On the prowl for my first NSX

After researching the purchase of this car for over a year now, the time is finally drawing near to actually pull the trigger.

I'm currently deployed, but will be coming back to the U.S. in the middle of Summer and would like to find the right vehicle before then. I've lusted after this car since I was a teenager, and I am finally in a place financially where I can afford one. Other than the obvious maintenance / condition issues that all car buyers should be aware of, and the few NSX specific issues that are well known (Snap ring range, power windows, coolant tank, etc.), is there anything else that I should be paying close attention to?

There is some criteria that are essential to me:

-Silver or Black color (preferably Kaiser Silver)
-Manual Transmission
-Less than 100K miles
-Minimal body modifications (a widebody kit would be a deal breaker, but the NSX-R stuff is acceptable)

Options that I would find desirable:

-Upgraded wheels
-Upgraded suspension (Tein, Bilsteins on lower perch, etc)
-Upgraded exhaust system
-Forced Induction

Here are my biggest questions:

Would it be better to look for a '97-'99 without some of the more expensive desired modifications, or should I be looking at something older? It seems like quite a deal can be had buying a vehicle already modified to my liking.

Are there any particular years I should try to stay away from?

Other than the obvious places (here, Ebay, Autotrader), are there any other good places to look for used NSX's?

My budget is $35K. Thanks for any help, it is greatly appreciated!

I wouldn't even bother with autotrader personally. There are so many scams on there it is difficult to find the real cars in all that noise. The for sale section here is probably the best place you'll ever find.

I'm sure you've seen this one already, but at least it indicates that your budget isn't unrealistic (as happens so often on here).
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112647

Don't forget to consider sales tax like I did. :rolleyes: That is a big chunk of money.

I wouldn't even bother with autotrader personally. There are so many scams on there it is difficult to find the real cars in all that noise. The for sale section here is probably the best place you'll ever find.

I'm sure you've seen this one already, but at least it indicates that your budget isn't unrealistic (as happens so often on here).
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112647

Don't forget to consider sales tax like I did. :rolleyes: That is a big chunk of money.
I actually have a photograph of the vehicle you linked to; if it is still on the market when I get back, one of my first stops will be flying to check it out.

Is it really worth paying the premium for a newer vehicle?

Is it really worth paying the premium for a newer vehicle?

Someone that's owned both would probably be able to better answer that than I. I have a 91 and have only had it for 3 months.

Personally I do not care about having a removable top. I never even roll down my windows so I didn't want to pay extra for a heavier and less rigid car for a feature I'd never use.

I never planned to use the NSX as a daily driver so I wanted something as close to the original vision for the car as possible before everything was compromised to make people comfortable. This is also nice because these are the cheapest cars since they're the oldest. The downside to that is I have one of the first cars which was before they worked out the kinks (crappy window regulators, bad bose amps, snap ring, etc). I haven't run into any problems with mine yet though.

Not having power steering isn't too bad once you get used to it.
I wouldn't mind having a blue 02+, but I didn't think it was worth spending twice+ the money to get it.

I also figured that a 91 or 92 was perfect for me since it has no passenger airbag. This way I can take my son with me if I want to.

I imagine you'd be all kinds of happy no matter what year you got. The biggest thing to watch out for is maintenance. Timing belt service is expensive, and it seems that lots of newer cars have never had it done despite being well past the recommended age limit.

Hi Guys,

I'm on the prowl too. One of you mentioned here that the best place to locate a car is thru the Market on this site. I must say that there is one I've written to on the list and haven't gotten a response and I've sent 3 emails. My guess is that it's sold.

Otherwise why do you guys feel that auto trader is a poor place to look. I sold a car thru them and it was a good one. Someone mentioned scams - is there something to watch out for or is there another place besides NSX prime Market that would also be a good spot to look.

Thanks for the advice and I look forward to hearing from you folks. I surely am excited about getting one. My preference is Silver or White post 97 and preferrably a 2001.

Tim
Atlanta

Just wondering if anybody has ever purchased their NSX on EBAY?? I've seen a few that look pretty good but am very hesitant to buy off EBAY.

To the original poster;
Black is a PITA to keep clean. Trust me. Get a silver one.
I'd get a 97 plus for the 3.2 motor and 6 speed.
Buy one with all the mods you can if thats the direction you want to go.
Definitely not a salvage one unless it can be proved there is NO frame damage.

Like a Porsche or Ferrari get the best one you can afford. Its cheaper in the long run.

BTW you picked the right car. NSX's are the best bang for the buck in a daily driver exotic out there.

Just wondering if anybody has ever purchased their NSX on EBAY?? I've seen a few that look pretty good but am very hesitant to buy off EBAY.

My '97 T was listed on here but I actually bought it from Prime member Tom4416 off eBay. Here's one of the auction pics and the car is every bit as solid as it looks:
1997NSX4.jpg

Last edited:
Congrats on selecting an excellent exotic if this is indeed your first venture to that arena. If you prefer a removeable top, I'd recommend a '97 or newer depending on your funds. However, do some research on Prime to weigh the pros and cons for all years. There's information aplenty:smile:

Now - most important for you prowlers - do us all a favor and don't start a thread or revive a thread that compares the NSX to other cars on the market:biggrin:

Congrats on selecting an excellent exotic if this is indeed your first venture to that arena. If you prefer a removeable top, I'd recommend a '97 or newer depending on your funds. However, do some research on Prime to weigh the pros and cons for all years. There's information aplenty:smile:

Now - most important for you prowlers - do us all a favor and don't start a thread or revive a thread that compares the NSX to other cars on the market:biggrin:
Thanks for all the responses, guys!

The removable top really isn't an issue either way. My deployment schedule is and will in the future take away the my summers in the United States, so top down motoring isn't a huge concern.

One more question that is really more financial than anything else: I've socked away enough money to cover my budget in cash, but was considering borrowing a portion of the money towards the car purely to establish some credit. Do you think this is worth doing? I don't mind paying a little extra premium in interest if it will help me in the long run.

(Note: I'm a single, debt free military guy who rents from a friend. I'm not a homeowner, but I plan to be in a few years after I ensnare my girlfriend in marriage)

Thanks for all the responses, guys!

The removable top really isn't an issue either way. My deployment schedule is and will in the future take away the my summers in the United States, so top down motoring isn't a huge concern.

One more question that is really more financial than anything else: I've socked away enough money to cover my budget in cash, but was considering borrowing a portion of the money towards the car purely to establish some credit. Do you think this is worth doing? I don't mind paying a little extra premium in interest if it will help me in the long run.

(Note: I'm a single, debt free military guy who rents from a friend. I'm not a homeowner, but I plan to be in a few years after I ensnare my girlfriend in marriage)

Personally I like to pay cash for cars if possible but to help your credit it maybe a good idea for you since you have no debt. But since you have no house what about parking. Leaving your ride outside while your oversea may not be a good idea..

good luck!

Personally I like to pay cash for cars if possible but to help your credit it maybe a good idea for you since you have no debt. But since you have no house what about parking. Leaving your ride outside while your oversea may not be a good idea..

good luck!
I live in a house with a two car garage, it just isn't my own. While I am overseas the car would be stored with my other vehicle, both under covers.

Look everywhere. I bought multiple cars off of Autotrader and sold there as well. I got my NSX from there too. Just because there is a potential of a scam doesn't mean you write off the service. You could be scammed anywhere. Just do your homework--check if dealer is reputable. If private sale, check out the car or even have a Prime guy help you out. Do a PPI at an Acura dealer.

There are scams, but usually you can figure them out. Unless you are the kind of guy that sends that your SSN# and Bank accounts to the people from Nigeria and the Ivory Coast.

Check out Autotrader, cars.com, Ebay, craigslist, Prime marketplace, etc. Best of luck.

Hi Guys,

I'm on the prowl too. One of you mentioned here that the best place to locate a car is thru the Market on this site. I must say that there is one I've written to on the list and haven't gotten a response and I've sent 3 emails. My guess is that it's sold.

Otherwise why do you guys feel that auto trader is a poor place to look. I sold a car thru them and it was a good one. Someone mentioned scams - is there something to watch out for or is there another place besides NSX prime Market that would also be a good spot to look.

Thanks for the advice and I look forward to hearing from you folks. I surely am excited about getting one. My preference is Silver or White post 97 and preferrably a 2001.

Tim
Atlanta

Id say come back, get settled in then begin ur hunt with a better budget worked out. Im military and I know how things can get with not knowing whats going to happen next. So look for one now...cuz u have a lot of time on ur hands ;) but dont commit to anything while still overseas. I spent 2 years in Turkey looking. And I been wanting one for over 10 years (just got really serious in the past 2 years or so) I been back since Aug of 08 and i JUST found the perfect car and bought it within a month. I kno how it feels to have that hostile fire, tax free, etc. money sitting around….but trust me when I tell you…there are perfect cars out there waiting on a good home. Youll get yours if you really want it. In the mean time, read up on here...tons of great guys with great info on these cars...learn them and ur love them more

Off topic, where u at in the AOR, what branch and rank? Thanks for ur service and stay safe over there!

Personally I do not care about having a removable top. I never even roll down my windows

sorry to hijack thread,

I could not imagine driving a car, especially a sports car on a beautiful day and not having the windows down. I have had my car for almost 5 years and I have never used the a/c unless it has rained on me.

on topic.

Check for maintenance records, definitely highly recommend doing a PPI or at least having the car put on a lift and looked at, especially underneath.

major services are crucial details for maintenance history.

a/c is preference, I do not use mine but highly recommend making sure it works very well bc it can be a very expensive issue to fix if neglected.

Perhaps add a poll or create another thread asking best place to purchase an nsx? I purchased mine on prime.

Last edited:
I could not imagine driving a car, especially a sports car on a beautiful day and not having the windows down. I have had my car for almost 5 years and I have never used the a/c unless it has rained on me.

I haven't had my NSX long enough to have many chances to roll down the windows. I will probably try it once I get the "fix-it thingies" installed so I'm not afraid that they're going to break on me.

When I said I never roll down the windows I meant in my other car. Being stuck in traffic with my windows down doesn't sound like much fun. I'd be much more likely to roll them down for a nice cruise down a country road.

One last question:

Of all the NSX's currently for sale on this board, this one is my favorite. Tastefully modified, low mileage, well maintained, the right color... is it worth the extra money over a low mileage '97+? I'd probably save more money in the long run in modifications.

What do you guys think?

Back