting an NSX with a lot of miles in it, or being a much older year such as a 91/92? I'm familiar with the snap ring issue and also the timing belt for the older models.

I'm sure it's all with what's my "budget", but at the same time I'm like in a scenario where I'm thinking

"Get a cheaper NSX, work on it over time and not worry if there's problems cause I still have my daily"

OR...

"Save up and get the latest NSX that's still at 60k+"

Just wondering if I can have some opinions. Thanks guys.

If you're planning on modding it incl. engine work, definitely get an older one with higher mileage, perhaps one that's already modded in the direction you were thinking. It will be cheaper and leave you more money for mods, and the outcome will be the same...

If you're planning on modding it incl. engine work, definitely get an older one with higher mileage, perhaps one that's already modded in the direction you were thinking. It will be cheaper and leave you more money for mods, and the outcome will be the same...

Thanks for the reply. Awesome man. Yeah someone with an NSX told me, that he plans to just drive his car until the motor dies (and from what I hear since it is Honda, these babies last a LONG time esp if you just cruise it and it still has 150k+ miles), and change the motor then.

This is strictly just for the weekend. And moreso a "prize" "goal" kind of car. And for me I feel like it's exciting to make this car grow over time, while not having to worry that I don't have a car to drive during worst case scenarios, since I got the FRS.

Does it really matter about the 5 speed / 6 speed and power steering?

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the reply. Awesome man. Yeah someone with an NSX told me, that he plans to just drive his car until the motor dies (and from what I hear since it is Honda, these babies last a LONG time esp if you just cruise it and it still has 150k+ miles), and change the motor then.

This is strictly just for the weekend. And moreso a "prize" "goal" kind of car. And for me I feel like it's exciting to make this car grow over time, while not having to worry that I don't have a car to drive during worst case scenarios, since I got the FRS.

Does it really matter about the 5 speed / 6 speed and power steering?

I chuckled when reading this; I just went through the same thoughts this past weekend in purchasing my NSX. I know exactly how you feel.

I went with your 1st thought: Get a cheaper NSX and work on it over time. I have a daily, so I went out a got the newest year (1996) I could find while staying under my budget of 30k. Yes it has a few issues, but I am comfortable addressing them on a weekend basis as my project car.

I knew I wanted an NSX, and this doesn't have to be my last.
Good luck.

-Andrew

I ran across this White 92 on Auto Trader Classics. I know nothing about the car or the seller other than the ad. But a 92 with 134k miles that appears it has been maintained by the 2nd owner who says he is now 76 and it's time to sell.
Asking $20k.
I know when I'm 76 I might be tired of crawling in and out of mine. Then again, I might sit in my rocker and just admire it.
I'm not even sure how long it has been posted and if it is still available. Maybe it has been mentioned here on Prime already.
I did a search on the VIN JH4NA1150NT000894, but didn't seem to find anything on it.
http://www.autotraderclassics.com/classic-car/1992-Acura-NSX-1079639.xhtml?conversationId=48579

Great responses. Wow that's a clean NSX for 20k.

I'm definitely going to be patient though and clean out some more of my CC's + Student Loans just to make sure that I can focus more of my $$ into this car :).

Since you mentioned you want to modify and change the engine (SoS 3.8?) I wouldn't recommend getting a nice newer $45k+ NSX unless budget is no issue and you don't care about resale value.

I say find the best 91'-94' within your budget and go from there. You're going to have to do some deferred maintenance and its not going to be perfect, but you'll have the opportunity to get a feel of the car. If you decide you want a "nicer" NSX and budget allows, you can always sell the old one for near what you got it for.

Prices are rising and its getting tougher to find any NSX <$30k.

There is a black one someone just posted on CL in atlanta, 20k, needs a clutch and rim swap immediately ! but 20k is real good price

Awesome help from you guys. Much appreciated! I'm definitely gonna clean out my bills then when that time is rdy, let the games begin :). I'm tired of seeing my Scion Fr-S everywhere on the street too :( :( :( :(. It was rare at one point but not no more.

Don't be afraid of the higher mileage cars. Bought mine a few months ago with 232,000 miles 1991 and the car runs like new. While you might want to modify the car and change the engine, you don't have to. I know you are not looking for a daily driver, but once you start driving the car, well you'll see, that Scion is going to spend a lot of time in the driveway!

I agree with Shrink, I had an 05 TL/navi as my daily driver got the NSX sold the TL, now I didnt have 2 kids at the time and we ended up going right out and buying a newer TL typeS to haul kids around in and in the same color white LOL go figure, told my wife why didnt we just keep my white 05 could have saved us $$$.

like Shrink said high miles mean nothing to these cars if... maintained

when I found my 1st NSX it had high miles, no paperwork or history other than a car fax and a clean title got it for 21K told myself while driving it back from NC that if you can make it home I will make you perfect again.
she made it home and 4-5 years later she is going to grow old with me.

getting in and out of her since she is lowered 2 inches is something on my mind for when I am old but the day I cant get into her is the day my son will get dads old car or at least one of them LOL

Definitely going for the 02 conversion though. Wow you guys definitely inspired me. Will keep you updated, and I can't wait to join the NSX fam. The FR-S group is so into their cars...I feel like I'm the only one that's not purely satisfied. Well, I guess I am, but the NSX is like the DREAM car for me. And nothing can take that away. I could careless if the FR-S is better at handling / track w/e. The NSX is something I know where tears will come down once the keys are handed to me...

^ the frs handles better at the track then the Nsx ???

I would think so. FRS is not a fast car but it's well balanced. But even then, all I care about is getting the NSX. It's what I've wanted since I was 11 (26 now). All in all it really is the driver itself :).

I don't want to get my gf pregnant yet or else I won't ever get my NSX. *KNOCK ON WOOD*. :eek:

Buy an older one with high miles with the anticipation of replacing the block. Then watch how long you can drive on the stock one.

Actually I think the FRS is better balanced. Ive spent a lot of time in them. But that doesn't mean it is faster on a track. Even taking horsepower away, the NSX is on a whole other level in terms of grip. On corner exit it loads the correct tire, and the more uneven weight distribution is a plus. Running on a track at speeds that have the FRS drifting all over the place doesn't even break a sweat on the NSX. Then of course you have more power.

I LOVE the FRS, it's borderline beating out the Miata for me. But let me tell you something man.... the car's are not even remotely close. One feels like exotic and one feels like a really really well engineered inexpensive sports car.

Figure out what you want the NSX for... if you want to do an 02 conversion buy one that is for sale that already has it.

Here's the thing. And I hope everyone would understand, that I'm not buying an NSX to track. I'm buying an NSX as a prize, a goal, a dream that I've always wanted since I was a kid. It's more than a car to me. And I'm sure a lot of you can relate to that feeling. It will and I KNOW for sure, will give me the chills knowing that I have my dream car. Regardless if there's a car that's better handling or whatever, or even faster than this I don't give a ****. It's not about that FOR ME at least. It's just having my car.

Here's the thing. And I hope everyone would understand, that I'm not buying an NSX to track. I'm buying an NSX as a prize, a goal, a dream that I've always wanted since I was a kid. It's more than a car to me. And I'm sure a lot of you can relate to that feeling. It will and I KNOW for sure, will give me the chills knowing that I have my dream car. Regardless if there's a car that's better handling or whatever, or even faster than this I don't give a ****. It's not about that FOR ME at least. It's just having my car.

That's exactly how I felt when I bought mine, though it is fun at the track. :)

I'm actually in the same boat as you (well, similar). I just finished my undergrad last year and have started working. Saved up some money and now I'm considering between the FR-S or NSX. The thing that's different with me is that I'm using a family car as my daily driver to get to work. A problem for me is that I have to take days off from work to travel down to the States if I see a potential NSX online. Good luck on your search!

I do plan on modifying the car in the future, and changing the motor as well.
What do you mean by "changing the motor"? Have you driven one, and discovered that it lacks power? Or do you want to swap out the engine with a Corvette block or something? I don't understand your intentions and the reasoning behind them, especially since you say it's going to be a "prize" car and you don't care about performance.

Last edited:
Guys, been a couple weeks that I've posted here but I just want to say I GOT MY FIRST NSX!!!!! That's my FRS in the back lol. Finally!! After 15 years! (Been wanting it since I was 11). I am now part of the NSX CLUB!
photo.jpg
IMG_2097_zps869880d6.jpg
photo-1_zpsd88ba88b.jpg

Last edited:
Back