Opportunity to buy a '97

SCdS2K said:
Does anyone have the manual in PDF form?? I even called service and they say the 60k service doesn't need to be done and the timing belt/water pump are fine.

Check the FAQ in the maintenance section. It will tell you that the 60K service is due at 60K OR six years. It will also explain what needs to be replaced, timing belt, water pump, etc.. You should probably replace hoses and check the cam plugs as well.

What they are telling you is flat out wrong.

SCdS2K said:
They insist the timing belt does not need to be completed...
They are dead wrong and don't know what they're talking about.

http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Maintenance/schedule.htm

Most maintenance schedule items are based on mileage or time. In this case, a 1997 car (even with only 1 mile on the odo) still should have several big services completed. Not the least of which is changing the timing belt.

If you're going to have that done, I strongly encourage you to also do the water pump and consider the hoses too. Erosion waits for no man and in some cases, a car sitting idle can actually require more maintenance than a regularly driven car where the fluids are moving, etc.

If the dealer does all the service req'd on the car, there have been no accidents and the car's interior and exterior is in good shape then I think they're asking a fair price. I've seen a lot of cars on Prime go for cheaper but not many (at least in my opinion) are truly "A" cars worth full boat.

Good luck.

Tony Montoya said:
I still haven't done the timing belt on my 91 but I'm getting a little nervous this year. Mine has 30k miles.
Change it Tony. The costs of having the belt snap while driving are too high.

In my case, I had it changed at 7 years and about 43K miles and the belt looked brand new when it came off. But now I have absolutely no worries every time I bring the car to redline.

Spoke to them again...

They still say the car has been fully inspected and the timing belt is in perfect condition. I also sent him the schedule link posted above and he says that does not mean the services HAS to be performed but that it's only a recommendation by Acura. Not mandatory at 6 years or 90k miles.

I don't know... He has now come down on price AGAIN to $44.5k w/ the cd-changer and keyless entry installed.

Dude, that is a fatastic price, take it and run!!!

Vancehu said:
Dude, that is a fatastic price, take it and run!!!

"Fantastic" is a bit too strong of a word, I'd say. Seems fair, but I'll bet they've only got high 30s in the car.

Either way, take into consideration that a '97 at the end of the model year could have been purchased all day for $62K-ish (with owner loyalty and other incentives). The miles are really low for a 9 1/2 year old car, so that's a big positive.

One question I'd ask: Why the desperation to unload the car? It was afterall, just taken in. Most dealers I've talked to over the years tell me they don't mind sitting on them as the depreciation is not very big.

I wouldn't take it at that price. $1500 isn't much when you finance the additional amount, but they you pay another $2000 for water pump/timing belt/hose etc...and on and on.

Here is what I would do...even though he is willing to sell at 44.5 k, I would offer $45K but tell him they have to put on a new timing belt,water pump and hoses (suction/discharge hoses). The cost to the dealer on these items isn't that high (less than $500) and he will likely call in a favor over in service on the labor...then he gets to sell the car at a higher price and make more $$ for himself.

OR tell him you will pay $43K w/no maintenance and tell them to think about it. I would lay it out just like that, and I bet he does all the work for you and sells it for $45k.

SCdS2K said:
Spoke to them again...

They still say the car has been fully inspected and the timing belt is in perfect condition. I also sent him the schedule link posted above and he says that does not mean the services HAS to be performed but that it's only a recommendation by Acura. Not mandatory at 6 years or 90k miles.

I don't know... He has now come down on price AGAIN to $44.5k w/ the cd-changer and keyless entry installed.
Absolute Bullshit.

Ask him what would happen if you bought a brand new Acura from him, failed to change the oil "as recommended" in the owners manual and then developed engine sludge after 30K miles.

He's either a liar or an idiot but I wouldn't let that stop me from buying a nice car.

I'd offer him $45.5K if they change the timing belt and water pump or $43.5K without. Their is a huge markup on labor and parts and they should be happy with either option.

Well, I decided to pass on this nsx. The dealer will not budge on any of the issues mentioned above. Maybe someone else can pick it up...

All the help from everyone is greatly appreciated.

Back