PIC request, Bilstein shocks with stock springs

I have installed Bilstein shocks on the lower perch with the stock springs.

I initially installed Comptech Sport Springs with Bilsteins but the ride height dropped about a half inch after 6 months and the rear tires wore down to nothing. I found that if you go with a drop that is more than approximately 1.25 inch, alignment specs cannot be met and you will experience extreme tire wear. After this, I removed the Comptech Springs and put the stock springs back on. Best thing I ever did. For me, the ride and ride height are perfect this way. I anticipate installing the NSX-R chassis bars but have not yet done so.

I don't have good pics to post but the drop is around an inch.

Here is mine. Running Bilstein shocks on lower perch with stock springs. I am also using 15mm front/25mm rear wheel adapters. It was a little less than an inch drop for me. Ride is smooth and not jarring, very similiar to stock. I am happy over here :cool:

15629stockvsbilstein.jpg

'05 with Stock springs / lower perch

05NSX2.jpg

Are youguys scraping a lot more?
Any problems with Acrua or anyone else getting your car onto the lift?

Can you guys running Bilstein Shocks with stock springs post some pics? How much of a drop can you get with this setup. Are you happy with ride quality? Yur input is appreciated ;).

Bat™

Hey Bat,

I think you saw my car at the meet we had back in September. My car is lowered with Bilsteins/OEM springs on the lower perch. My car is the Formula Red farthest to the right in the pictures.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76419

No more scraping than with stock shocks. There have been no problems getting on lift at dealer or Autowave. I also have the 15 mm and 25 mm spacers and they really make a diff.

Love it.

I forgot to mention that I'm running 25mm wheels adapters on the front and back. The ride quality is very similar to stock, only slightly stiffer. It doesn't scrape more than at stock height.

The .7" drop with the Teins in the front will be less than the .875" drop with the Bilsteins/OEM springs on the lower perch. If you replace the springs with aftermarket ones, you're best off replacing the shocks as well. I believe if you mount aftermarket springs on OEM shocks, the OEM shocks will wear out faster.

The car I'm looking at has less than 4k on it. I spoke with Mark at Dali Racing. He suggested since the miles are so low on the car I'm eyeing, I might as well use those shocks 'till they wear out.

What I like about the Tein springs is the front rear fender gap is even throughout.

Bat™

anyone sporting just Tein Springs?

Bat™
Andy,

This is my nsx running stock suspension + Tein Springs. 1" drop rear, .7" drop front. 16/17 oem wheels.

44.jpg

The lowering is very minimal. I personally wasn't happy with the drop, but I was running 25mm spacers front and rear so that push the wheels out more and exzagerated the gap a bit more, + the front wheel were 16".

I ended up adding Bilsteins shocks and ran lower perch. 1.875" drop rear. 1.575" drop front with 17/17 wheels.
11309garage1.jpg

Thanks guys. After looking at your pics, I may want to go a tad lower. I'm looking at maybe Tein Springs, which drops the car .7" up front and 1" in the back.

6a662.jpg

Bat™

Bat, what is the drop on this NSX? is this Bilsteins lower perch and stocks? Where did you get this picture?

Hi,
I thought I revive an old thread instead of duplicating.

I have Red 93 NSX and currently have SSR GT-7's 18" x 275 x 9.5 rears / 17" x 215 x 8.5.

I have been considering Bilstein shocks while using OEM Springs. I want to lower the car at least an inch +.
I understand Bilsteins only lowers the car 3/4". Is this true? Does anyone have similar size wheels / tires with Bilstein and OEM springs? Not sure if 3/4" is going to be enough. However, I don't want to be scraping driveways either.

I'm basically looking for a lowered look and a comfort OEM ride. Not into tracking or racing the NSX.

Thanks,

Bumping this to see if anyone else has examples to add.
I'm on the fence as to go bilsteins with stock springs, or coilovers.

Thanks

Hi

I got the same question on mail from a friend today which has bought a NSX-T and here is some info I found here using the search:

Thread 1, thread 2, How it looks on Ghebas X and now my NSX

From what I can read going Bilstein's and on lower perch is the way to go with stock springs.

NSXtasy says it best in the first thread:

"I think you would find that springs will have an effect on ride quality.

You need to decide what you care most about:

Lowest cost: Leave stock.

Comfortable ride: Leave stock, or replace shocks with Bilsteins on lower perch

Lower appearance: Replace shocks with Bilsteins on lower perch, or aftermarket springs."

Regards

Currently I have Eibach springs and Bilstein shocks. I'm finding the ride quality too harsh. So I'm considering putting the stock springs back in while retaining the Bilsteins. Lower perch or upper? What will the end results be?

Thanks for any input.

Brad

Currently I have Eibach springs and Bilstein shocks. I'm finding the ride quality too harsh. So I'm considering putting the stock springs back in while retaining the Bilsteins. Lower perch or upper? What will the end results be?

Thanks for any input.

Brad

Hi

I would go on stock springs on lower perch. I have Bilstein's with that setup and Midnight Sun Express also got his lowered with Bilstein's and on lower perch.

I am sure it looks a lot better now. All pictures I have seen of NSX'es that have been lowered a little looks a lot better than stock. I will also lend Midnight Sun Express my wheel adapters as I do not need them.

That is the two things that the NSX needs to have changed from stock. Lowered and moved the wheels out some compared to stock.

Pictures of my car can be found on the links I provided if I am not mistaken. Or you can have a look on my gallery where there are some pictures that looks nice. I have Bilstein's on lower perch just to repeat that.

Regards

Thanks for any input.

Brad

Brad,

See my post for pics. I am on the lower perch with stock springs. Ride quality is definitely not harsh. If you want additional pics, let me know.

Jim

Back