Personal racing highlights, street or track. NSX or other

I didnt see any threads related to this so figured I would post this here.

Any great stories that you have to share?

My most recent "event".

"cant shake him!!!" 996 pilot had rude awakening

Heading to a Dr. appointment this morning, I spot a strawberry red 911 styled Porsche, about 10 cars ahead of me taking a meandering right hand corner. I had left a bit early, figured hell why not. Grabbing a handful of second gear I quickly closed the gap. The Porsche pilot seen my advance and pushed the throttle a bit more before having to stab the brakes for a red light.

Heart pounding, breathing deeply I make a mental note to read the model number this time. 996. I dont know much about that model, but I did take notice that he had some pretty beefy tires on the rear. Beautiful car, silver deep dished bbs style wheels, exhaust was throaty. Vanity plates.. "PWRSCHE" a truely beautiful car...

Porsche pilot meets my gaze in his mirror, Me grinning ear to ear... I see him raise his hand and he starts to wave goodbye to me. I dont think so... His turn signal was on, so I initiate my own blinker. Light goes green, the few cars ahead of us were going straight and were allowed a few faint moments to clear the roadway.. This guy was able to equal my own 4500 rpm launch. Like a rocket both of us were off like a bullet, and he attacked the corner with a vengance, I have to say he negotiated that turn with a beautiful 4 wheel powerslide, rearend slightly kicked out. I matched his slide through the turn, still in first gear. Both of us are still in first out of the turn, engine screaming, we shift synchronesly, and he is waving again.... I am still 3/4 of a car behind him since that initial powerslide through the corner, and he showed no signs of pulling. Close enough to him to see a ring on his pinky finger.

The Porsche dropped his hand to reach for third... Third gear came into being for both of us, My smile never failing, maintaining my 3/4 car distance we ran third out for a few moments before shutting down. He never once pulled away, in ANY fashion.

I pulled up next to him, smiling He smiles back and shakes his head like "no way he cant believe it." and returned my thumbs up. I told him that he had an exceptional machine and he said "yeah thanks" he tapped the brakes and pulled in to the post office. I kept on going, and pulled a u turn, seeing him out of the car, I gave a couple of revves just to say thanks and he gave a wave.

It was a great, great time.

I really do live for this stuff.

I was in my Modified
3000GT VR4....

Perhaps this should be moved to the track talk / racing forum. sorry about that.

[This message has been edited by spyonu2007 (edited 12 February 2003).]

You don't see any of these type of posts b/c street racing is discouraged here. Most racing is done at the track.

If that interests you, then maybe this clip of me being chased by an uber-driver in an uber M3 will interest you as well.

http://www.ceegeez.com/hallett_vids.htm

Click on M3vs.NSX

Ummm...I once was behind a student driver in a Geo prism in a two-lane road that was about to merge. I can see he wanted a piece of me and my Nsx because he had 2 hands on the steering wheel and was so focused. So I gunned it and hit Vtec and beat him to the merger. Man, that was a close one. I mean, what if he had nos or a turbo-charger or both! I can't wait in the furture to tell my kids about that one. My friend in the car was like man, you really smoked that kid. (If you are still reading this, you can obviously feel the sarcasm, but I did end up passing him because he was going 15 below speed limit)

Spyonu2007, you do not see many kill-type stories on this website because just like pony said, street racing is not encouraged here. That said, welcome to the forum.

What is the fun of having a Jap super car if you dont let her out to play every once in a while?

If the site doesnt condone writings of real life events, that happen on the street, fair enough. I wont post any.

I for one intend to strech the legs of my (soon to aquire) NSX-T to its fullest potential. It may not be the 1/4 mile king that some of the other cars are, but I look forward to the carving the turns and powering through corners.

This post was to initiate writings of car experiences, street and track. I wasnt really after, "How many Honda Civics have you taken down in miday traffic?".

Though on that thought, I would hate to think that given the chance, at a stoplight, the pilot of the an NSX would forego the oppertunity to take down the guy reving next to him... Perhaps that is a sign of maturaty. I for one would give it a go to the posted speed limit providing conditions were right.

I have worked hard for the "toys" that I own. I am not going to baby my supercars.

I'm sure that quite a few of us on this board (myself included) have been baited into a senseless race before. The difference you will find on this board is that we don't feel the need to brag about it. I believe we are more mature of a crowd to feel the need to talk about such trivial matters. We don't have anything to prove to the guy in the lane beside us. How often do we have 'them' revving at us as opposed to us revving at 'them'.
I too work very hard for my 'toys' but I do baby it. I would like to keep it in nice shape and dependable.
That being said, you are saying that in a 'modified' 3000GT you stayed right with a 996? C'mon now.

------------------
ALL NSX
92 RED/BLACK 5-SPEED

Porsche Engine
Type Six cylinders, twin turbocharges, water-cooled
Bore 100 mm
Stroke 76.4 mm
Displacement 3.6 liters (3600 cc)
Compression ratio 9.4 : 1
Horsepower (SAE ) at rpm 415 hp @ 6000 rpm
Maximum torque 415 ft.lbs. @ 2700-4600
Maximum RPM 6750 rpm
Curb weight Manual Tiptronic
3395 lbs 3494 lbs
Performance Manual Tiptronic S
0-100 kph (0-62 mph)* 4.2 sec. 4.9 sec.
Top track speed* 189 mph 185
Coefficient of drag .31 .31
Fuel Economy Manual Tiptronic

Yes
My "modified vr4" stayed attached to the waving 996 pilots bumper.
Horse power at flywheel 420-425
Redline 7250
gross weights 3600 lbs + driver
By modified I mean: New 4 bolt motor, new stock clutch, steel braided clutch line. Completely rebuilt tranny with a Kormex 25 spline output shaft and spool, new transfercase, dead kittys, dnp dp, hks super dragger exhast, hks intake, .028 gap, 8mm taylors wires. Bradi sloted and dimpled rotors, Creebotek MBC set at 16.5psi Autometer lunar series a/f,egt,and boost gauge on the a pillar.
TO Be installed Two 13g turbos,Denzo pump, 450cc injectors.
To be purchased: fuel control (motec), agressive street cams, metal head gaskets.
1st day at the track:
12.90@ 104mph in strait street trim. 3/4 tank of 93 octane, 75 degrees. Hatch full of parts(full weight) @ 14.5 psi
13.00 @ 111.1 GTEC 1/4 tank 93 octane 40 degrees at 13psi
165+ on factory defictive speedo.

If you say so.....
rolleyes.gif

------------------
ALL NSX
92 RED/BLACK 5-SPEED

If there are any members closer to Peoria, I'd be happy to take anyone for a ride. I realize reading stories is just that. Until you feel what a 4500rmp launch feels like, I could see your disbelief.. The Porsche said 996 on the tail end. My ego would love to believe that it was a turbo. However, the turbo 996 says "turbo". not 996.

In retrospect I should of chatted with the guy.

Is a 996 a turbo? do all 996's that are turbocharged say turbo? did this guy debadge a "turbo" and put 996 on it? Who knows.

There are so many possibilities on the street it is hard to say for sure what it was. It was nice looking, it said 996, and the guy who was waving soon realized that he wasnt pulling away.

Thanks for hijacking the thread. Got any race stories to share from Florida?

Originally posted by spyonu2007:
Until you feel what a 4500rmp launch feels like, I could see your disbelief..

Been there and done that with the VR4 thing.

Problem was that after the initial launch, the car's weight manifests itself severely and the fun factor rapidly declines.

The VR4 is more GT than sportscar.

I would hate to think that given the chance, at a stoplight, the pilot of the an NSX would forego the oppertunity to take down the guy reving next to him...

What's there to prove?

That I am at the same pathetic juvenile level as the guy revving at me?

I don't think so.

1. A base 996 has around 300 HP. Doesn't a 3000GT VR4 have that much stock?

2. The Porsche 996s I've seen were not badged as "996". They were badged as "Turbo" or "Carrera" or "Targa" or "GT2", etc... ??

What is the fun of having a Jap super car if you dont let her out to play every once in a while?

We do, it's just that for most NSX owners I've met, "fun" does not mean racing every yahoo that revs at a stoplight.

I for one intend to strech the legs of my (soon to aquire) NSX-T to its fullest potential.

It is simply not possible to use an NSX to anywhere near it's full performance potential on the street. That is why many of us occasionally go to the track. Once you drive a sports car on a real race track, you realize that idea of "street racing" is laughable.

[This message has been edited by Lud (edited 14 February 2003).]

I posted the 911 turbo specs, for those are what I found under 996. The car had 996 on the back, plain as day, got a real good look at it. Is a Porsche owner false flagging? Was it not a 996? Only "pwrsche" can say for certain. Considering the event was 1st, 2nd and the bottow of third gear, I was happy. Perhaps the guy was toying with me? Wouldnt think so by his waving, but then again he could of been an educated fellow using the reverse psychology technique on me.

"Fun" defined. Fun to me is anything that creates a large grin factor. Odd that this thread would have an effect on me the way it did, I'm not grinning.

I went out last night and "streched the legs" on my cheapo supercar. Got some good driving in. Enjoyed myself. Grining again.

Perhaps my heavy tank is "limited" enough that I can push the car on the street? Maybe. Though it is the fastest accellerating car I have owned though it does have its limitations...Like goosing it around a corner and having the rear come out to say hello while I stay on throttle allowing the awd to sort it out....It goes where I point it...One hell of a limitation.

I sense that there is a hint of "exclusiveness" on this board, and at the first sign of an event being at all in the "to good to be true" or (bull$hit)relm everyone (hardcore NSX pilots) wants to chime in calling foul.

This thred was an oppertunity to share "fun" experiences. To help make others understand what the NSX and their drivers are all about.Looks like I got a glimps of what that is.

It is a good excuse I guess. The whole "I am more mature than the guy next to me, and I wont beat on my "super car" to show what a wonderful constructed machine it is. No I think that I 'll sit back and watch this little "imature" punk squeel his tires and drive like a moron."

The moron has a big smile as he leaves the nsx behind. To the moron, he won that race. To him it was race, and he gave it his/ her all and took out that "supercar" in his fart canned honda. Grin factor for the "moron". Ignorance is bliss. He would of smiled a hell of alot more and gave you an aproving thumbs up, had you at least paced him. Interaction with the mainstream fellas. However you are to good for that. The cost of you wheels and tires equals the cost of his whole car! Whey would you give the time of day to that little over aggressive driver? You are better than him. Right? That is how it comes across. Feeding the rich guy stereotype.

Example is again related to the street, not a track.

I am taking a stab here fellas in stating that perhaps the NSX's home is more for the track, emphasis on handling, vs raw acceleration. If I owned one I would choose my battles I guess, not sure how I could handle getting whipped by your average LS1 Camaro after dropping 40-50 large on a shiny garage ornament. Wait a tic, thats what promped me to buy the Vr4 in the first place, facing the Corvettes that are so abundant, pushed me to mod my car.

In the end fellas, it comes down to enjoying the drive. If the track is where you can push you car to that level of enjoyment, so be it. I for one enjoy every day that I drive, all year round. Snow... The awd drifitng through the powder is somthing that my "maturaty" level enjoys.

Those of you who find more enjoyment in flaming vs. sharing your "war stories" go ahead, I have broad shoulders flame away.

Perhaps there are just no stories for you to tell, and maybe some if you bought the car to tool around in, go to church, and tuck it away neatly in the garage. Boy that makes my heart race, what a rush...

Flaming aside, those of you who are "drivers", I am refering to the pilots that go out for the drive, that has no problem taking off at 10pm just to go burn a tank of gas, to practice that good strech of road that you are so attuned with. The owner that looks forward to the rear tires being bald because of the traction advantage it gives. The guy that is willing to push, and push hard for the thrill of it. The guy that pushes the limits of his car, not watching the speedometer, driving by feel, feeling every vibration that the road is giving you. That is who I want to hear from. Tell me about the sick S curve you attacked and got the rear loose, but pulled it out in the end.

I want to hear from the supercar pilots. The ones who bought the car to use it as it was meant to be used.

You guys that have made the purchase decision based on the status that it brought, you self indulgant wieners need not respond.

[This message has been edited by spyonu2007 (edited 13 February 2003).]

Are you serious?

Way to begin your membership in this forum, big boy.

I'm rereading it and laughing.
smile.gif

Chill out man. You are new here and you are already on the attack against and making assumptions about people you don't even know.

The fact is, there are NSX owners who street race or take people up on the challenge when they rev at a stoplight. However it usually gets really old when people are doing it ALL THE TIME.

How many times are you going to race? 5 times a day when you're just trying to run across town?

Is it worth a reckless driving ticket (or worse in some areas) every time someone revs at you?

Is it worth someone being killed or injured? Even if you are not dangerous, you have no idea if the person revving on you is going to take off like a maniac with no regard for other people. In addition to feeling like crap if that happened, you can and probably will be held legally liable if the person you are racing injures or kills someone else.

So that is why I say most NSX owners I've met don't really consider it "fun". It is not because we are snobs, it's because it's not very interesting and has a lot of serious down-sides.

I never made any negative comments about your car. You started in saying you thought it was ridiculous we don't go out and have fun with our cars or "push them to the limit" like you plan to.

We share your enthusiasm for performance driving. The feel, the speed, the balance, the "edge," all of that! Yes, I like a bunch of curvy local roads and the S-turn I take on the back way to the post office.

And many of us DO push our cars hard, far harder than you can ever push them on the street, but to push it that hard and really have fun you need a track. Yes, I've 4-wheel drifted on back roads and it's a lot of fun. But the simple fact is, you can't really push an NSX, or a Porsche 911, or RX7, or your 3000GT, or any other sports car to the limit on the street. Breaking traction simply means you have hit a limit, not that the car has hit a limit.

And again, I do not say that to be arrogant - anybody with virtually any kind of car can participate in track events. I promise you that once you try it, stoplight racing will suddenly seem a lot less interesting.

It's one of those things where once you do it, the other things you used to do suddenly seem much less attractive. Have you ever bungee jumped? I did a few times many years ago and I thought it was great. Then I went skydiving and suddenly bungee jumping wasn't very interesting anymore. That doesn't mean I look down at people who bungee jump, it's just that I've found something that I personally find much more exciting.

Almost everyone thinks they are a really good driver until their first track event. Once you learn how to REALLY drive fast, I'll gurantee that you too will suddenly take a lot less interest seeing who is fastest at the next stoplight.

"big boy"? someones lady been talking about me again eh?

I was impressed that my low buck tank hung with a "german bred supercar" yes.

I am happy to show the owner of said car that though he was waving buh-bye doesnt mean he was going to run away.

Funny how ones heart grows cold from anomisity. I was pro nsx for a long time.. A few of the first posts made me feel welcome.

So I am left as the odd man out. I own a 3000gt. I beat a 996. I shared this event in hopes that others would share the same.

As far as "off to a great start". Sometimes people are closed off, living their high dollar lives, perhaps they cant except that a lowly 8000 dollar car can hang with the big boys.. ( in a staight line ) so be it.

When it comes down to it, those of you who are "haters" are perhaps a little horspower deprived. Go buy a supercharger. Race a few nights, get the big grin and enjoy life.

BTW. I own a 1991 Vr4. "early and ugly".

Somewhere this turned into a whole defend the 3000gt/ Stealth campaign. Not my intention.

All I wanted to hear was the real events of NSX owners....

For the one who posted about the "uber" bmw I havent had a chance to check it out, but thanks.

True, my only track events have been a scca rally cross event, it was a very very slow course. Fun... alot of fun..Muddy as hell.

I will get some track time in this spring and summer, whether it is an NSX or the VR4 we will see. Always thought about taking the 944 to a drivers school.

I have more to learn about racing, I may race more often than not, mainly because I was always running the 944 against the newer, badder v8 and dsm cars out there.
12 years I have been running on the back roads, pushing the ,limits. Dangerous, sure enough. I try to time it when no one is out, short of the stray jogger out late. I apologize for any personal attacks that I have comitted.

Driving... Driving I am most passionate about.

Never tried skydiving. Would like to.

Well, see ya at the tracks.

Cheers.
Dan

Dan,

You remind me so much of me when I was 16, done this and that.

I would really love to see the "GRIN" on your face when the cops book you in for wreckless driving.

Ohhh and yes, I have done Hammerhead drops and spins on a "Super Decathalon"
wink.gif
talk about "GRINS".

R.Antonio

[This message has been edited by spartan2-3 (edited 13 February 2003).]

...12 years I have been running on the back roads, pushing the ,limits. Dangerous, sure enough. I try to time it when no one is out, short of the stray jogger out late. ...

Dan,

not try to slam you. From my experience instructing and running my own event, I've seen this kind of attitude get humbled really fast. Most of the people who has this attitude, will be in rude awakening when they hit the track.

------------------
<A HREF="http://www.tracknutz.com" TARGET=_blank>www.tracknutz.com
</A>
Join us Feb 16 at Buttonwillow!

Back