PCA membership

VBNSX said:
The fsr pca: fst.pca.org (run VIR a lot... good value too... 3 days, 290 bux)

require only that you have a BMWCCA membership. I asked them and it was due to blanket insurance reasons. Obviously membership rules vary from one to another but i really think it comes down to insurance.

-x-

Insurance and the more serious IRS audits. You have to keep track of the membership carrying people paying and non-members paying. You have to be able to maintain a non-profit status. So when your income % are not overwhelmingly member driven, you can get in trouble.
Tax wise and insurance wise. I can't remeber the exact % right now,but it does have a lot to do with who attends the event. We are able to offset it with a large sponsorship support. When the accounting comes out we are usually fine.

len3.8 said:
Insurance and the more serious IRS audits. You have to keep track of the membership carrying people paying and non-members paying. You have to be able to maintain a non-profit status. So when your income % are not overwhelmingly member driven, you can get in trouble.
Tax wise and insurance wise. I can't remeber the exact % right now,but it does have a lot to do with who attends the event. We are able to offset it with a large sponsorship support. When the accounting comes out we are usually fine.
In the United States, car clubs are usually incorporated as not-for-profit organizations under section 501(c)(7) of the Internal Revenue Code. In order to maintain the club's tax exemption under this section, the IRS requires that no more than 35 percent of total revenue come from outside of the club's membership, and that, of the 35 percent, no more than 15 percent of total revenue for the club's activities come from outside of the club's membership. (In other words, the 35 percent threshold is for revenue sources such as sponsorship and interest income as well as registration fees from non-members, whereas the 15 percent threshold is only for revenue sources such as registration fees from non-members.)

Reference: IRS website.

nsxtasy said:
In the United States, car clubs are usually incorporated as not-for-profit organizations under section 501(c)(7) of the Internal Revenue Code. In order to maintain the club's tax exemption under this section, the IRS requires that no more than 35 percent of total revenue come from outside of the club's membership, and that, of the 35 percent, no more than 15 percent of total revenue for the club's activities come from outside of the club's membership. (In other words, the 35 percent threshold is for revenue sources such as sponsorship and interest income as well as registration fees from non-members, whereas the 15 percent threshold is only for revenue sources such as registration fees from non-members.)

Reference: IRS website.
Thanks Ken, I knew you would have the facts. :)

Back