• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Opinions and reviews on the HP turbo kit

Must be because I specifically recall you saying:
I meant I dont recall saying that it was because of the HP kit that they hold the record , I did say that the HP kit holds the record.

One has nothing to do with the other. That would be like saying, Puma still holds the record for the fastest 100 m dash because Usain Bolt wore them. While "technically true", does anyone have any illusion that the manufacturer of the shoe had any part in attaining that record? :rolleyes:

It is impressive, but it has absolutely nothing to do with the turbo kit. ANY turbo kit would have done the same given the same boost levels. What's impressive is the stock internals and how remarkable they have held up and not the turbo kit. Put the exact same HP turbo kit on a less stout stock engine (like my original one) and it would have blown up before it even hit 400 hp. Conversely put my turbo, or SOS's turbo, or Brand X turbo on that remarkable stock engine and it would still pull the same numbers given the same boost levels because it's already shown it can handle that level of boost and power.
I must disagree as I am certain that a turbo kit that is maxed out at 400whp could not do this. If you do your research you will see that it is not just boost that builds that hp but boost and CFM that make pawer at a certain boost level.Again if you get a great tuner you probably would not have hurt your motor. It has been said before and i will say it again,with a bad tune you can blow your motor at 400 hp and with a good tune you can run 5-600 hp on stock internals.. I seem to have hit a nerve as I suspect that you have a lot of money in your car and are not as fast?????? If you must argue with every statement why dont you just start your own thread maybe with a title of MISINTERPRET THIS....make it a great day

Last edited:
I must disagree as I am certain that a turbo kit that is maxed out at 400whp could not do this. If you do your research you will see that it is not just boost that builds that hp but boost and CFM that make pawer at a certain boost level.Again if you get a great tuner you probably would not have hurt your motor. It has been said before and i will say it again,with a bad tune you can blow your motor at 400 hp and with a good tune you can run 5-600 hp on stock internals.. I seem to have hit a nerve as I suspect that you have a lot of money in your car and are not as fast?????? If you must argue with every statement why dont you just start your own thread maybe with a title of MISINTERPRET THIS....make it a great day

I've already commented in plenty of threads about CFM(aka lb/min) and power production. Do you really think the only reason you are running low 10's and making 600+whp is because of the turbo kit you are running, and that no other brand kit would be able to do this?

Most of the turbo kits on the market aren't close to maxxed out at 400whp. SOS kit with gt28rs' can and has made 650+. To insinuate that your kit alone is the only that can do it or that it was the reason why you have made more power than anyone is not credible that is all he is saying.

Hit a nerve? Ha, nonsense! I’ve openly discussed how much money and difficulties I’ve had in going forced induction. It doesn’t bother me at all. In fact, if I was so embarrassed at all then why in the world would I specifically create a thread discussing how many times I’ve blown up my engine? I'll tell you why. The point of it is purely for educational purposes so that people can learn from the collective experiences from multiple people.

Which is incidentally why I take so much issue with your posts. You are spreading such horrible mis-information, I felt it would be proper to clarify for the forum and the OP some of the egregious statements you are making. There are so many errors and horrible logic in your statements I almost don’t even know where to begin.

First off, a turbo does one thing and ONLY one thing. It converts exhaust gas pressures to spin ½ of a turbo impeller. On the other side, another impeller connected by a shaft takes ambient air and forces it into the intake of an engine. So the only function a turbo does is increase the amount of air an engine intakes by compressing it. The measure of how good a turbo kit is has to do strictly with how efficiently it converts the exhaust gases into intake boost pressure. A turbo kit has nothing to do with how well an engine is going to hold up to the additional pressure or forces it creates.

Secondly, the function of a tune is to maximize the power generated by manipulating the air/fuel ration at the time of combustion. The closer the air/fuel ratio you can get to the stoichiometric condition of 14.7 the greater the combustion process and the more power you will generate. At a 14.7 air/fuel ratio you will get a perfect stoichiometric reaction, which means instantaneous detonation (aka explosion). At detonation, the forces are so great any engine would fail regardless of what power level it was running at. 200 HP, 300 HP, 400 HP, 500 HP, 600 HP, 1000 HP. All engines, even naturally aspirated ones, would fail regardless if the tune was allowed to reach air/fuel ratios of 14.7 or greater. That’s why as a safety factor, most air fuel ratios are typically in the 11’s. The only way a tune has the ability to damage an engine is if it creates detonations by reaching stoichiometric combustion in the cylinders.

Thirdly, engines fail when there are excessive forces inside the cylinder and piston. So there are two things that could cause an engine to fail. First if the tune was poor and allowed the air fuel ratio to get to stoichiometric conditions and allow detonation (which is an explosion), the spontaneous combustion forces would be so great, it would cause damage in the engine. However, even if the tune was absolutely perfect to avoid stoichiometric detonation, the engine could still fail because the combustion forces are still greater than what the engine can handle. The piston heads, seals, rods and cylinder walls do not have the strength to handle such forces.

Case in point, when I damaged my engine at around 425 hp (intentionally) I was testing the limits of what my stock engine could handle. The tune was perfect as there was no signs of any detonation. The engine failed because the piston head and seals broke due to the additional forces being generated. That is because the stock piston head could not hold the force required to sustain the combustion forces the additional air and fuel generated. This is the case with anybody who has engine damage with boost without detonation due to a bad tune. When we rebuilt the engine with reinforced sleeves, forged pistons and rods, with the exact same tune, the car ran flawlessly. Exact same turbo, exact same tune, just strong internal components.

FACTS:

1) A turbo kit has nothing to do with how well an engine is going to hold up to the additional pressure or forces it creates.
2) The only way a bad tune can blow up an engine is if it creates a detonation due to stoichiometric combustion.
3) An engine can STILL FAIL even with a good tune and detonation because the increased forces due to forced induction.
4) The type of turbo kit, brand or forced induction system has absolutely nothing to do with how well the stock internals of an NSX engine will last.

1) Good Tune + Engine can handle Power + Turbo Kit = Power
2) Good Tune + Engine can handle Power + Better Turbo Kit = More Power
3) Better Tune + Engine can handle Power + Turbo Kit = More Power
4) Good Tune + Engine CAN’T Handle Power + Turbo Kit = Damaged Engine
5) Good Tune + Engine CAN’T Handle Power + Better Turbo Kit = Damaged Engine
6) Better Tune + Engine CAN’T Handle Power + Turbo Kit = Damaged Engine
7) Bad Tune + Engine can handle Power + Turbo Kit = Damaged Engine
8) Bad Tune + Engine can handle Power + Better Turbo Kit = Damaged Engine
9) Good Tune + Engine can handle Power + Bad Turbo Kit = Little Power gains.

Again if you get a great tuner you probably would not have hurt your motor. It has been said before and i will say it again,with a bad tune you can blow your motor at 400 hp and with a good tune you can run 5-600 hp on stock internals..

Do you have any clue what you are saying? You can blow your engine with a bad tune at any power level. A bad tune causes detonation. Detonation is what kills engines.

However, detonation isn't the only thing that causes ruined engines. Excessive forces can ruin engines, even with a perfect tune. Go to 1,000 HP with a perfect tune and see if your engine holds up with stock internals.

The point is that each engine is built uniquely and some are able to handle more power than others. You may have been able to get to 600 WHP on your stock engine, but that is rare and definitely not the norm. A vast majority of people have blown up their engines at less than 500 HP, even with a perfect tune, because their particular engine wasn't able to hold the forces. To say any stock NSX engine can handle 600 WHP is simply irresponsible, because statistically this is not the norm.

If you must argue with every statement why dont you just start your own thread

Because this is completely relevant to the OP's question and on topic. I'm simply correcting inaccurate statements made by you so the OP and others are not misled.

The HP kit still holds the record for the fastest stock internals NSX on the planet.

Well, the Factor X Turbo Kit (which is what I have) holds the record for the fastest car around ButtonWillow raceway.

SO WHAT? What does that mean? Absolutely nothing! The actual turbo kit is one of about a thousand other factors that makes that car fast. You think the HP kit is responsible for your drag times or the Factor X kit is responsible for the record track time at ButtonWillow?

How about the driver? The tires? The condition of the track? The weight reduction on the car?

What a ridiculous statement.

If you do your research you will see that it is not just boost that builds that hp but boost and CFM that make pawer at a certain boost level.

I'm not even going to being describe and breakdown how ridiculous this statement is. Do you have any idea how boost pressure is calculated? And do you realize that both the cross sectional area of the intake and the cylinder volume at the time of combustion is a fixed number? So you do realize that at a given fixed volume there is a direct relationship between volumetric flow rate (CFM) and pressure (PSI)? Hint: Dynamic Pressure (PSI) = 1/2 Density * (CFM/AREA)^2. At this point do you realize how ridiculous your statement is or should I go further? I'm a mechanical engineer in an industry where I live and breathe "CFM" on a daily basis. You are out of your league and don't know what you are talking about.

Hit a nerve? Ha, nonsense! I’ve openly discussed how much money and difficulties I’ve had in going forced induction. It doesn’t bother me at all. In fact, if I was so embarrassed at all then why in the world would I specifically create a thread discussing how many times I’ve blown up my engine? I'll tell you why. The point of it is purely for educational purposes so that people can learn from the collective experiences from multiple people.

Which is incidentally why I take so much issue with your posts. You are spreading such horrible mis-information, I felt it would be proper to clarify for the forum and the OP some of the egregious statements you are making. There are so many errors and horrible logic in your statements I almost don’t even know where to begin.

First off, a turbo does one thing and ONLY one thing. It converts exhaust gas pressures to spin ½ of a turbo impeller. On the other side, another impeller connected by a shaft takes ambient air and forces it into the intake of an engine. So the only function a turbo does is increase the amount of air an engine intakes by compressing it. The measure of how good a turbo kit is has to do strictly with how efficiently it converts the exhaust gases into intake boost pressure. A turbo kit has nothing to do with how well an engine is going to hold up to the additional pressure or forces it creates.

Secondly, the function of a tune is to maximize the power generated by manipulating the air/fuel ration at the time of combustion. The closer the air/fuel ratio you can get to the stoichiometric condition of 14.7 the greater the combustion process and the more power you will generate. At a 14.7 air/fuel ratio you will get a perfect stoichiometric reaction, which means instantaneous detonation (aka explosion). At detonation, the forces are so great any engine would fail regardless of what power level it was running at. 200 HP, 300 HP, 400 HP, 500 HP, 600 HP, 1000 HP. All engines, even naturally aspirated ones, would fail regardless if the tune was allowed to reach air/fuel ratios of 14.7 or greater. That’s why as a safety factor, most air fuel ratios are typically in the 11’s. The only way a tune has the ability to damage an engine is if it creates detonations by reaching stoichiometric combustion in the cylinders.

Thirdly, engines fail when there are excessive forces inside the cylinder and piston. So there are two things that could cause an engine to fail. First if the tune was poor and allowed the air fuel ratio to get to stoichiometric conditions and allow detonation (which is an explosion), the spontaneous combustion forces would be so great, it would cause damage in the engine. However, even if the tune was absolutely perfect to avoid stoichiometric detonation, the engine could still fail because the combustion forces are still greater than what the engine can handle. The piston heads, seals, rods and cylinder walls do not have the strength to handle such forces.

Case in point, when I damaged my engine at around 425 hp (intentionally) I was testing the limits of what my stock engine could handle. The tune was perfect as there was no signs of any detonation. The engine failed because the piston head and seals broke due to the additional forces being generated. That is because the stock piston head could not hold the force required to sustain the combustion forces the additional air and fuel generated. This is the case with anybody who has engine damage with boost without detonation due to a bad tune. When we rebuilt the engine with reinforced sleeves, forged pistons and rods, with the exact same tune, the car ran flawlessly. Exact same turbo, exact same tune, just strong internal components.

FACTS:

1) A turbo kit has nothing to do with how well an engine is going to hold up to the additional pressure or forces it creates.
2) The only way a bad tune can blow up an engine is if it creates a detonation due to stoichiometric combustion.
3) An engine can STILL FAIL even with a good tune and detonation because the increased forces due to forced induction.
4) The type of turbo kit, brand or forced induction system has absolutely nothing to do with how well the stock internals of an NSX engine will last.

1) Good Tune + Engine can handle Power + Turbo Kit = Power
2) Good Tune + Engine can handle Power + Better Turbo Kit = More Power
3) Better Tune + Engine can handle Power + Turbo Kit = More Power
4) Good Tune + Engine CAN’T Handle Power + Turbo Kit = Damaged Engine
5) Good Tune + Engine CAN’T Handle Power + Better Turbo Kit = Damaged Engine
6) Better Tune + Engine CAN’T Handle Power + Turbo Kit = Damaged Engine
7) Bad Tune + Engine can handle Power + Turbo Kit = Damaged Engine
8) Bad Tune + Engine can handle Power + Better Turbo Kit = Damaged Engine
9) Good Tune + Engine can handle Power + Bad Turbo Kit = Little Power gains.

Do you have any clue what you are saying? You can blow your engine with a bad tune at any power level. A bad tune causes detonation. Detonation is what kills engines.

However, detonation isn't the only thing that causes ruined engines. Excessive forces can ruin engines, even with a perfect tune. Go to 1,000 HP with a perfect tune and see if your engine holds up with stock internals.

The point is that each engine is built uniquely and some are able to handle more power than others. You may have been able to get to 600 WHP on your stock engine, but that is rare and definitely not the norm. A vast majority of people have blown up their engines at less than 500 HP, even with a perfect tune, because their particular engine wasn't able to hold the forces. To say any stock NSX engine can handle 600 WHP is simply irresponsible, because statistically this is not the norm.

Because this is completely relevant to the OP's question and on topic. I'm simply correcting inaccurate statements made by you so the OP and others are not misled.

Well, the Factor X Turbo Kit (which is what I have) holds the record for the fastest car around ButtonWillow raceway.

SO WHAT? What does that mean? Absolutely nothing! The actual turbo kit is one of about a thousand other factors that makes that car fast. You think the HP kit is responsible for your drag times or the Factor X kit is responsible for the record track time at ButtonWillow?

How about the driver? The tires? The condition of the track? The weight reduction on the car?

What a ridiculous statement.

I'm not even going to being describe and breakdown how ridiculous this statement is. Do you have any idea how boost pressure is calculated? And do you realize that both the cross sectional area of the intake and the cylinder volume at the time of combustion is a fixed number? So you do realize that at a given fixed volume there is a direct relationship between volumetric flow rate (CFM) and pressure (PSI)? Hint: Dynamic Pressure (PSI) = 1/2 Density * (CFM/AREA)^2. At this point do you realize how ridiculous your statement is or should I go further? I'm a mechanical engineer in an industry where I live and breathe "CFM" on a daily basis. You are out of your league and don't know what you are talking about.
Yup hit a nerve

I've already commented in plenty of threads about CFM(aka lb/min) and power production. Do you really think the only reason you are running low 10's and making 600+whp is because of the turbo kit you are running, and that no other brand kit would be able to do this?

Most of the turbo kits on the market aren't close to maxxed out at 400whp. SOS kit with gt28rs' can and has made 650+. To insinuate that your kit alone is the only that can do it or that it was the reason why you have made more power than anyone is not credible that is all he is saying.
Holy crap relax. It is not my kit and I dont have that kit. All I said is that their kit has the record.Does it matter, no, but it was their kit and it was tuned by them.For all I know the guy paid a driver to run those times, all I said is it was their kit. Maybe someone else could step up and go faster.

Yup hit a nerve

Ha well it's your call. Either:

A) It didn't bother me and I simply was replying to your posts with corrections like I said I was doing.

Or

B) You did strike a nerve, in which case I would have gone out of my way to put you in your place and absolutely take you to school by dismantling everything you said and proving the ridiculousness of your comments with logic and backing it up with actual facts to which you have absolutely no retort.

Take your pick. Although I find it interesting that we both live up to our screen names. My NSX is in fact in Vegas and your screen name... well...

Last edited:
The OP requested opinions and reviews on the hp turbo kit. I simply posted a review that I was aware of. The fastest stock motor NSX on the planet. I was not trying to start controversy,just stating a fact. The OP can decide if this is what he wants or not. Maybe the owner of HP paid a driver to run those times so he could sell more kits,I dont know? That was my input to the OP. VEGASNSX I dont know you but you are passionate , and that is great. hybrdthry911 misunderstood my posting, that is OK. I was just putting in my .02. Now I know what Ross @STMPO goes through when he is misunderstood .Make it a great day.

Last edited:
to push over 420 whp safe on stock motor u need to run e85 or some kinda meth injection to help it last longer with good tune. Even with good tune, one bad gas can destroy the motor. So guys if u don't know what u doing please keep ur power around 400whp to be safe or it will cost u a lot of money. just my .02 cent

The OP requested opinions and reviews on the hp turbo kit. I simply posted a review that I was aware of. The fastest stock motor NSX on the planet. I was not trying to start controversy,just stating a fact. The OP can decide if this is what he wants or not. Maybe the owner of HP paid a driver to run those times so he could sell more kits,I dont know? That was my input to the OP. VEGASNSX I dont know you but you are passionate , and that is great. hybrdthry911 misunderstood my posting, that is OK. I was just putting in my .02. Now I know what Ross @STMPO goes through when he is misunderstood .Make it a great day.

My first comment was not an attack on you, but I wanted to clarify any mis-information based on my own experiences (which I think are pretty substantial). I think when you starting making it a bit more personal by saying things like:

Must be something in the water? ...

OBVIOUSLY it was tuned correctly. Simple as that.

and

I seem to have hit a nerve as I suspect that you have a lot of money in your car and are not as fast??????

I thought was uncalled for as well as making it sound like I didn't know what I was talking about. Along with other things you were saying that I didn't find to be very factual, that's when I decided to bring the hammer down and really get into it.

Well regardless, I'm not here to bash or praise any particular turbo kit or performance numbers. I'm just here to provide factual information for anybody who might be researching FI for their NSX. If you notice, I never really made any comments regarding specific kits or tuners; I merely discussed how the engine and turbos work and what to consider when boosting your car.

Ultimately I'm a huge fan of forced induction and I'm actually happy for people on what they can achieve. Even though I have an old Factor X turbo setup, I'm the first to recommend other turbo kits, like SOS and LoveFab, because I can appreciate what they've done. I cheer guys like Danny, LoveFab, SOS because they keep pushing the envelope of the FI world, even though they put my turbo setup to shame. I'm not bitter or jealous at all. I want people to get better numbers and performance than what I have because it means the FI knowledge base is moving forward and better and better kits are coming out.

As I've said before, if you are able to get 600+ whp on a stock engine, that's fantastic and I'm very happy for you. You are very lucky and that is great. I'm definitely not denying it's not possible, but I also think it is important for people to know that, that is extremely rare since 9 times out of 10 the stock NSX won't be able to hold up to that level of power, even with the best turbo kit, perfect tuning, and highest quality fuels and oils. I'm sure you had to upgrade your clutch when you got past 450 HP or so. It's not because there was anything wrong with your clutch, or tune or turbo. It's just that the stock clutch simply couldn't handle the additional power it wasn't designed to handle. Some stock clutches can handle only 350 HP, some can handle more. Occasionally a rare one has been able to hold nearly 500 HP, but again that is rare. That's the same for the stock NSX engine. Some can only handle 400 whp (like mine) some can handle much more (like yours), but I think the general consensus is the rough average is somewhere around 425 whp, all things being equal.

to push over 420 whp safe on stock motor u need to run e85 or some kinda meth injection to help it last longer with good tune. Even with good tune, one bad gas can destroy the motor. So guys if u don't know what u doing please keep ur power around 400whp to be safe or it will cost u a lot of money. just my .02 cent

420whp isn't even close to the limits of pump gas on our motors.

Maybe u r right, but I wouldn't push my stock motor(paper head gaskets) over 420whp without running water meth injection.

Maybe u r right, but I wouldn't push my stock motor(paper head gaskets) over 420whp without running water meth injection.

Unless you were at the limits of pump gas water/meth isn't going to save you any gaskets.

Lets just do some quick reasoning here. We can all agree Cylinder pressure causes head gaskets to pop either by lifting the head or just shitty gasket material. Either a huge spike in cylinder pressure a la detonation or prolonged moderate cylinder pressure(lets say normal safe cylinder pressure for 420whp) might cause a head gasket to pop. When you are not at the limits of gasoline the only reason for detonation is a bad tune so if you are relying on water/meth to save you from a bad tune well sucks for you then. If you have 2 engines one with meth and one without both at 420whp their peak cylinder pressure will be the same. Water/Meth does nothing to reduce cylinder pressure. Water/Meth will slow down the combustion event reducing total cylinder pressure which tuners counteract by increasing timing to bring cylinder pressure back up to make up for the power lost due to the water/meth injection. Water/Meth will not prevent physical failures of an engine assuming without it you weren't detonating of course.

Once a again u might be right cause u r a tuner I'm not. My tuner recommend me not push any more than 8psi around 420 whp. So far so good over 2years boosted

Ha well it's your call. Either:

A) It didn't bother me and I simply was replying to your posts with corrections like I said I was doing.

Or

B) You did strike a nerve, in which case I would have gone out of my way to put you in your place and absolutely take you to school by dismantling everything you said and proving the ridiculousness of your comments with logic and backing it up with actual facts to which you have absolutely no retort.

Take your pick. Although I find it interesting that we both live up to our screen names. My NSX is in fact in Vegas and your screen name... well...
disappointing

disappointing

Well in all defense, that post was sent in prior to your last post where you seemed to be much more reasonable. I responded to that post in kind, with a less pointed approach.

Look, let's stop beating this dead horse any further. Again, congrats on your performance levels on your stock engine. That's pretty remarkable and hope you can continue to defy the statistical odds. I look forward to see more posts and updates on how your build progresses as you push the limits of the stock engine.

Well in all defense, that post was sent in prior to your last post where you seemed to be much more reasonable. I responded to that post in kind, with a less pointed approach.

Look, let's stop beating this dead horse any further. Again, congrats on your performance levels on your stock engine. That's pretty remarkable and hope you can continue to defy the statistical odds. I look forward to see more posts and updates on how your build progresses as you push the limits of the stock engine.
Excellent I will be going to the track this weekend to try run my best run,hopefully the changes that I have made make a difference in a positive resutl. Make it a great day.

Excellent I will be going to the track this weekend to try run my best run,hopefully the changes that I have made make a difference in a positive resutl. Make it a great day.

What changes did you make?

Are you the one doing the 1/4 mile runs or do you have a driver who does the runs?

What changes did you make?

Are you the one doing the 1/4 mile runs or do you have a driver who does the runs?

I changed the car to e85 and did some weight reduction on the car, plus had to add a 6 point roll cage. More hp, less weight, should be faster but no guarantee. Yes I drive the car.

Last edited:
I changed the car to e85 and did some weight reduction on the car, plus had to add a 6 point roll cage. More hp, less weight, should be faster but no guarantee. Yes I drive the car.

Was going to ask how you guys are getting away with running these numbers without cages........my local track wouldn't let me run down even once.

So how was the weekend and happened? What were the results? Did your numbers improve?

I own this Ozsmart NSX as seen in Need for Speed Hot Persuit Promo.

I have the HP Performance kit on my 1991 Automatic NSX.

I currently make 450rwhp with huge torque. Havn't get the fuel ratios and timing fully sorted yet so more power to come. Pretty sure I can run 10's even before I turn up the boost. Running a GT35r on my kit. Wish I went the 42R now. LOL

Just ran an 11.3@120mph in full street trim. Pump fuel, street tyres, 1.6 60' launch. Not bad for a low powered automatic eh ????

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/HSjGufBjhR0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/EwwWAAuNQKc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

What do you all think of my NSX from down under ?

.....kaboom...Lol

Back