Painting Brake Calipers

Two bucks. Try using nail enamel or nail lacquer. Just paint the letters. They come in 100 colors and the brush is free.

I've painted my first NSX's calipers and a friends, in which they both came out great. My current NSX came with the calipers already painted red.. Anyone know if I should remove the red, or if I can just over the top of it with the new color? Thanks.

I've painted my first NSX's calipers and a friends, in which they both came out great. My current NSX came with the calipers already painted red.. Anyone know if I should remove the red, or if I can just over the top of it with the new color? Thanks.

I would strip the old paint off or it will look like a bad Make up job. I used paint remover and used the G2 special brush on paint caliper. Still on 3 years strong. Taped off the "NSX" and hand painted with thin brush

Hi,

as posted on Frank's thread:

here are some photos of my calipers all masked up and ready for painting, and then short after painting...

please excuse me for the getto jig i custom made to hang the calipers :tongue:

i don't have photos of the silver letters yet, but they look nice :wink:

Thanks,
Nuno

Hi,

as posted on Frank's thread:

here are some photos of my calipers all masked up and ready for painting, and then short after painting...

please excuse me for the getto jig i custom made to hang the calipers :tongue:

i don't have photos of the silver letters yet, but they look nice :wink:

Thanks,
Nuno

Looks great.. What kind of paint did you use?

Hi,

Looks great.. What kind of paint did you use?

i used spray paint that support high temperatures, usually to paint heaters and stuff...

it supports up to 690C..

i will take photo of the can so you can see it ;)

the surface must be stripped of any thing loose, like old paint chips, dust, etc...so, i proceed as follows:

- i use my dremel with an nylon super abrasive brush to get to bare metal
- i use MOTIP brake cleaner spray to remove all grease and dust.
- masked everything as it's on the photos with those white doctor gloves on, so i wouldn't grease up the calipers again
- i painted 3 good coats with flat black (other colors available), no ore than 3 minutes between coats (recommended on paint instructions)
- the part needs to get heat so the paint gets tough, i used my wife air dryer
- removed the masks
- masked everything but the "NSX" letters.
- used the same process but with the silver spray.
- heated all up to tough up the paint.
- remove mask

now i need to rebuild my rear calipers... and i'm a little confused on what kind of grease i use when i assemble the emergency brake part (behind the piston) and also the grease to use for the bracket pin's boots...

Nuno

Can people post up some pictures of their NSX's with the painted calipers?
Sure!

I painted the calipers on the turbo with a High-Temp spray paint.
The fronts were already red (but needed to be refreshed) and the rears were stock & unpainted.
I did it in 3 coats, and they came out quite nice I think :cool:

Brian

Attachments

• Front Calipers Painted.jpg
    Front Calipers Painted.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 236
  • Rear Calipers Painted.jpg
    Rear Calipers Painted.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 936
  • Painted NSX Calipers.jpg
    Painted NSX Calipers.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 313
attachment.php

it's me or do you have your rear rotors installed incorrectly?!?!

i don't see any of both philips screws installed, the ones that secure the rotors in place, and the rotor's holes don't show the respective hole in the hub...

Nuno

it's me or do you have your rear rotors installed incorrectly?!?!

i don't see any of both philips screws installed, the ones that secure the rotors in place, and the rotor's holes don't show the respective hole in the hub...

Nuno

Don't need the screws. They are only there to hold the rotor in place as it's going down the assembly line. They are a PITA to get out as you have to use an impact driver. Once they are out, LEAVE THEM OUT. The rotor will stay in place with the caliper bracket in place and will tighten in place when you torque your wheel lug nuts down.

Hi,

Don't need the screws. They are only there to hold the rotor in place as it's going down the assembly line. They are a PITA to get out as you have to use an impact driver. Once they are out, LEAVE THEM OUT. The rotor will stay in place with the caliper bracket in place and will tighten in place when you torque your wheel lug nuts down.

i know that... just figured that they would be one more way to assure that the rotors are hub centered....

and yes... PITA is an understatement about these screws...

tell me... once you removed yours, you never put them back, right ?? :wink:

Hi,

i know that... just figured that they would be one more way to assure that the rotors are hub centered....

and yes... PITA is an understatement about these screws...

tell me... once you removed yours, you never put them back, right ?? :wink:

when I over hauled my brakes, i had to use a dremel to get those screws out ...... took me about 12 hours to do the entire thing... never again! :redface:

Note sure if you've seen this product. It is a two part epoxy paint. This results in a very hard and durable finish. It is fairly simple to apply and includes enough two do all four calipers.

http://www.scienceofspeed.com/products/braking_performance_parts/G2_Caliper_PaintSystem/

We've done quite a few of these in house, and the results are very nice and it is the only aftermarket paint I've seen that stands up to track abuse.

regards,
-- Chris

^ looks good.... and do you have it on a matte finish??? not too fond on glossy

its not that glossy man i have the silver on my calipers and looks great and does not chip... :wink:

Your front calipers (look aftermarket) seem more impressive than the rears--I think largely because of the size. For those that have painted your NSX calipers, do you think the relatively small size of them makes it a worthy endeavor?

Sure!

I painted the calipers on the turbo with a High-Temp spray paint.
The fronts were already red (but needed to be refreshed) and the rears were stock & unpainted.
I did it in 3 coats, and they came out quite nice I think :cool:

Brian

Your front calipers (look aftermarket) seem more impressive than the rears--I think largely because of the size. For those that have painted your NSX calipers, do you think the relatively small size of them makes it a worthy endeavor?
Right, the front calipers and rotors are StopTechs, and of course the rears are stock.
I think it depends on the wheels you run, open designs that show a lot of the calipers can make you notice them to the point where you wish they looked a bit nicer.

Brian

I was thinking of using VHT header paint on mine. It is a baked on paint good up to ~1800F and is normally used directly on exhaust parts. As for durability, I think surface prep is a big factor in preventing flaking, etc.

I do, but I painted mine black. They just look nicer than dirty silver. I certainly wouldn't go painting mine bright red or gold.

what do you guys think about candy green calipers on a yellow car with red interior and black wheels??? :biggrin:

what do you guys think about candy green calipers on a yellow car with red interior and black wheels??? :biggrin:

how about no..... green on yellow.... too many different colors....... go w/ red.

Back