Opinions: Change T-Belt on low mi 1991?

This is debatable and has been discussed at length many times. Some people will say you must do it, others say no big deal. Here is my take on it.

Cost of replacing the timing belt which may or may not have been weakened over the years of sitting (a 1991 with 6,000 sadly low miles must sit a LOT) is far less than rebuilding the motor on the NSX if it would break. If nothing else, replace it for peace of mind. Are you going to drive the car, or let it sit some more? Please drive it! They are meant to drive.

P.S.-- Where did you find this car? Color? Price? Just curious. Thank you. Enjoy! :)

In addition to searching the archives for what people think, the FAQ is a great place to start to understand the issues surrounding the timing belt:

"The US service manual states that the timing belt should be replaced at 72 months (6 years) or 90,000 miles. The vast majority of NSXs hit 6 years well before they are anywhere near 90k miles so many owners are wondering if they really need to change the belt at 6 years.

The "safe" answer is to replace it per the maintenance schedule. However, considering the way many NSXs are pampered and the conservative nature of most timing belt replacement schedules, it is probably fairly safe for most owners to go beyond 6 years on low-mile cars."

How much more is a personal choice based on how much risk you are willing to take.

Regards.

Sorry if this topic has been debated/posted ad nausium, I tried to search for this, but I guess I did not stumble on the correct terms. I will try to read the FAQ also. ... now, ahem... next related question... "if" the timing belt should break, how much damage is to be expected. Having owned several watercooled Porsche's the usual timing belt disaster means bent valves (or more) and a substantial repair bill of $2-5,000.00. Is this going to be similar on the NSX? What does an engine rebuild cost?

BMillar said:
Having owned several watercooled Porsche's the usual timing belt disaster means bent valves (or more) and a substantial repair bill of $2-5,000.00. Is this going to be similar on the NSX? What does an engine rebuild cost?

If you have to ask, you can't afford it. :D

It's almost certainly going to cost several times that of the timing belt replacement ($1200-1400). Or more.

Remember, your timing belt is now 12 years old. :eek: Honda recommends that it should have been replaced six years ago.

BMillar said:
Sorry if this topic has been debated/posted ad nausium, I tried to search for this, but I guess I did not stumble on the correct terms. I will try to read the FAQ also. ... now, ahem... next related question... "if" the timing belt should break, how much damage is to be expected. Having owned several watercooled Porsche's the usual timing belt disaster means bent valves (or more) and a substantial repair bill of $2-5,000.00. Is this going to be similar on the NSX? What does an engine rebuild cost?

My engine rebuild from a different cause (NOT timing belt) is around $8,000. Do the math...a timing belt is cheaper.

All kidding aside :),

$5-6K sounds about right. Not a pretty story. It is an "interference" engine. But since it is VTEC there is a little more valve clearance if not in VTEC mode, so over 6K RPM, might be a little worse:(.

I really do think this one should be changed, and I am more of a risk taker then some, heck I did mine at 11 years old, 30K miles. Not that I would ever recommend that.

This car has been through probably a lot of temperature change, and the belt is probably stiff, from very little movement for long periods of time.

HTH,
LarryB

Actually, I don't even this issue is debatable.

I purchased a 92 NSX with 8K miles about 2 years ago. Changing the timing belt was one of my first priorities.

I would recommend doing it as soon as reasonably possible.

-Jim

Back