Opinions on automatics

I have been an NSX fan for over 10 years now and have finally decided to take the plunge. In my search over the last 2 months I occasionally come across an auto. Although I am pretty set on getting a 6sp I am not completely adverse to getting an auto. Practically it wouldn't be a bad idea considering I have had hip and back surgery in the past. I have driven an older NSX so I know that clutch experience.

So, those of you who have an auto or have owned one in the past, what is your experience? Is the fun factor diminished considerably? Or not so much because it is such an amazing drive?

I'd especially love to hear from those of you who own one of each (i know your out there).

If this subject has been beat to death then I apologize in advance.

Transmission aside, automatics has a lower horsepower rating than a manual. Get the auto for convenience, but not for performance. I've driven both and the difference is night and day. No comparison.

there is already a big difference between stick and auto in any car. if you know how to drive a stick, get a stick. if you don't know how to drive a stick, get a stick.

It is a 2 seat 170+MPH car; how piratical do you want to be? :rolleyes: Having control of the shift rpm and speed verses rpm to stay v-tech range seems to define the "Sports Car Driving Experience" for me. :biggrin:

Bob

Last edited:
With the significant power loss on an already not exactly over powered car to many standards, it is difficult to justify getting an auto unless you must. I also bet the 4spd transmission [guessing since it was 91 or earlier when they designed it] has pretty lax gear ratios, making it even slower than a 5spd with 250hp would be. If you just want to cruise around city streets effortlessly, perhaps the auto is for you. You still cruise the highways effortlessly in the 6spd :biggrin:

My Dad's is an 04 auto and it also has the 4-speed shifter on the steering column and it is plenty fast. He did not want a stick b/c it is a daily driver and he drove too many sticks growing up and the 4 speed shifter really impressed him. I can not drive a stick due to a foot/leg issue so it is fine w/ me. I have an 04 G35 auto with the manual shift and it is a lot of fun but autos are just fine for me. A lot will say a stick is the pure driving exp, but to each his own. A lot of cars are going w/ the paddle shifters as they are really fun as experts say they are "faster" than manual b/c you can not shiift a manual gearbox as fast as you can go through the gears w/paddle shifters.

Basically get what you want. The auto may be less power and slower then the manual but the newer model NSX's auto vs manual the gap is smaller in performance. Either way, the NSX is a "looker and a blast to drive". Good luck...........:smile:

lagunacat said:
Although I am pretty set on getting a 6sp...

I've owned both and each has its place per the owner's needs and wants.
If you're pretty set on purchasing a manual, it's probably best you follow that route IMO.

Synthesis said:
there is already a big difference between stick and auto in any car. if you know how to drive a stick, get a stick. if you don't know how to drive a stick, get a stick.

Yep... Exactly right!

If you get an auto, I will disown you. :) j/k

ekin95 said:
A lot of cars are going w/ the paddle shifters as they are really fun as experts say they are "faster" than manual b/c you can not shiift a manual gearbox as fast as you can go through the gears w/paddle shifters.

Either way, the NSX is a "looker and a blast to drive". Good luck...........:smile:

That is what I was looking for, some reverb on paddle shifters. I know a lot of drivers have been moving over to this mode from stick.

I am not really concerned about the lesser HP. That can be dealt with later.

Thanks for the response.

I would 150% recommend getting the 6-speed over auto. 290HP vs 250. HUGE difference.

Guessing here: 0-60MPH 2005 NSX 6-speed: 4.5~4.8 Auto: 5.9~6.3

It is a shame honda didn't throw in a 5 or 6-speed auto in the NSX in 2002 and do paddle shifters.

The new C6 6-speed auto is nearly as fast as the manual and the new 911 Turbo is actually faster in auto!

There are many cars out there or coming that would be just as fun with an auto, but the fact is the NSX was never one of them.

Last edited:
Synthesis said:

Well that is kind of why I asked because the NSX isn't just ANY car. Oh I have been driving a stick since I was 12 so that isn't an issue.

lagunacat said:
That is what I was looking for, some reverb on paddle shifters. I know a lot of drivers have been moving over to this mode from stick.

I am not really concerned about the lesser HP. That can be dealt with later.

Thanks for the response.

i think you're mistaken. an auto with paddle shifters is not the same as an F1 gearbox. the stuff they slap in a ferrari isn't the same thing that's in a maxima; very different.

if the 6sp is going to just be a hassle for you (because of the surgery and all), or you drive the LIE everyday, then by all means, get the auto. but if you can do without the auto, i say do without it. you will be able to have a better selection if you get a 6sp, people won't ask "are you nuts" everytime they see the shifter, and you will have more power (you'll need all that you can get, as the car is underpowered to begin with), more fun, and less garbage to deal with when the tranny gets old.

other than that, i don't see a reason not to get a stick (unless you found that you prefer auto altogether.... some people do). just get what makes you happy and bitchslap everybody that talks smack :smile:

kkt said:
I've owned both and each has its place per the owner's needs and wants.
If you're pretty set on purchasing a manual, it's probably best you follow that route IMO.

Agreed. Get what makes you happy and stick to it. I drive an auto and have had no problems or issues with it what so ever. Speed doesn't mean as much to me, I bought the car for exclusivity and reliability (just so happens performance came with it, just not as much as the manual). All that aside it takes me too and fro on weekends and puts a smile to my face.

With regards to performance, again its all about what you want and how good a driver you are. I have been on a few ortega drives with people, some have left me in the dust, and some I have been able to keep up with, so go figure. :smile:

Synthesis said:
i think you're mistaken. an auto with paddle shifters is not the same as an F1 gearbox. the stuff they slap in a ferrari isn't the same thing that's in a maxima; very different.

yikes! where did I mention F1?

lagunacat said:
yikes! where did I mention F1?

Well I think he was making a point that paddle shifted cars are not all the same, and I agree 100%.

There are the real paddle shift cars like the Ferrari F1 and Maserati Cambiocorsa. You select "1st" and feel a slight jolt... you step on the gas and the engine revs up before the car moves up just like a clutch in a stick. You upshift and its instant response with a slight delay when the engine drops RPM, just as it would as if the clutch was depressed. It may all be happening without a clutch, but it is essentialy a manual transmission with all the same charactersitics. You can even stall the engine by not downshifting. You have to pay attention... and its all very engaging. Imagine it as a stick with a little guy in the trans working the clutch for you very precisely.

On most other cars, "paddle shift" is a joke... its an automatic trans with the selector moved over to paddles. They are slow, non-responsive, after a while you wonder what its even there when its doing its own thing anyway. These days, its just a way to make an automatic seem "cool". They truly may as well not be there.

I drove the new Jaguar XK that has the fastest shifts but it was not nearly as engaging as the F1. From what I understand BMW's SMG is similar to a real clutchless trans... but I am not sure, I have never driven one.

Anyway don't look for that kind of behavior in an automatic NSX. Its an automatic. You can pretend you are shifting but you have little to do with whats going on.

I think the appeal of the NSX is that it is a fun car to drive, and you will lose a lot of that with an auto. Also get yourself ready for some negative comments. I had a 600HP turbo Supra I drag raced and after tearing apart 3 standards, I went with an auto and the car was actually faster (because it was a turbo, this will not be the case in any NSX), but everyone that looked inside this mean looking Supra with chromed out engine and rollcage just laughed when they saw "P-R-N-D-2-1".

ekin95 said:
My Dad's is an 04 auto and it also has the 4-speed shifter on the steering column and it is plenty fast. He did not want a stick b/c it is a daily driver and he drove too many sticks growing up and the 4 speed shifter really impressed him. I can not drive a stick due to a foot/leg issue so it is fine w/ me. I have an 04 G35 auto with the manual shift and it is a lot of fun but autos are just fine for me. A lot will say a stick is the pure driving exp, but to each his own. A lot of cars are going w/ the paddle shifters as they are really fun as experts say they are "faster" than manual b/c you can not shiift a manual gearbox as fast as you can go through the gears w/paddle shifters.

I've owned an NSX with the sport shift automatic and an NSX 6-speed, and I can tell you there is a big difference. The NSX automatic is not a true paddle shift. It still uses a torque converter and because of that the drive train loss is pretty significant. I didn't know how big of a performance difference there was until I traded my auto NSX for the 6 speed I now own.

ekin95 said:
Basically get what you want. The auto may be less power and slower then the manual but the newer model NSX's auto vs manual the gap is smaller in performance. Either way, the NSX is a "looker and a blast to drive". Good luck...........:smile:

I disagree. The newer model NSX's auto vs manual has even a larger gap in performance. Remember, the engine on the automatic is the same detuned 3.0L NA1 engine since 1991, and the tranny is the same automatic except with sportshift added in 1995. None of the engine enhancements in 1997 apply to NSXs equipped with automatic!

lagunacat said:
Well that is kind of why I asked because the NSX isn't just ANY car. Oh I have been driving a stick since I was 12 so that isn't an issue.

If you know how to drive both then why not just go test drive both and make a decision on what you like best?

come to think of it..... if they gave the nsx some balls and an F1 tranny option..... it may have survived in the later market. that'd be pretty sweet.

TURBO2GO said:
On most other cars, "paddle shift" is a joke... its an automatic trans with the selector moved over to paddles. They are slow, non-responsive, after a while you wonder what its even there when its doing its own thing anyway. These days, its just a way to make an automatic seem "cool". They truly may as well not be there.

I drove the new Jaguar XK that has the fastest shifts but it was not nearly as engaging as the F1. From what I understand BMW's SMG is similar to a real clutchless trans... but I am not sure, I have never driven one.

Anyway don't look for that kind of behavior in an automatic NSX. Its an automatic. You can pretend you are shifting but you have little to do with whats going on.
Very informative response. It is disappointing to hear that paddle shift feature is just cosmetic. So many of these car companies market their autos, paddle, tiptronic, etc., to make it sound like it is mimics a manual without the clutch but really it is the same as any other auto. Is this true of Aston Martin as well?

Anyway thanks for all the responses with thoughtful explanations. I most likely will only look for a car with stick. I started this thread because I wanted to hear the experiences of NSX owners with autos. Because it is an NSX and a fun experience. I wouldn't have done this say on a BMW forum. It was disappointing to have stick owners chime in and just slam automatics because it will never beat having a stick. I think I knew that already.

Thanks to the rest of you.

lagunacat said:
. It was disappointing to have stick owners chime in and just slam automatics because it will never beat having a stick. I think I knew that already.

Thanks to the rest of you.

I can tell you that DRUBY's car is a 98 auto and he does very well on the track against just about any other car except in the straight. We might be running together this weekend. Of course, he now runs R compound which I think will be a bigger help than an additional 200HP.

The other thing is that it may be hard to get rid of. I know they will be rare but almost no one wants to buy this car in an auto. So it may just sit. Watching ebay a lot I have seen that happen.

We don't want you driving in pain obviously... so if its that big a deal get the auto anyway... but really this car is better in standard.

If it were me personally buy the car today, I would pick a 06 C6 with the 6-speed automatic over any Automatic NSX. Just my opinion.

lagunacat said:
It was disappointing to have stick owners chime in and just slam automatics because it will never beat having a stick. I think I knew that already.

If the NSX automatics got a power bump in 1997 and the tranny was upgraded to a 5 speed or even 6 speed auto, then my comments would be different. Even better is if they introduced a tranny like BMW's SMG or Audi's DSG or any of the other true sequential manuals on the market nowadays.

My comments were based on owning both vehicles. Some people bash the NSX for being dated, but the automatic is even more so because of the 4 speed automatic. There really aren't that many new cars nowadays that has a 4 speed automatic. Like I said, the NSX automatic evolved cosmetically like the manual, but in terms of everything else, it is mostly unchanged since 1991. You really need to drive both in order to really know what I mean.
Here is an interior pic of my NSX auto:

6204459-670d-02000180-.jpg

No offense to any of the auto guys ,but a paddle shifter on an auto is pointless. Paddle shifting auto's that will shift whether you want it to or not does take away from a sporty driving experience. I've have a SMG II on my M3 and it's a good compromise ,but still a stick ( will hold a gear until you shift and has no torque convertor ). Although sometimes it's still a little frustrating.

Back