Photo shoot 2002 Silverstone BC Racing wheels

I beg to differ - moving the wheel hub past the back of the rim may give enough clearance for larger brakes to fit without increasing wheel diameter. Isn't this exactly why someone chooses to use a 5MM spacer in some cases to clear a larger brake caliper in width rather than purchase new wheels with an additional +5MM offset.

:confused: Wheel diameter has nothing to do with offset. I assume you mean wheel width. It would be a much better decision to purchase a wheel with the correct "disk type" than to purchase a lower disk type that won't clear the brake caliper. You can generally purchase both disk types in the same offset. One higher disk might clear the caliper, one lower disk might not.

For most 2 piece wheels, what you describe is not true, as the face remains the same and they just choose to weld it to the barrel at the correct offset.

I think what Adrian I saying is that it has less to do with offset and more to do with spoke shape and the thickness of the wheels back pad. For example I could have the exact same wheel made with the exact same offset and make it clear BBK, however you would not be able to achieve the deep concave or deep lip. So the disc portion of the wheel would move out via a thicker backpad but the outer lip would be in the same position. Alternatively, if you are looking at the a wheel design that is rubbing on the spoke area you have to establish that the lower offset will be achieved by a thicker back pad, not more depth on the outside of the wheel, thats where a nice 5mm spacer comes in handy. In other words, if you are buying an off the shelf wheel, you better send the seller your brake clearance diagram and have them confirm fitment.

Very well said.. GT Theory said it so eloquently!

Here's a diagram that shows how high end wheel manufacturers use different "disk types" to get various brake caliper clearances. Most low end wheels don't have these options...
DiskType.jpg

Chuck, your car looks incredible how's the f16 doing "thanks Chuck"....Bill

Thanks Bill! Long time no hear, hope all is well. Since moving to Tucson, the F16 has gotten a bit older with a different motor/ less thrust, but I'm still flying them so it's all great!:smile:

Looks unbelievably good viper. Wow...

Out of curiosity, what did these wheels weigh?

Thank you. Rear being 19x10? I wish bc forged had more stylish single piece wheels. Their monoblocks are not that pretty.

Vipers is the prettiest wheel I have seen on an NSX. But although not heavy, still a bit too much for me.

Last edited:
Back