Ok so salvaged titles....

Alright people I own a 91 blk blk x and it has a salvaged/rebuilt title, It happened according to carfax it got a salvaged/rebuilt title in 94. It drives strait as can be it runs just like it should and it handles just like it should. I just found out that it for sure was a wrecked car but i have a few buddies in the body world and myself being REALLY picky on cars and it looks great i honestly cant tell what happened to the car except the drivers rear quarter panel i can see they didnt quit get all of the sanding marks out (really really hard to see only have seen it 2 times in the right light) I cant see anything else though like the frame or new pieces welded on it all looks factory and not like they did a good job type but like the only damage was the quarter panel...

So my real question here is i loved to DD, auto cross, and track so naturally i want to do some nice mods but am i just throwing away money? should i sell it and buy a "clean" x i dont plan on trying to make money on this or anything its just the what if kinda thing if i ever need to sell or etc...

I bought the car for 22k with 59k on the clock...

i want to do
-02 update w/R hood and spoiler
-R red look alike interior
-suspension
-gt one h/e
-and of coarse and fresh paint

what do you guys think? dont be dumb its obviously in great condition and your have extra money for parts? or your retard what are you thinking...

Only problem with buying salvage titled cars due to an accident is that if you do the '02 conversion it will make it that much harder to line up the panels. Even if they seem straight as an arrow right now.

I wouldn't do any major $$ mods, especially the 02+ front and interior unless you are going to keep it for a very long time. Items such as exhaust, suspension, and wheels are okay because you can always remove them and sell them seperate.

but wont it just increase the value of the car as i do that it just would always be less than a clean one but thats how it started off...?

Not one penny. It will be worth as much as someone wants to pay for a salvage titled car with or without the mods.

re-acquire...

Let's put it all down in numbers...

- 1991 NSX 5 spd. w/ 59k miles @ $22000

~ $10k (parts, installation labor, etc)

~ $750 (MovIt NSX-R style carpet + installation labor) Note: add $3000 for 'red' sports-seats

-suspension

~ $1500 (avg. coilover + installation)

-gt one h/e
~ $4000 (h/e + 02 sensor/cables + installation labor)

~ $7500 (high-quality repaint job)

As you wish to auto-X/track, I'd also consider NSX-R chassis bars ($250/set), and aftermarket F/R sway-bars ($250/set).

You can get some money back for your '91 OEM front-bumper, hood, headlights, rear-spoiler... perhaps total $1000 (?).

The aforementioned changes to your existing NSX will near $25,000. That will bring you total spent to buy your NSX and mod' it to $47,000. And you'll still will have a "rebuilt/salvage" title... :(

If some unforeseen reason, you have to sell your 'redone'/facelifted & repainted NSX... you will not get much if any premium at all for the '02+ update & repaint because of the "rebuilt/salvage" history; you will be able to of-course get some good money for your bolt-on mods' (ie. h/e, suspension, sway-bars, etc').

Just for reference: a clean-titled '02+ w/ reasonable miles can be acquired for $50,000 - $55,000. All it would require is the NSX-R style red carpet, h/e, chassis/sway-bars (if you so decide you want those), NSX-R hood & spoiler to make it as what you desire. With this newer, clean-titled NSX, a lot of your investment won't be wasted.

I don't see you having great difficulty selling your "rebuilt/salvage" '91 NSX for $20,000 - $22,500, assuming all the maint'/service is upto date and all the previous repairs were done w/o compromise and documented.

My advice... sell your current NSX, buy a higher-mileage, weathered/well-driven clean-titled '91-'94 NSX that maybe cosmetically avg./rough, but mechanically/structurally A-ok. Then, do your '02+ update/etc.

Good-luck! :cool:

Sorry, but I dont get it?

"bought the car for $22k with 59k on the clock..."

So, you thought you got the deal of the century, but instead
found out you paid the going rate for a salvage'd car instead?

Your $10k discount was due to the title.

I would probably try and get my money back out of it.
Just know your going to have to cough up more $$$
for a clean title car.

So, maybe this really is the one you want?

dont mean to jack your tread but i have a clean title nsx for sale with a fender bender for $19k with 84k on the clock interested? lol

ok lets take it easy on the guy :smile:

i would pass on the salvage title car to mod because you can throw 1000000$ in to the car and you still have a salvage title.

if you never going to sell the car than it does not matter how much your putting into it since your building the car for youself. :smile:

if you wanted to spend all that money, i would recommend getting a clear title nsx and go to town... or if you decide to keep your nsx forever, go for it.

your $ your car.

Happy motoring

Rob

Alright people I own a 91 blk blk x and it has a salvaged/rebuilt title, It happened according to carfax it got a salvaged/rebuilt title in 94. It drives strait as can be it runs just like it should and it handles just like it should. I just found out that it for sure was a wrecked car but i have a few buddies in the body world and myself being REALLY picky on cars and it looks great i honestly cant tell what happened to the car except the drivers rear quarter panel i can see they didnt quit get all of the sanding marks out (really really hard to see only have seen it 2 times in the right light) I cant see anything else though like the frame or new pieces welded on it all looks factory and not like they did a good job type but like the only damage was the quarter panel...

So my real question here is i loved to DD, auto cross, and track so naturally i want to do some nice mods but am i just throwing away money? should i sell it and buy a "clean" x i dont plan on trying to make money on this or anything its just the what if kinda thing if i ever need to sell or etc...

i want to do
-suspension
-gt one h/e

what do you guys think? dont be dumb its obviously in great condition and your have extra money for parts? or your retard what are you thinking...

In most cases, mod money is not re-couped when you sell your car unless you sell them separately regardless of if it was on a salvaged car or not.

So buying a new NSX would not get you more money for your mod parts.

As for salvaged cars themselves, I would stay away if you were thinking of purchasing one. But since you already have one and it seems fine, just enjoy it. If you want a newer one non salvaged, that is fine too.

cars get salvage titles for variety of reasons- sometimes it was just a theft recovery or vandalism, not necessarily an accident.

Means nothing....

1991 Nsx damaged in 1991....25k damage, would most likely have been repaired with a clean tittle.

Same car damaged in 2007..... 15k damage...written off, salvage title.

It's all about the price and documentation as to the extent of the damage. Mods if done at the right price, might make a run of the mill nsx just unique enough to attract the right buyer and net a higher price.

After 20 years in the car game I have to say I have never seen to many cars sale that much higher because of the MODs. Mods are something you do for your personal statement of who you are and what you like to drive. Look at the cars on bJ????
Salvaged with pic & documentation of the damage and the repairs that where done, the alignment records and so on. PiC, PIC and more PIC. if you don’t have any of this a salvaged car is hard to work with. But if you do have it I have seen several high end cars sale for no less than 5K under book, It really depends on the damage. Its said that there is only one category SALVAGED here in CA.

I can tell you as a fact that there are several cars and company that will salvage a car by owners request, why would that be done? think about it, some guys wont to have there cars as garage queens only to see daylight for a car show or the pass it on to there kids, My Porsche friends are some of the biggest show and no go nuts out there, one ding and all hell brakes loss. So imagine what happens with there cars if it gets backed into or was stolen and has been joy ridden in thay don’t wont it back and ask for it to be salvaged. If you really think this dose not happen you are wrong.

Bottom line for this guy IMHO do the mods with the car you have you got it at a good price. Mods DO NOT pay back even if you sale the parts separate there still used parts.
Lesson not all salvaged cars are the same. But with no paper work or pic, its a hard sale to any future buyer.

On a side note I very much like to buy and sell savaged cars BUT I know what I am looking at and I do 80% of the work myself. if you have no idea about the inter working of a car be aware, even if you have a good shop look at it problems can still show up later.
Always take pic with any damage on your cars you will be happy you did later down the line.

many salvage,repairable,rebuildable,vehicles are damaged less than ones with clean titles because of many different reasons ex. if a stolen car in florida is not recovred with in 30 days it is branded rebuildable. docementation is the key. heeltoe is very knowledgable. i find that the people who are not experienced in salvage ,i like the word repairable used in a few states, are the ones who put down repairables.

Last edited:
In most cases, mod money is not re-couped when you sell your car unless you sell them separately regardless of if it was on a salvaged car or not.
Yup. So the decision on whether to mod the car should really be separate from the decision on whether to sell the car and buy a clean one. If you like the car, keep it; if you're not happy with it, sell it and by another. Whichever car you plan to keep (at least for a while), if you want mods on it, and you don't plan on recouping that expenditure (which you shouldn't), then go ahead and buy and install whatever ones you want.

many salvage,repairable,rebuildable,vehicles are damaged less than ones with clean titles because of many different reasons ex. if a stolen car in florida is not recovred with in 30 days it is branded rebuildable. docementation is the key. heeltoe is very knowledgable. i find that the people who are not experienced in salvage ,i like the word repairable used in a few states, are the ones who put down repairables.

Your right... I have a NSX that was deemed salvage because it disappeared..Never stolen officially but it was gone for 5 months and finally deemed stolen. After a family dispute finally ended the car was found in a storage facility under a cover safe and sound...the car is all original and NEVER crashed but it had a salvaged title..So when i hear the term "Salvage" it means more than a crashed car that is unrepairable

Last edited:

i want to do
-suspension
-gt one h/e

the point is that how long have u owned the car. how many yrs u gonna keep it. if u just bought the car, dont mod it. if u have owned the car for like 2 yrs and 0 problem, mods will be fine. if u really need to mod it ,LOL, no one can prevent u to do it.

it doesn't matter which nsx u mod, value staying the same. if your car has no major problems, u dont need to sell it and buy another one.

or u can sell ur current car, buy a 02-03 one.

Last edited:
Means nothing....

1991 Nsx damaged in 1991....25k damage, would most likely have been repaired with a clean tittle.

Same car damaged in 2007..... 15k damage...written off, salvage title.

It's all about the price and documentation as to the extent of the damage. Mods if done at the right price, might make a run of the mill nsx just unique enough to attract the right buyer and net a higher price.

same thing I was thinking. It must have been a lot of damage to salvage the title on a 3 year old car.

front got damaged in 2007 ?
if it's front end damage, 15k wont be a big damage. some serious front end damage will total the car. u can check a 02 silver nsx on ebay and prime. it had serious damage. take a look.

Back