Opinions on Maserati GT coupe

I bought a Maserati GT coupe and am now selling my 02 996 cab. I never really considered the Maserati until yesterday. From reading about it to test driving it today, I was convinced. It has the same engine in the Ferrari Modena but it is a lot less. I drove both the 6 speed and the Cambiocorsa (F1 shifters) and both were pretty impressive.

Does anyone have any experience or first hand knowledge of the cars? Since they just came out in 2002, reliability is still hard to determine but the Modenas seem to be ok in reliability. Also, it has a 4yr/50k warranty so I am somewhat protected (though it would be a pain to make frequent trips to the dealership). The car is fast but rides really well. And with the Skyhook suspension (adjustable suspension), it rides like it's on rails.

Like I said, this whole thing started last night and I may have gotten caught up in the excitement. Any warnings would be appreciated.

Also, if anyone knows someone who wants to buy a mint 02 996 cab with 2700 miles, let me know. Thanks.

Last edited:
Based on everything I've read about it, the Maserati is more of a sporty luxury coupe than a pure sports car like the NSX or 996 or 360 Modena - with a softer suspension, 600 pounds :eek: heavier than the 360, etc.

What is it about your 996 that you don't like? Just tired of it already? ;)

The Maserati is more of a touring coupe than a true sports car. But with the skyhook suspension, the car was nowhere near soft. It is heavy but it's still very fast. Might be a bit dangerous with speeding tickets since it doesn't feel like you're going as fast as you really are.

I like the 996...especially the 02+ ones. But there are a LOT of them around and I was looking for something less common.

Ferrari bought Maserati a few years ago so I guess Ferrari makes the cars for Maserati.

WeakestLink said:
Ferrari bought Maserati a few years ago so I guess Ferrari makes the cars for Maserati.

I'm not sure whether that's precisely true.

Ferrari is owned by Fiat Auto Group which is part of the Fiat Corporation. I'm not sure which of those three legal entities bought Maserati.

I'm also not sure whether the Maserati is made by Ferrari or is made in its own factory by its own division of the company, using the engine and transmission from Ferrari.

Ferrari owns Maserati, Maserati has its own "everything" (R&D, marketing, factories, ...) but they share some parts (like parts of the engine), dealerships and the management.

Do you have the 4200cc engine? That is not a Ferrari engine but it has been developed by Ferrari as a possible prototype to be tuned for the next 360. The 360 has a 3600cc engine at the moment.

The Maserati is a GT car like the Ferrari 456 is. But they can be quite sporty (however, not in the same way as a Modena, NSX amd 996TT is, Ken is right.).

IMHO the shape of the Maserati is wonderful, at the top with the Aston Martin. Very nice car IMO! Too bad that in the US you can only have the "new" taillights Is the conversion to the old stylish one even offered there? In Europe it is one of the most required options on them, it costs 2500$.

template_maserati_3200gt_r4_c3.jpg

02.maserati.spyder.r3-4.500.jpg

I heard the reliability is still far from being good but it improved a lot from the past, in line with new Ferraris. Keep me update, I was tempted several time of buying a 3200GT in the past... but I cannot leave the NSX. I would also need a bigger garage (and 50k$ :D ).

I hope the reliability is ok on Maseratis but I guess I won't be completely surprised to have to visit the dealership a few times over the next few years. One good thing is that the maintenance on the Maserati is a lot cheaper than that on a Ferrari.

Oh well. I'm just glad I found a car that is exciting and that I can afford. Actually, I need to call my credit union tomorrow and make sure they'll lend me more money. :eek:

Because Ferrari sets prices on many parts....even if they are more or less identical to another car's...

...that is why it is often cheaper to buy from the OEM direct then through a f-dealer.

Just like some honda parts are identical to acura parts (some even have the same part numbers) but the acura part is more often than not a lot more expensive.:rolleyes:

I'm not sure why it's cheaper. I know nothing about engines but the Ferrari has a timing belt and the Maserati has a chain system instead? Something like that. It may not have been the "timing belt" but some part of the Ferrari engine used a belt and the Maserati used a chain. All I know is the service manager went over the service schedule and the major ones are a lot less than the Ferraris. I'll probably just take it to Jiffy Lube and save money on maintenance. :D

Weakestlink,

The Masi doesnt need a engine out to complete major service..making it sig. cheaper to maintain then a 'normal' F-car. (most use belts..which need to be changed every 15k miles or 4-5 years)

Thanks Auraraptor. Now that you mention it, that was the same explanation given to me by the service manager. I just realized that when I take the car in for service, I doubt they give out loaner cars. That's going to suck. Maybe I can talk them into giving me a Ferrari as a loaner. :D

My opinion, for what it's worth

WeakestLink said:
Thanks Auraraptor. Now that you mention it, that was the same explanation given to me by the service manager. I just realized that when I take the car in for service, I doubt they give out loaner cars. That's going to suck. Maybe I can talk them into giving me a Ferrari as a loaner. :D

Before I got the NSX, I went across the street to the F/M dealer in Greenwich. They let me drive the coupe first, and if I was still interested in the car, they told me that they'd let me drive a Spider (m/t) the next day. The coupe rode and handled beautifully, but the one deal killer for me, wasn't the maintenance costs, or the acquisition expense, it was the seat. The bolster on the seatback hit me right on the shoulderblade, and it's not adjustable. Make sure that you can get comfortable in the car, before you plunks down the $$$$$$. If the car fits, it's a nice ride, but I think like already expressed by previous comments, it's not a "sport's car", it's more of a luxury tourer-

Thanks for the warning. I don't remember the any part of the seat being uncomfortable but I will make sure to notice it when I go pick up the car later this week.

I will pick up the car later this week. I will try to post pictures but I am both technologically and mechanically challenged. :D I only recently figured out how to post faces and as you can tell, I am having fun with it. :) :( :o :D ;) :p :rolleyes: :confused: :eek: :mad:

Must not be too stupid, if you can afford to buy a Maserati only one day after even thinking about it....Or maybe it's the other way around.....

Just kidding, enjoy your new toy.

I gotta get out of government work and find something that pays..... :)

It'll be a few months before I find out for sure whether this was a good decision or not. Even if it's not, I hope to have fun with it.

So Sunday afternoon, I post my Porsche on roadfly.org and 5 hours later, the car is sold to someone who drove right over and gave me a deposit. He also asked me to not drive the car anymore which is reasonable. It kind of put me in shock as I figured I'd have the next week to play around with the Porsche and without any warning, I can't drive it anymore. Oh well. Guess you have to be careful what you ask for.

Back