Owners of Lexus SC 400 s? (1993)

Owners of Lexus SC 400 s? (1993)

Gents,

Im thinking of buying a SC400 (1993) with 103,500 miles as a commuter car. Have any of you owned this car before? Either this year or any year?

Can you give me any feed back as to what its like to own? expensive? Im looking for a car I can drop about 25,000 miles year on, and then dump in about 2 years. I want some style, so I thought this might be a nice way to go.

After driving it after my NSX, I couldnt believe how sluggish it felt, I was expecting some umph, with a torquey V-8. but never got a big push in my seat.

thanks!

My brother has the same car bought it with 90,000 miles on it had that service done before he bought it. Has had it one year and loves it so far nothings gone wrong I dont think you can compare it to the NSX but it is a nice car. He did buy snows tire this year and said the traction was unbelievable better than some 4X4 he's had.

Steven 91 Blk/Ivory

I have a 1992 SC400 with 28,000 miles on it. I never really experience neck snapping acceleration with the car. Instead, the car just seems to keep accelerating into triple digits with a nice, constant flow of power. It's no adrenaline rush, but it's real easy for the car to get up there in speed without even realizing it.

sc400_02.jpg

I know I'm partial, but I really believe the car's lines are absolutely beautiful. I really don't dig the current generation SC430. IMHO, that car is just plain ugly.

------------------
1995 NSX-T
1999 3.2TL
2001 Odyssey
1992 SC400

[This message has been edited by FuryNSX (edited 06 June 2002).]

I owned a Lexus certified 1992 SC400 for 55,000 miles. Maintenance ran around $6500 because a lot of things broke. I ended up trading in the car for my NSX when more things broke ($2000-3000). If not for the warrantee, the air conditioning job I had done would have cost an additional $3000. If it means anything, I did not baby the car when I drove it, but always maintained it very well.

The car was good for long commutes and had the styling that I was looking for.

Despite the cost of maintaining the car I really miss it a lot. It was a real sweetheart and I still remember how it purred the very last time I drove it. Two months later, she was totalled by the new owners.
frown.gif

I have a 92 SC400 with 80k miles as my daily driver currently. The car doesn't have a lot of oomph in low RPM, but have very nice torque band from about 3000 and up.

This is my second SC400. And although I never had any problems whatsoever with both, I heard that power steering pump on these cars is one of the weakest link. LCD display is another, even though it's more cosmetic.

Parts are expensive, so find one that has been treated well. Again I never had any expenses other than the regular service.

I had a 93 SC400. It's very smooth, power is lacking, gas guzzler, I got about 18 mpg on mine. It is pretty slippery in snow with the stock tires. I liked the car alot, but ended up selling it to get the NSX. I would have kept it if I could.

YOu might want to look at an 95 Legend LS coupe as a comparable to the SC...make sure it is the LS model which has the fully painted skirts and moldings...very nice car, and even comes in a 6 spd. manual..I picked mine up last year for about 17k, and get compliments on it more than I expected...its a rare find though for this model..

Back