Opportunity to buy a '97

Hello,

Well, the '04 Long Beach was sold before I could get to the dealer, BUT the buyer traded in a red '97 w/ 15k on the odometer. Before the dealer even puts it up for sale, they are going to drive it to my house and let me have a look/drive w/ it.

He says their asking price will be 48k. What would be a good deal on this car if it's in very good shape etc...?

Much Appreciated,

Perry

Well, I just drove the '97 and I must say it was quite a lot of fun.

It has about 5 small paint chips and one small scratch on the rear deck. All of which are being fixed I guess...

Also, this car does not have the keyless entry or the cd-changer.

He came down to $45.9k from the $48k asking price. I still think this is a bit high though... What do you guys think. I really like the car but refuse to over pay. Besides, I have to have some money left over for mods!

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Perry

I'm guessing the 97 is a targa 6spd? 45k for a clean, very low mileaged 97 car is not necessarily overpriced.

I'd be tempted to do a little homework and contact the owner of the 04 and see how much he traded in for, though obviously that may be a bit of a stretch. Remember, the less valuable pre 97 cars still go for 30+/- with low to medium miles, and 15k is quite low, not much more than 1k a year.

That's what I thought. He called back and came down to 45k even. Still too high in my mind...

pick your price and be solid. if it you don't get it, get it somewhere else. it works well if they know you don't care if you get that particular one. DO IT :smile:

I dont know if it helps in any way but i bought a 1996 nsx-t with 50 k miles for 35,000 not sure if i paid too much or it was a fair deal.:confused:
clean car fax and in excellent condition.
Nsx's really have a large difference between wholesale trade in and retail.:frown:

What overall condition is the car? Do you have access to the service records, and have the major services been done? If it is in great shape and all the services were completed, you're getting in the range of a fair price in my opinion.

Good luck.

The overall condition appears to be excellent. I'm getting the service records today and they said if the 15k service wasn't completed yet that they will complete it themselves.

is this not the same car that tunlhd1 traded in? if so you might want to contact him for history etc..I remembered something about him trading in a 97 in a thread somewhere... if not please disregard!

I would definately try to contact the previous owner. The dealership may have only given him/her $40-41K on trade. I used to be in the car business, usually if a lot is pricing the car at $48K, they shouldn't have paid more than $44K for it. Offer them $44K and see how long it takes for them to get back to you on it. If they accept within a short period of time, they paid less than that for it, if not, that is probably their bottom line.

SCdS2K said:
The overall condition appears to be excellent. I'm getting the service records today and they said if the 15k service wasn't completed yet that they will complete it themselves.

The major service for the car should include timing belt, water pump, etc.. It's not just the milage that you should consider, but the age of the vehicle itself. It should have the 60K service completed, even if it only has 15K on the clock.

cebernstein said:
I would definately try to contact the previous owner. The dealership may have only given him/her $40-41K on trade. I used to be in the car business, usually if a lot is pricing the car at $48K, they shouldn't have paid more than $44K for it. Offer them $44K and see how long it takes for them to get back to you on it. If they accept within a short period of time, they paid less than that for it, if not, that is probably their bottom line.

But if they accept the offer for $44,000 you need to be prepared to pay the price. Trying to haggle lower after offering to buy for $44,000 and then trying to back out to go lower is not a very good thing to do.

Energy1 said:
is this not the same car that tunlhd1 traded in? if so you might want to contact him for history etc..I remembered something about him trading in a 97 in a thread somewhere... if not please disregard!

Thank you so much! This is the person who bought the blue one and traded in his '97 red NSX-T. I have already PMd him with ALL the questions.

Man, this is easily the best forum I participate on.. Hands down!

Dtrigg said:
The major service for the car should include timing belt, water pump, etc.. It's not just the milage that you should consider, but the age of the vehicle itself. It should have the 60K service completed, even if it only has 15K on the clock.

They insist the timing belt does not need to be completed... Here is their reply...

Perry due to new Privacy laws I am having difficulty getting full service
history as it was done at 2 different dealers. I was able to convince them
to read it off to me so here is the full available history.

Today 15,000 mile service includes lube oil filter, battery check (ok)
Front and Rear Break inspection, Fluids Check and replace if needed, Wiper
inserts, and Used Car Inspection. I will give you hard copies on this one
as we did it.

13600 miles Lube Oil Filter

9400 miles Product Update Campaign: 97-037 Replace EPS (electronic power
steering Control Unit)

9365 miles Lube Oil Filter and Replace Battery

7532 miles 7500 mile service, Lube Oil Filter inspect all fluids, wiper
blade inserts.

End of history

Too old no records past that date.

Call me with any Questions.

Once you buy the car you might be able to get the hard copies from the
servicing dealers. However they are very strict on privacy policies as
are
we.

Funny that they know better than Acura what service needs to be completed. Acura says the timing belt needs to be done and put that in the owners guide. If a car they weren't selling came in off the street with the same age and milage, the service dept should be telling the customer that they need to do the timing belt (and I'm sure they would be). Yet here's the sales dept that knows better than Acura. Interesting what tactics are resorted to to make a sale.

Honestly, I think you should buy it for 45k. That is half price for a car with only 15k miles on it. I think it's fair. I would only do this for an NSX, any other 8 year old car is too old.

Get them to do the belts and water pump and other needed service for cost or as part of the 45k purchase price.

If it's the colour you like then it's a good deal. Make sure to inspect it at a body shop as I don't understand why it was traded in for another NSX.

Does anyone have the manual in PDF form?? I even called service and they say the 60k service doesn't need to be done and the timing belt/water pump are fine.

robr said:
Funny that they know better than Acura what service needs to be completed. Acura says the timing belt needs to be done and put that in the owners guide. If a car they weren't selling came in off the street with the same age and milage, the service dept should be telling the customer that they need to do the timing belt (and I'm sure they would be). Yet here's the sales dept that knows better than Acura. Interesting what tactics are resorted to to make a sale.

I thought the seller is an Acura dealer?

SCdS2K said:
Does anyone have the manual in PDF form?? I even called service and they say the 60k service doesn't need to be done and the timing belt/water pump are fine.

If it breaks they won't pay to fix it. It will probably be fine but you never know.

Back