PCA membership

Is there a way for non-Porsche-owners to get a membership to PCA? There are a lot of events sponsored by PCA that I would like to attend but cannot without a membership card.

I have heard that people use VIN's of P-cars of friends and family members to get membership. If you aren't able to get a VIN that way, it hasn't been unheard of finding them online through autotrader or e-bay. ;)

MarkB said:
Is there a way for non-Porsche-owners to get a membership to PCA? There are a lot of events sponsored by PCA that I would like to attend but cannot without a membership card.

MarkB
Which events are not open to non p-cars?
I know the one in St. Louis are open to all after a specific time frame. Also in Some regions they allow BMWCCA members to sign up without restrictions as well.

When I bought my first new Porsche (as opposed to the used ones before it) it came with a PCA membership welcome packet in the books. It was a 2001 Boxster S (loaded to the gills) and it cost me almost $60,000. I must have accidentally transposed a digit or something in my vin on the PCA application and they sent me back my info (check and all) saying I needed a good vin to be a member. I photocopied the letter they sent me with a copy of my bill of sale saying I would never be a part of such a pompus organization and they could go :o :eek: :o ! I never looked back!
Aaron

Northeast Region PCA allows BMWCCA members to participate in their track events. Some other PCA regions also allow the same.

You should probably contact those PCA regions of your interest, and ask if they allow cross-register for BMWCCA members. If so, you can then join those BMWCCA chapters, and register for the PCA events. That's what I did. Also, PCA events are very cheap. The two-day event at WGI was only $250. This was true for the Tremblant event.

Although it may seem as if PCA's rules are strict, their events are very relaxed, and well organized. The run group sessions are longer than the BMWCCA ones. Plus, it's always fun to drive with so many GT3, GT2, Turbos, and other fast cars in the run group, and show them what NSX can do.

AaronR said:
When I bought my first new Porsche (as opposed to the used ones before it) it came with a PCA membership welcome packet in the books. It was a 2001 Boxster S (loaded to the gills) and it cost me almost $60,000. I must have accidentally transposed a digit or something in my vin on the PCA application and they sent me back my info (check and all) saying I needed a good vin to be a member. I photocopied the letter they sent me with a copy of my bill of sale saying I would never be a part of such a pompus organization and they could go :o :eek: :o ! I never looked back!
Aaron
Their policy does smack of elitism - doesn't it?

I guess what I will do is contact the individual event coordinators for permission to participate.

AaronR said:
Aaron

When I bought my Porsche I also joined PCA and they are an extremely elitist group. I went to a track event with my civic race car and was treated like a leper until the last session of the day when I had gone home and brought back my turbo. Suddenly, I was the center of attention and everyone was my buddy. Within two weeks all events were changed to Porsche only. I refuse to have anything to do with them any longer.

SCS2k said:
When I bought my Porsche I also joined PCA and they are an extremely elitist group. I went to a track event with my civic race car and was treated like a leper until the last session of the day when I had gone home and brought back my turbo. Suddenly, I was the center of attention and everyone was my buddy. Within two weeks all events were changed to Porsche only. I refuse to have anything to do with them any longer.

Bullsh4t! They means the entire group. I am in PCA, a board member of my region. We are comprised of some of the most down to earth people I have ever met. Elitist, I have never been in a club where someone frowns upon me based on what I call my car.(Until recently).. Come on Porsche owners are no more elitist than NSX owners. Give me a break, check some of the past posts on this site, NSX owners are just like P-car owners, They want to park up front, They want to test drive 100k dollar cars without question, They think they have the best vehicle ever made. (Maybe) I could go on. When some people thought I was a spectator at last years XPO, (I was) I wasn't part of the club, I hadn't been snubbed so much in my life. Bryan,Ken,Randy,Decosse,Lud, excluded, they all were as cool as they get.
When you are at a St. Louis event, if you feel that someone is acting elitist, let me know, I will kick them the heck out. ;)
We have a prettly laid back group of regulars, it is comprised of Porsches, NSX's, Vettes, Ferraris, ect. ect. Not once has anyone acted elitist.
Roland Linder brings his F40 lemans to our events on a regular basis, there will be 2 of them this year.

Mark B the event is in October, let me know if you would like to come, I can see what I can do.
I will have my NSX at the event, you can hang out with me and mine if you want. A lot of the guys you will see, you have already hung out with when you were at the Stalls event at putnam.

Elitist, no one is driving a Mac F1 or a Enzo, so what's to feel elite about.
Then again, If I am driving a mark, I like it and don't mind bragging about it.
I have to say that I truly despise Corvettes. ;) They are inferior.
Everything else gets a pass.

Last edited:
len3.8 said:
Bullsh4t! They means the entire group. I am in PCA, a board member of my region. We are comprised of some of the most down to earth people I have ever met. Elitist, I have never been in a club where someone frowns upon me based on what I call my car.(Until recently).. Come on Porsche owners are no more elitist than NSX owners. Give me a break, check some of the past posts on this site, NSX owners are just like P-car owners, They want to park up front, They want to test drive 100k dollar cars without question, They think they have the best vehicle ever made. (Maybe) I could go on. When some people thought I was a spectator at last years XPO, (I was) I wasn't part of the club, I hadn't been snubbed so much in my life. Bryan,Ken,Randy,Decosse,Lud, excluded, they all were as cool as they get.
When you are at a St. Louis event, if you feel that someone is acting elitist, let me know, I will kick them the heck out. ;)
We have a prettly laid back group of regulars, it is comprised of Porsches, NSX's, Vettes, Ferraris, ect. ect. Not once has anyone acted elitist.
Roland Linder brings his F40 lemans to our events on a regular basis, there will be 2 of them this year.

Mark B the event is in October, let me know if you would like to come, I can see what I can do.
I will have my NSX at the event, you can hang out with me and mine if you want. A lot of the guys you will see, you have already hung out with when you were at the Stalls event at putnam.

Elitist, no one is driving a Mac F1 or a Enzo, so what's to feel elite about.
Then again, If I am driving a mark, I like it and don't mind bragging about it.
I have to say that I truly despise Corvettes. ;) They are inferior.
Everything else gets a pass.

No, it's not Bullsh!t. I attended the local PCA here meeting here in Phoenix after the track event (DE) and was told that all future DE events, autocrosses, etc would be Porsche only! I was also frequently subjected to "ricer" comments both at the DE event and at the following meeting. The way the topic was brought up at the meeting was this: "Unlike the most recent DE event, there will be no ricers allowed at future events. It will be Porsche only." As a matter of fact it was the PCA "family of the year" father that made the announcement and unless you were present at the Phoenix event at that time I don't think you have any right whatsoever to comment on what did or did not take place. I too am a Porsche owner but I don't care for the attitude of those I encountered in the local PCA. As I said I was ignored and ridiculed when I brought my Honda to the track but was everyone's buddy when I had my 996 TT. Trust me, I was there. Your chapter of the club may be different, I don't know but I do not care for the environment of the PCA here.

SCS2k said:
Your chapter of the club may be different...
It is, and Len serves as HPDE event chair. He even lets the Vettes in. :D

SCS2k said:
No, it's not Bullsh!t. I attended the local PCA here meeting here in Phoenix after the track event (DE) and was told that all future DE events, autocrosses, etc would be Porsche only! I was also frequently subjected to "ricer" comments both at the DE event and at the following meeting. The way the topic was brought up at the meeting was this: "Unlike the most recent DE event, there will be no ricers allowed at future events. It will be Porsche only." As a matter of fact it was the PCA "family of the year" father that made the announcement and unless you were present at the Phoenix event at that time I don't think you have any right whatsoever to comment on what did or did not take place. I too am a Porsche owner but I don't care for the attitude of those I encountered in the local PCA. QUOTE]

If you were subjected to the "ricer" comments, Which is done an awful lot on this board, then it was those individuals. I have been to the Arizona regions events, as I used to live in the west. You said very Generally the PCA, not the Arizona region... As a memebr. I would have voiced my opion to the PCA "family of the year" father in the meeting. As a PCA member you can bring whatever car you want to the events, even open wheel cars in some regions.

"As I said I was ignored and ridiculed when I brought my Honda to the track but was everyone's buddy when I had my 996 TT. Trust me, I was there. Your chapter of the club may be different, I don't know but I do not care for the environment of the PCA here."

This is what you should have posted. Base it on that region not all of them.

MarkB said:
Len, I'd love to come but I have plans for NSXPO. Maybe next time.

Catch us in April of 05. Maybe my car will be done by then. :)
We can do what I always do, Use the NSX to simply dominate, unless my P-car is on the road. The NSX simply will not out handle it.

KGP said:
It is, and Len serves as HPDE event chair. He even lets the Vettes in. :D

Yeah! I am indeed forced to let vettes in. I can't discriminate at all. I have to let in slow fiat spiders, Subaru WRX's, Impala SS's, camaro's. You name it.
I refuse to let a certain FX500 in, it would embarass everyone. :)

len3.8 said:
I refuse to let a certain FX500 in, it would embarass everyone. :)
I'm sure not a certain local 95 skunk-works NSX. :cool:

KGP said:
I'm sure not a certain local 95 skunk-works NSX. :cool:
Hell, until mine is in my Garage, I am silent and wishing. I am living through those that are before me. :cool:
Patience is not my best quality, However, I am waiting. It is driving me up and down the walls. :p

"As I said I was ignored and ridiculed when I brought my Honda to the track but was everyone's buddy when I had my 996 TT. Trust me, I was there. Your chapter of the club may be different, I don't know but I do not care for the environment of the PCA here."

This is what you should have posted. Base it on that region not all of them.[/QUOTE]

When the PCA makes this person, and his family, the PCA "family of the year", then I believe it is a systemic problem. This was not the local chapter that bestowed upon him this "honor", it was the national club. His comments and actions thus reflect upon the club as a whole and, until proven otherwise, I believe, represent the club as a whole. You and your chapter may be the exception. No one at the meeting showed any negative response to his comments, in fact many laughed and applauded. Those who turn a blind eye to these comments and activities (or in this case actually reward them) are just as guilty as those who say or do them.

Edit: I don't mean to come off so angry. I felt I was treated very poorly by a local chapter where I was a new member. I then come to find that the very people who had treated me poorly are being honored by the club. I just don't like that and I don't care to be around that group of people. Len3.8, I meant no offense to you and your chapter and I apologize if I have insulted you.

Last edited:
Here's what I know.

PCA requires ownership of a Porsche to be a member in the club. You have to provide a VIN as proof of ownership. Period. (Can you get in by lying about it? Yeah, probably - if that's what you want to do.)

Policies regarding participation in events by non-members and/or with non-Porsches vary from one chapter to another, and can also vary based on the individual circumstances (i.e. whether additional cars are needed to fill the events). I have heard that my local chapter is able to fill its events with club members, and thus does not permit non-members to drive. I have also heard that they strongly discourage non-Porsche cars, even if driven by club members. They do this because they can, while still filling their events. Many chapters offer registration first to club members, and then if the event isn't full, they open registration to non-members. As noted above, some chapters (including St. Louis) basically offer reciprocal membership privileges with other clubs (e.g. BMW CCA); in fact, they even coordinate the organization of their events so that there are no conflicting dates, and they use many of the same instructors.

PCA events are sometimes less expensive than other clubs' events. There are usually reasons for this. For example, I have heard that many PCA events require instructors to pay registration fees (in some cases, the same amount as students), whereas it is customary at most other clubs for instructors to drive for free, except possibly for an instructors-only lapping day at extra charge. Just like the way the exclusion of non-members often depends on whether they can attract enough students, they require instructors to pay because they can - meaning, they can still attract enough instructors to staff the event adequately despite requiring registration fees, so they do so.

As for the whole "snob" thing, I've only been to one PCA event before, and didn't really notice it. I will say that at every NSXCA event I've been to, as well as every BMW CCA event, and every CGI Motorsports event, the people have been friendly. What that means is this - if you stand around and don't talk to anyone, people may very well ignore you, as Len experienced; you can't expect people to go out of their way to come looking for you. But if you walk up to people and just start chatting, more often than not, they're happy to do so, and as friendly as anywhere, particularly as long as you are perceived as one of the owners of their marque. If you are perceived as a non-owner, such as when you are driving some other car, the reaction tends to vary; clubs like BMW CCA, with no requirement for owning the marque in order to be a member OR for driving the car at most of their events, understandably tend to be a bit more open to the presence of those with other cars.

(KIR) for the most part. My trip to NSXPO was cool I talked to those that would talk to me. I am not one to stand around and wait for someone to talk to me. I wll just start talking to them, as imposing as I may or may not be.
My point was made, when someone is feeling like an outsider due to being different that very day/event/whatever, then they may very well bring the feeling of being alienated against into their own minds.
The Guy stating the No ricer or whatever comment was probably stating the true feeling of the PCA members for that region, unfortunately. You realize that when they are planning these things as a board, that they discuss what is going to be allowed as a club and what is mandated nationally... As a member, I wish someone would tell me I can't drive any car that is suitable and in my garage. I would laugh at them.

Now try taking your 996TT to NSXPO and driving it. Unless I am mistaken, the only other Non-NSX's that were there were instructors. Others could not drive anything but the NSX. What is the difference?

I've been a PCA member in three regions in the east. I never thought to bring anything other than a Porsche to events.

I had some socializing issues with only one of the three region's members, no biggie. I also met some great people, just car guys.

NSXPO is the NSX clubs national event, a fair compaision would be, try bringing something other than a Porsche to the Porsche Parade.

RichH said:
NSXPO is the NSX clubs national event, a fair compaision would be, try bringing something other than a Porsche to the Porsche Parade.

Yes , but the NSX clubs with exception for some very active regions. (From what I have seen) Don't have DE's.
My point is that we exclude for members only in our events just like they do in some of their events.
The regions have 1 or 2 DE events per year, so there isn't a big difference in the Comparo. Also at the Porsche Parade national event, I can drive what I own.

By the way my NSX was at the Porsche Funfest (Front Row on competitors row) and a Porsche Parade.
No big deal on any of this, I just wanted to let him know that the PCA by and large is made up of people that just love their cars and cars in General.
Myself, after living in Southern California, would never feel like an elitist when driving a Porsche. There you see them on a constant basis. Now if I had a Enzo..... ;) ;)

The fsr pca: fst.pca.org (run VIR a lot... good value too... 3 days, 290 bux)

require only that you have a BMWCCA membership. I asked them and it was due to blanket insurance reasons. Obviously membership rules vary from one to another but i really think it comes down to insurance.

-x-

Hey Len,

No agument from me. I never had a problem overall, as I stated, I always had a great time at the PCA events I attended including 5 Parades.

But unless my memory is fading I don't remember people driving other makes in the Parade auto cross or part-taking in the concours.

I will say I have not attended a Parade in number of years. I always had a great time at these events.

Just to further your agument that all PCA regions are not snobs. In July I attended a Down East Region/ PCA (ME), sponsored fund raiser in my NSX. What a great group of fun guys. Everyone I met had nothing but a positive reaction to my Honda.

A great group of car guys and gals.

A final point, all of the DE in the NE are organized by driving organizations (Track Masters...) outside the NSXCA club. So you would be able to drive anything provided it passed tech.

Hope to meet you at NSXPO,
RCH

Last edited:
RichH said:
Hey Len,

No agument from me. I never had a problem overall, as I stated, I always had a great time at the PCA events I attended including 5 Parades.

But unless my memory is fading I don't remember people driving other makes in the Parade auto cross or part-taking in the concours.

I will say I have not attended a Parade in number of years. I always had a great time at these events.

Just to further your agument that all PCA regions are not snobs. In July I attended a Down East Region/ PCA (ME), sponsored fund raiser in my NSX. What a great group of fun guys. Everyone I met had nothing but a positive reaction to my Honda.

A great group of car guys and gals.

A final point, all of the DE in the NE are organized by driving organizations (Track Masters...) outside the NSXCA club. So you would be able to drive anything provided is passed tech.

Hope to meet you at NSXPO,
RCH

Same here Rich. No argument.
Other than Herschey(sp) Pa. I have never been East.
I hope to make it there.

Back