Opinions please!

I have been looking at the NSX for some time. Driven 4 diferent 91's. I am very knowledgeable about the car but it is missing service records.

I drove a red/beige 91 today. nice car. It has all the things am looking for, goodbody/Int. BUT it has no service history. Just a owners manual not filled out. Yes, it is not in snap ring and all the common problems, window thinghy's, bose system,lid snubbers, etc. all work!

The car is sound mechanically as far as I can tell, (I always take the NSX buyers checklist with me.) Also the nearest Acura dealership is way to far away to have it checked. I checked with my local Acura dealership and he ran the VIN and told me the recalls have been done, (he couldn't give me any service record details since I wasen't the owner.) I looked hard for problems and couldn't find any telltale signs of abuse and wear. Comtech exhaust and brand new tires and very nice new wheels.

The car has less than 70k and I can buy it for $26,500

I love really love this peticular car and want to buy it at that great price. I have been shopping/driving the NSX for over 3 years and go prepared when testing prospective NSX's.

Would you buy this car without service records?

Thank you in advance,

Skyguy

yeah. You don't know if he had a problem that he had serviced elsewhere (other than he was willing to show you). I.e. some sort of recurrant tranny problem, or engine problem or electrics or whatever... anytime you buy a used car, the sky's the limit on what can go wrong...

You seem to have done some homework on early NSX's to know about snap ring, window thingies, bose, etc. It would be nice to have it checked out by a pro. But.... IMO.. if it looks as good as you say, and it drives straight, makes all the right sounds; in short looks like a well cared for car, then I'd buy it because:]

1. The price is right.
2. It's a good bet that if the car was cosmetically maintained it was also mechanically maintained well.

That said, even maintained cars can break. On the other hand with no maintenance records you must assume it needs serviced for the amount of miles/years it has on it and that means timing belt/water pump, fluids, etc. But again.. if it is in great condition you can afford to put a few thousand into it for maintenance.

Just my opinion and I'm certainly no expert but I have purchased many cars by this reasoning and have had good luck.

addendum

PS: The carfax came out clean.

Skyguy

mikec said:
It's a good bet that if the car was cosmetically maintained it was also mechanically maintained well.

I agree. I've bought over 20 used cars over the years and have never been burned by a car that appeared well maintained cosmetically. My experience is that people that care about the appearance of their car generally do enough of the scheduled maintenance to keep the car in reasonably good mechanical condition.

Like anything in life, though, I'm sure there are exceptions. There's always some risk involved, even if all required service has been performed. Life's a risk.

A good practice when purchasing used cars is to set aside some cash for initial repairs. No matter how clean a car is, there will be some things that need attention. If you figure some room in your budget, then you wont be stressed when you find out what
needs fixing.

A car with about 70k miles and no service records,

even if it is clean, will require the ff at the minimum:
Timing belt
Water pump
All engine belts
brake and clutch fluid change
The clutch is probably about ready to be replaced at this mileage as well
transmission fluid flush and fill
possibly, valve adjustment
check the bottom of the engine, you are likely to find minor engine oil leaks which are very common with engine oil leaking around the rubber plugs that shrink with age, these would need replacing ideally
and of course
oil and filter
air filter
All of the above, performed by a professional using OEM parts would cost you around 4-5K. So add that to the cost of your car.
Do not forget the Registration and Title fees etc. as well.

Don't forget that the older the NSX, the closer is the A/C to its end and that alone can cost a few thousand dollars in itself.

The NSX, if maintained the way it deserves to be maintained is NOT just another Honda.;)

mikec said:
It's a good bet that if the car was cosmetically maintained it was also mechanically maintained well.

I agree as well. Even if you did get a full set of service records, it still “guarantees” nothing. If it had a new timing belt installed, it doesn't guarantee that it still won’t break. The belt could be defective, or the tech could have kinked the belt while installing it, etc. That example is a stretch, I know, but if you didn't pay for the belt replacement yourself (or any other repair), then you have no recourse if something goes wrong, even if you have the records/receipts. The previous owner did, but you don’t. That’s the true reality of buying any used car.

One extra thing though, swing it by a trusted body shop and have them inspect it for previous body work. Some repairs are hard to see with the untrained eye.

Like a few others said, if you buy it, you'll want to do some preventative maintainence, so you need to have those funds ready at purchase time.

Timing Belt and water pump - Yup, you want that done. It will run you abou $2k, and the accessory belts get replaced at the same time as part of that repair. Pay them to check the valve adjustments at this time as well. It will only cost you a couple hundred extra, since they are already in there for the belt replacement. These services are no big deal, and its part of owning an NSX, so if your not OK with it then you won't be OK with getting any NSX let alone this one.

Break and clutch fluid change - may or may not need it, if the fluid is in the break and clutch fluid resevoirs is clear (2 break 1 clutch), then it has already been done. If its tan to brown, you can flush it yourself or have a qualified mechanic do it for you. Last time I had it done, it cost me $150. No big deal.

Clutch - Do the 3rd gear clutch test (see prime F.A.Q.s) on a test drive before you buy it. If it slips, get them to fix it, or try to get them to reduce the price. If it doesn't slip, drive it happily until it does one day, and then take care of it. Again, no big deal, its part of owning any sports car.

Fluid Leaks - What can you say, they happen. Check it beforehand, have them take care of it, or deduct it from the price.

Oil, Oil Filter, and Air Filter - not really worth talking about, unless you pull the dip-stick and the oil looks like mud. If this car your looking at is at a dealership, then the first thing every dealer does is change the oil and replace the filters.

Fuel Filter - At 70k with unknown history, your probably going to want to replace it. - Relatively Inexpensive.

AC system - Luck of the draw. Could have problems the day after you buy it, or it could run trouble free for another 10 years. Yes, something to consider, but heck, you live in Des Moines. How many times a year do you really need AC? ;)

[edit] Again, check the NSX Prime FAQ section for all the other stuff you need to really inspect before you buy.

Best of Luck

Last edited:
Great response guys1

I am really impressed with the knowledge base here at the prime. The overwhelming support is second to none. with that said, I will "chew" on this one for a bit. Other replies are very welcome.

FYI: i have set aside some monies for preventive mx work. Not a lot, but some. I did the clutch test and it passed, no problemo. The is obviously an unaltered/original body. ie; rock chips since 91, body panels match, etc. As far as the timing belt/H20 pump, well it would be nice to know if they had been done previous. The only item of concern is the seat bolster wear. a small tear is forming and will have to be fixed. I checked with my local Acura dealership and they have 2 certified mx guys on staff, will talk to them later.

Bottom line, I have been very patient, (3 years!) and not gotten "gotta-have-it-itus." driven nice ones and dogs as well. researched every car to the 9th degree, (service bullitens, alignment specs etc.)
All my finances prearranged and researched.

Am I just afraid to take the plunge?

Any so called "buyers remorse" out there in NSX land?

RSVP.

Skyguy

*thank you in advance!

Re: Great response guys1

skyguy said:
IThe only item of concern is the seat bolster wear. a small tear is forming and will have to be fixed.
Thats to be expected on a 13 year old NSX with 70K miles. Any good upholstry place can fix you right up if you just want to replace that bolster panel/section without it costing much at all.

Bottom line, I have been very patient, (3 years!) and not gotten "gotta-have-it-itus."
Your a better man than I. I would have gone insane if it took me 3 years, I was starting to crack up at the 2 year mark when I finally found mine.

Am I just afraid to take the plunge?
If the car checks out, then jump on in, the NSX water is fine. ;)

Any so called "buyers remorse" out there in NSX land?
7 months of ownership, and no buyers remorse here. I love every drive. The funny thing is that even though this is a much faster car than pretty much anything I have owned previously, I tend to drive slower (for the most part ;) ) than any of my other vehicles because I never want the ride to end. :D

Back