PA Registration for NSX as a Classic Car

Hello,

Still a Noob here, but had a quick question. I recently bought my NSX out of state and need to have it registered and titled in PA. Its a 1994 which would qualify it for registration as a classic car. Have any NSX owners registered their early NSX as a classic car? Any issues or concerns...I am not sure I want to register as a classic...just wanted to get some opinions and see if anyone has done this.

Thanks

Last edited:
Try Hagerty.........I'm with them and GREAT coverage up here and it's a classic or collectors car

I'm going to go for a seasonal plate in PA soon. Pay full insurance only between self-specified dates and pay only a few dozen dollars coverage during winter/storage months. I think this will work out better for me than going with special/classic/collector coverage with all the usage restrictions that come with those options. We'll see. I'll likely pick dates of Nov 1 to April 1.

It seems this thread got twisted...
I don't know Pa but in other states "registering" a car as a classic (solely based on the age of the car) is less expensive (and I have never heard of any restrictions).
I see (below) I was VERY wrong.
INSURING a car with classic/collector car insurance (for agreed value) often comes with a price premium and use restrictions (mileage, always garaged, no commuting to work, etc...)

Last edited:
My insurance agent guided me well along those options. If you're going for a PA registration as a classic and find it's less expensive to register, then you betcha there are restrictions unfortunately, both by the state and insurer.

http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms/fact_sheets/fs-ant.pdf

FACT SHEET
Antique, Classic Vehicles and Vintage Registration Plates
PURPOSE
This fact sheet outlines the policy for issuance of antique, classic and vintage registration plates.
DEFINITION OF ANTIQUE AND CLASSIC MOTOR VEHICLES AND VINTAGE REGISTRATION PLATES
Antique Motor Vehicle - A motor vehicle, but not a reproduction thereof, manufactured more than 25 years prior to the current year which has been maintained in or restored to a condition which is substantially in conformance with manufacturer specifications.
Classic Motor Vehicle - A motor vehicle, but not a reproduction thereof, manufactured at least 15 years prior to the current year which has been maintained in or restored to a condition which is substantially in conformity with manufacturer specifications and appearance.
Vintage Registration Plates - A vintage registration plate is a “period-issued” registration plate from 1906 to 1975 to be displayed on an antique or classic vehicle with the same corresponding year of manufacturer. Vintage registration plates are not manufactured or issued by PennDOT. Applicants are required to provide the vintage registration plate they wish to display on their antique or classic vehicle.
USE OF ANTIQUE, CLASSIC AND VINTAGE REGISTRATION PLATES
The use of antique, classic and vintage registration plates is governed by Section 1340 of the Pennsylvania Vehicle Code, which states: “It is unlawful for any person to operate a motorcycle or vehicle with antique, classic or vintage registration plates for general daily transportation. Permitted use shall be limited to participation in club activities, exhibits, tours, parades, occasional transportation and similar uses.” Occasional transportation and similar uses is defined as one day a week.

I wish we had a classic designation. I should register my car in PA!

I'm going to go for a seasonal plate in PA soon. Pay full insurance only between self-specified dates and pay only a few dozen dollars coverage during winter/storage months.
In most states, you can do that through your insurance company without needing any kind of special registration.

However, if you're not going to drive it during those dates anyway, and if they give you a reduced registration fee due to the seasonal plate, go for it!

Another interesting fact to note:

Classic registration doesn't require emissions anymore, just safety inspection.
Antique registration is one and done. Not safety inspection, no emissions.. ever again :)

I will register my NSX in 2017 as antique. My CRX will be done next year as such. I don't drive them that often anyway and can switch between my three vehicles as needed.

In most states, you can do that through your insurance company without needing any kind of special registration.

However, if you're not going to drive it during those dates anyway, and if they give you a reduced registration fee due to the seasonal plate, go for it!

I thought I remembered it being that way too here long ago. According to my insurance agent, apparently too many people were flipping in & out too often and playing he said she said as to when they told their agent they were off & on coverage, so they standardized it thru the state!

I thought I remembered it being that way too here long ago. According to my insurance agent, apparently too many people were flipping in & out too often and playing he said she said as to when they told their agent they were off & on coverage, so they standardized it thru the state!

All - thank you for your feedback and insights. I registered it as a "regular" car for now with insurance via a company that specializes in classic cars.

My insurance agent guided me well along those options. If you're going for a PA registration as a classic and find it's less expensive to register, then you betcha there are restrictions unfortunately, both by the state and insurer.

http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms/fact_sheets/fs-ant.pdf

FACT SHEET
Antique, Classic Vehicles and Vintage Registration Plates
PURPOSE
This fact sheet outlines the policy for issuance of antique, classic and vintage registration plates.
DEFINITION OF ANTIQUE AND CLASSIC MOTOR VEHICLES AND VINTAGE REGISTRATION PLATES
Antique Motor Vehicle - A motor vehicle, but not a reproduction thereof, manufactured more than 25 years prior to the current year which has been maintained in or restored to a condition which is substantially in conformance with manufacturer specifications.
Classic Motor Vehicle - A motor vehicle, but not a reproduction thereof, manufactured at least 15 years prior to the current year which has been maintained in or restored to a condition which is substantially in conformity with manufacturer specifications and appearance.
Vintage Registration Plates - A vintage registration plate is a “period-issued” registration plate from 1906 to 1975 to be displayed on an antique or classic vehicle with the same corresponding year of manufacturer. Vintage registration plates are not manufactured or issued by PennDOT. Applicants are required to provide the vintage registration plate they wish to display on their antique or classic vehicle.
USE OF ANTIQUE, CLASSIC AND VINTAGE REGISTRATION PLATES
The use of antique, classic and vintage registration plates is governed by Section 1340 of the Pennsylvania Vehicle Code, which states: “It is unlawful for any person to operate a motorcycle or vehicle with antique, classic or vintage registration plates for general daily transportation. Permitted use shall be limited to participation in club activities, exhibits, tours, parades, occasional transportation and similar uses.” Occasional transportation and similar uses is defined as one day a week.

I have a Grundy fixed-value insurance policy with usage restrictions.

Since I moved to PA, I need to register my '92, and I like the "classic" policy since it aligns with my needs (and insurance policy).

Do you know what the classic "annual safety inspection" entails? I would hope it's just visual and lights check. I certainly don't want them to road-test it (2600lbs and 600HP).

I need to give Rahal a call in Wexford like you recommended in another thread to see if they'll do the inspection and what it entails. I live in Cranberry so it's local for me.

Thanks,

Dave

Dave I work in cranberry. Maybe we can meet up sometime. Maybe the C&C if it's this Sat? I have yet to meet a few other locallers like vivanshah, pghmiller, etc. Rahal's service has been great so far. Conscientious and clean around the cars - the techs wear gloves when driving your car to/from the bay. A little more expensive than other places too. If my '93 wasn't an OBD1 car I don't know that I'd necessarily stick to them for basic stuff like that but I'm happy for now.

I don't know much more about PA classic registration options other than what I've read online so far about registration options so I unfortunately have nothing more to add there. Luckily their FAQ type info is reasonably clear as far as I've seen so far.

I have my 92 registered as a classic in PA and its great .You can drive it as offen as you want and the only limit is you are not able to alter the apperance. when i questioned MV on this the comment was " as long as it still looks like what it started off as " It took about a month to get the plate back from Harrisburg .You still need to get it inspected each year but you only pay once for registeration .As it was stated by someone else You must carry insurance on it all year or they will request you to return the plate. The process is easy ,i started out by calling a title co. in my area who told me all that would be required , a few photos.etc.feel free to contact me if you need more help or if you have any questions

I'm going to go for a seasonal plate in PA soon. Pay full insurance only between self-specified dates and pay only a few dozen dollars coverage during winter/storage months. I think this will work out better for me than going with special/classic/collector coverage with all the usage restrictions that come with those options. We'll see. I'll likely pick dates of Nov 1 to April 1.
I have my 92 registered as a classic in PA and its great .You can drive it as offen as you want and the only limit is you are not able to alter the apperance. when i questioned MV on this the comment was " as long as it still looks like what it started off as " It took about a month to get the plate back from Harrisburg .You still need to get it inspected each year but you only pay once for registeration .As it was stated by someone else You must carry insurance on it all year or they will request you to return the plate. The process is easy ,i started out by calling a title co. in my area who told me all that would be required , a few photos.etc.feel free to contact me if you need more help or if you have any questions
Sounds like folks in PA have to choose between seasonal plates, which let you not pay for the liability and collision portions of insurance for part of the year (presumably including the winter), and classic plates. I don't know if there's a difference in registration fees, but I know you can save a bundle on insurance if you're not going to drive the car anywhere in winter anyway.

Hi farm180! From east or west PA? West here.

I'm no expert but actually the PA DMV link above kind of contradicts what your DMV contact said. It makes it sound like you *can* alter the appearance somewhat, look for the words "substantially in conformity...," which may be good news for you. But secondly, the usage restrictions for classic plates point mostly to "car shows and ice cream runs" even if it includes the wiggle words "occasional use." Maybe driving the car once a week and even to work occasionally could fit into that, but I'd verify how my insurance defines "occasional use" if you haven't. :)

My rationale for a seasonal plate was financial/insurance since I won't drive in winter but...now that I'm thinking about it...I don't think I could stand seeing my NSX labelled as a "classic car" when it still looks very much at home amongst (and even better than) today's cars, ha ha!

Hello YinzerEast here above Phila and at the end of Buckscounty .I here ya on the plates looks , not the best .insurance has good covarage and i keep it insured all year in case she gets any damage on her that my home owners wont cover.
Hi farm180! From east or west PA? West here.I'm no expert but actually the PA DMV link above kind of contradicts what your DMV contact said. It makes it sound like you *can* alter the appearance somewhat, look for the words "substantially in conformity...," which may be good news for you. But secondly, the usage restrictions for classic plates point mostly to "car shows and ice cream runs" even if it includes the wiggle words "occasional use." Maybe driving the car once a week and even to work occasionally could fit into that, but I'd verify how my insurance defines "occasional use" if you haven't. :)My rationale for a seasonal plate was financial/insurance since I won't drive in winter but...now that I'm thinking about it...I don't think I could stand seeing my NSX labelled as a "classic car" when it still looks very much at home amongst (and even better than) today's cars, ha ha!

Dave, do you still have Grundy?

Yes. The usage restrictions match my current classic car plates.

This Fall I will probably switch to Farmers (where the rest of my policies are) and get a regular registration. I just wanted to be able to drive it legally without the emissions testing while I tweak the turbos/tune/cats.

Back