Performance Test At Nsxpo

I don't know if anybody has tried to do this before, but here is an idea. Since there are 150-200 NSX's at NSXPO why not perform some testing on different aftermarket equipement such as - big brake kits, suspensions, turbos, superchargers. To even the playing field you just need to have one or two sets of the same tires and rims and swap them to each NSX being tested. I personally would love to see a comparison of big brake kits - brembo, stoptech, wilwood, etc. If we could see 5 different cars per category that would be perfect!

Examples....

Big Brake test.
70mph-0, 100mph-0 (time & distance)
-stock
-wilwood
-Brembo gran turismo
-Brembo Indy
-Stoptech
-AP Racing

Suspension test (stock engines if possible)
autocross, slalom (600ft), 1 lap time trial
-stock
-JIC/science of speed
-moton
-tein
-koni
-hks
-NSX type R

Engine - N/A vs Turbo vs Supercharger
0-60mph, 0-100mph, 50-70mph, 1/4 mile, horse power
-stock 3.0 / stock 3.2
-comptech supercharger
-lovefab turbo
-science of speed stage 5 N/A 3.8 litre
-others?

Overall performance - Complete package (anything)
autocross, 1 lap time trial
-comptech
-science of speed
-lovefab
-mugen
-Pulp Racing (where are these guys these days?)

Once a year we have all of these cars together and it would be nice to see equal testing with the same tires and some sort of professional guest driver or a qualified NSXPO participant. If these test already exist on another thread please let me know or if they exist in the NSXCA magazine "Driver" let me know.

Does anybody else want to see these back to back test performed and with results or even a "VIDEO". Let's get Car&Driver or Grassroots Motorsport or some other magzine to come and help out.

I have camera equipement with 2 on-board set-ups and I'm sure we could get a few more video cameras and tri-pods and other participants to help out.

Here's a though - get "Best Motoring" and the "Drift King" to come and do an episode at NSXPO!:cool:

Any thoughts?

P.S. Honda - please build something special to carry on the NSX idea, something that will give us a taste of the Honda Formula 1 experience.

Maybe I should help out and organize this for the 2008 NSXPO in Portland, since I'm in Seattle, WA. Would love to have other ideas.

There would probably be insurance/liability issues associated with your recommendations, especially with anything described as a "time trial". We obtain coverage for HPDE only and anything beyond that would pose a potential risk to the NSXCA.

So for insurance reason change the "time trial" to "one lap evaluation". I still think a lot of NSX owners and enthusists would appreciate the comparison test. If there truely is an issue with the insurance policy - then maybe at NSXPO Portland "Best Motoring" or someone could rent the track for a 1/2 day to perform the comparison and keep NSXPO out of it. The only thing that would be needed is to have the participants and their vehicles there 1 day early.

I guess there is always some "INSURANCE" issue someone has to bring up.:mad:

We did do a time trial at the texas 02 xpo,but it is a hassle, cuts into everyones track time,and is enjoyed by a smaller percentage of attendees.Also there is a liability issue for the whole event if timing is done. you can see pics here http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15533&highlight=nsxpo+time+trial Quite frankly there is so much stuff packed into the few non track days that all of your ideas just can't be sqeezed in,but every year folks pose the exact same ?We evan had a hard time getting someone to foto and catologue all the different wheel combos,and exhaust sound clips.

Well I just sold my NSX last week to someone in Washington DC, so I will be NSXless for a year or 2. I have completed a lot of video work at other track days including on board shots and also specialize in shifter kart races. If I am not driving during the Portland NSXPO, then count me in to get all of the sound clips, wheel shots, and other info and actually produce a dvd. If no one wants to official record lap times that is fine, but having someone using the G-Force meter and getting the basic info off each car should not be that difficult. The tire changing may be an issue, but if enough participants are interested we should be able to complete this. I am going to look into getting BEST MOTORING to the Portland NSXPO for 2008. For those of you not familiar with BEST MOTORING check out www.bestmotoringvideo.com

As far as the time trial - this was to be done by a professional or qualified driver with 4-5 cars to see who has the best set-up overall (power & handling). If the lap time is about 2:00 minutes this should not take to much time with 5 cars. Did not mean that everybody is running a time trial lap. But a professional driver can have an opinion on the best overall car instead of a timed lap to satisfy the insurance gods.

Last edited:
StuntMan; where are you? I'd think you'd be all over this:biggrin:

maybe we can rent a drag strip for some 1/4 mile fun?:biggrin:

Great idea Dean!!! I am in for support and help to get something like that together. It would be nice to see the NW NSXers pull together for something cool like that. NSXPO is getting boring with the same thing every year. So lets work toward getting BM for next year...:biggrin:

NSXPO is getting boring with the same thing every year.

Since we always strive to make NSXCA events, especially NSXPO, better each year, I am curious as to your frame of reference. For how long have you been an NSXCA member and how many NSXPOs have you attended?

Since we always strive to make NSXCA events, especially NSXPO, better each year, I am curious as to your frame of reference. For how long have you been an NSXCA member and how many NSXPOs have you attended?

:biggrin: Funny, havent missed on since 04 and they keep getting better every year. Orlando was unreal and Phoenix was something special, the after hours festivities were unreal:biggrin:

I don't know if anybody has tried to do this before, but here is an idea. Since there are 150-200 NSX's at NSXPO why not perform some testing on different aftermarket equipement such as - big brake kits, suspensions, turbos, superchargers. To even the playing field you just need to have one or two sets of the same tires and rims and swap them to each NSX being tested. I personally would love to see a comparison of big brake kits - brembo, stoptech, wilwood, etc. If we could see 5 different cars per category that would be perfect!

Once a year we have all of these cars together and it would be nice to see equal testing with the same tires and some sort of professional guest driver or a qualified NSXPO participant. If these test already exist on another thread please let me know or if they exist in the NSXCA magazine "Driver" let me know.
In order to test a specific aspect of performance (handling, braking, etc...) to get an accurate results from testing you need to have as many constants as possible. For braking tests, you need consistant vehicle weight, suspension, tires, wheels, etc... to single out the performance of the brakes. To take it a step further, if someone has race pads in their BBK, while another has street pads, the performance of the kit itself will also be altered, so technically we would need everyone on the same brake pad. Besides this point, 1-stop 80-0 or 100-0 dosnt tell you anything other than 'cold bite' of the brake pad/system. BBKs show their performance on track driving where the repeated braking is tested to the limit. A BBK disperses heat and remains more consistant with pedal feel and the ability to slow the car down than stock or crappier BBK systems.

So for a brake test alone their are a lot of criteria that must be met for a true/accurate test of a BBK. If you want to record the performnace of kit A vs. kit B and write down what pad, vehicle weight, etc... it has, then it would be a lot easier.

An experienced driver would be necessary to get all of the performance out of each aspect of testing with minimal time (as stated). To test the handling of a car, I personally wouldn't reccomend an autoX. I'm not going to express my opinions on AutoX but a road course would be a more appropirate environment to test brakes, suspension, tires, power, reliability, etc...

In conclusion, their are many variables that need to be taken into consideration in these types of tests. I personally still think it would be cool to have these types of tests, but their are a lot of things to consider in what information/data you want and are actually going to get.

I believe Mark Johnson (Dali) is having an NSX tuner shootout inviting all of the top NSX tuners to show what their tuning abilities are for an all out performance battle. I heard that the owners of the cars must be the drivers, which will create false data due to varying driver ability and IMO, defeats the whole purpose of trying to find out which shop creates the most reliable, fastest, best car. If each shop was allowed to bring their own 'best' driver, that would be a little more accurate but even so, it would still vary too much from driver skill when trying to find the best performing car, so a single driver doing all the tests would be needed. Mark replied that many of the tuning shops would not (and already denied the proposal) of having a professional driver test their car (out of fear of their own vehicles abilities/reliability?).

So if the tuners/shops out there wanted to have bragging rights and felt that they have the best/most reliable setup, what better way to do it than by a competition -the point of motorsports/racing/doing this little 'hobby' of ours. I can understand the side of the shops having someone they don't know drive and possibly through driver error, blow up their expensive investment. But their are professional drivers around with great driving records where this won't be an issue. So in order for this test to happen, you need the top NSX tuning shops to have confidence in their own product and bring it out for a competition to see who truly has the best tuning abilities. So until more than 1 NSX shop that has confidence in their own products performance and reliability, you won't be seeing these tuner shootouts like you commonly see in the STI/EVO community.

Billy

Last edited:
What he said.Time atack events at xpo prove little about the car's performance and more about the pilots'.The local hotshoes will always have a leg up on the newbs.

Ok so I exaggerated on being boring.... but you know what I meant! why being so defensive? I know you and some others put a lot of effort into the event and don't want to hear other suggestions. But I am for one will put as much effort into NSXPO in 2008 when it comes to the NW area. All and all from what I've heard NSXPO has always been a great event, but it can be different sometimes. So no I haven't been to and NSXPO event or I am a member of NSXCA. BTW, you don't have to be a member of NSXCA to support NSXPO event right?

Ok so I exaggerated on being boring.... but you know what I meant! why being so defensive? I know you and some others put a lot of effort into the event and don't want to hear other suggestions. But I am for one will put as much effort into NSXPO in 2008 when it comes to the NW area. All and all from what I've heard NSXPO has always been a great event, but it can be different sometimes. So no I haven't been to and NSXPO event or I am a member of NSXCA. BTW, you don't have to be a member of NSXCA to support NSXPO event right?
I love it, you've never been to NSXPO, yet you criticize it, you're not a member of NSCXA, and you have suggestions to improve an event/organization that your only connection to is the car. There are members of the NSXCA that don't own the car that support the event and organization. The Board has always been open to suggestions, and participation is what makes this "club" so great. Oh, and you don't have to wait until 08, come to Ohio in 07, you might enjoy yourself and learn in the process!

...why being so defensive?

I didn't see that comment as being defensive at all. Rather it was a rather nice way to ask you explain what experience you have to substantiate your claim. Yes, there is a ton of effort to plan an NSXPO but I've never heard (ICBW) a planning board not being open to relevent suggestions. Quite the contrary.

But with any event and club, NSXPO and NSXCA is what you make it.

If I sounded defensive perhaps it was the fact that you knew that you were making a disparaging comment about something of which you had absolutely no knowledge. There is a tremendous amount of work that goes into planning and running an event as large as NSXPO and yet you had no problem making a negative comment without any basis to support it. We are always open to suggestions just as we are open to encouraging people to volunteer, as we all do, to organize and run these events.

Perhaps before you speak you should attempt to gain some knowledge of the topic on which you are commenting. Having attended NSXPOs every year since 2001 in Wisconsin, Texas, California, New York, Arizona and Florida as well as looking forward to Ohio this year, I can honestly say I have never heard anyone use the term "boring" to describe any of them. As such, your comment piqued my curiousity, especially because I am a Board member of the NSXCA and it is part of my (unpaid) duties to ensure a good time is had by all.

You should also be aware that you may not attend nor be involved with the planning of NSXPO unless you are a member of the NSXCA. I would suggest that if you are serious about volunteering your efforts in Portland for NSXPO 2008 that you become a member in order to do so. Perhaps then if you actually take the time to gain some knowledge and insight into the amount of work that is necessary you will react the same way that I did when someone tosses around such a disingenuous remark like you did.

What he said!

Well, it looks like the topic of this thread is changing. Back to the original request. The reason I brought the performance testing up, is it seems that NSXPO has the best opportunity to test various components at one time. If anybody has seen the "Best Motoring" videos and watched the "Togue" scenes you would see that yes they do have timed runs, but it is mainly the overall impression of the set-up that determines the winner. This does not have to be a performance test by "NASA". I would just like to see all of the various components at one time, so I could make an educated decision on adding parts to my next NSX. NSXPO 2008 is over a year away, and yes I would devote some time to this performance test and organizing something.

So, the question for everyone out there right now - Do you know of a tuning shop or an individual that has an NSX with a great set-up that will want to participate in this performance evaluation?

As far as possible damage to a shops vehicle - none of the performance testing would put a strain on the vehicles any more so than an average 1/2 day of high performance driver's education.

Does anybody else just want information on big brakes, supsension set-ups, and turbo vs superchargers?

We don't have to make this difficult.

We should really look at getting "Best Motoring Video" involved.

Before anybody gets the wrong impression, the NSXCA welcomes input from all of its members regarding planning NSXPO. However, ultimately all proposals have to be approved and go through proper channels. Forgive me if I am not recognizing any names here but are any of the suggestions in this thread coming from any members of the Planning Committee for NSXPO 2008? I have to ask especially after it has become obvious that at least one person posting herein is not even a member of the NSXCA.

Whereas all plans must be developed by the Committee in charge and have to be approved, and funded, by the Board of Directors of the NSXCA, I would suggest running all ideas and suggestions through the Planning Committee in order to get final approval. Once again, suggestions and volunteers are encouraged but that does not mean individuals not associated directly with the planning of the event will be able to schedule any activities.

Only the Board may sign contracts for NSXPO and fund the event so if you want to see any activities approved please make sure you volunteer to help your local Planning Committee.

If I sounded defensive perhaps it was the fact that you knew that you were making a disparaging comment about something of which you had absolutely no knowledge. There is a tremendous amount of work that goes into planning and running an event as large as NSXPO and yet you had no problem making a negative comment without any basis to support it. We are always open to suggestions just as we are open to encouraging people to volunteer, as we all do, to organize and run these events.

Perhaps before you speak you should attempt to gain some knowledge of the topic on which you are commenting. Having attended NSXPOs every year since 2001 in Wisconsin, Texas, California, New York, Arizona and Florida as well as looking forward to Ohio this year, I can honestly say I have never heard anyone use the term "boring" to describe any of them. As such, your comment piqued my curiousity, especially because I am a Board member of the NSXCA and it is part of my (unpaid) duties to ensure a good time is had by all.

You should also be aware that you may not attend nor be involved with the planning of NSXPO unless you are a member of the NSXCA. I would suggest that if you are serious about volunteering your efforts in Portland for NSXPO 2008 that you become a member in order to do so. Perhaps then if you actually take the time to gain some knowledge and insight into the amount of work that is necessary you will react the same way that I did when someone tosses around such a disingenuous remark like you did.

Yes sir, your authority is widely recognized (As we already have encountered a couple times on other issues)... I know you have problems against me speaking my mind, no need to point it out.
I guess I just have to shut up and enjoy what's out there besides NSXPO. There's always different point of view between different generations and it comes down to the one who has more authority gets his/her ways. So why can't you just admit it that "you want it that way"? BTW, no one will take your spot as being the head honcho anytime soon (politic sucks). So you can take it easy on that. "We open to suggestions" is more like asking a communist party to give freedom to the people! We're just different in age, see fun things differently and just can't get a long well PERIOD. You can look at all the pictures that you took at NSXPOs... I don't see too many younger attendees hanging around with you guys. Again, just admit that what's fun to younger crowd doesn't seem too fun with older crowd!
I am not the power hungry type of person to take your spot as being mr. NSXPO or NSXCA. Worst comes to worst I can just stay the hell home and miss NSXPO just like every other year. NO hard feelings at all, seriously!

Last edited:
Back