OK, give some advice about a 91 I am looking at.

Tomorrow I am driving a couple of hours to look at a Black/Black 91 5-speed with 24,800 miles on it (not in snap ring range). I have been looking at later models (a 96-T and a 00-T) but I am thinking I might like to save some $$ for a few mods and try this car, upgrading to a later model if the bug hits. Here is my problem: The seller disclosed (and the Carfax shows) it was in an accident in 97. It was apparently minor. The seller is the 2nd owner, but he has a copy of the police report where the original owner had the accident. It basically says a 70+ year old lady in a 90 mustang failed to yield right of way and made contact with the left quarter on the NSX driven by the original owner (a 60+ year old male). The officer on the scene estimated $500 damage to the mustang, and $1000 to the NSX (which I am certain is way off the mark, because a small ding could be $1000 on the NSX and it is unlikely the officer knew this). The car was repaired and the only sign of the damage is the left rear wheel has a very small mark. It was not changed, and I can not even see the mark in the photos of the car. The owner wants $30,500 for the car, which seems fair, but does the accident mean I should look for something, and is this price fair considering the accident history. I know it would be high had the car had a major collision or been salvaged, but the title is clear, and the police report seems to make the incident seem minor. Thanks for taking the time to read this, and for your opinions/insights.

Attachments

• 46.jpg
    46.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 404
First off I would call and make an appointment at the closest Acura Dealership to have a full inspection done. The price seems fair due to the low miles and accident...but if it was me just knowing it was in one I would have to pass on it. Also is there any paper work on it where it was serviced etc...What it comes down to is it's your money if you like the car and it checks out ok then buy it.

Steven 91 Blk/Ivory

It depends on how you are with accidents. I personally don't like owning a car that's been in an accident, regardless of how small. I can't stand repainted panels.

Then again if everything checks out with the inspection, service history, and accident repair then it should be ok to buy.

However, I've seen other early model NSXs going for around the same price, but they have a little more mileage with no paint/body work.

One thing I've learned on here is that even if the car has a little more miles than desired, it is still as reliable as one with a lot less mileage (considering service is up to date, etc.)

Ok, thank you for all of your input. I have seen the car and driven it today. It has fairly minor rock chips on the front end in a few spots (good for the year/mileage), and the left rear wheel is scratched, but not gouged (it could be refinished to make it like new). The paint work on the left rear qtr. seems to be well done and not evident unless you are really looking for signs of it. It has the correct Yoko's on it, which to me means the owner is not a cheapskate. The driver's seat bolster has very minor wear (not needing attention). It drives out great, with the only questionable item being a fairly high pedal clutch engagement. This could be what? Needing to be bled, or possible clutch wear?
Now for the negatives:
Timing belt/water pump have not been replaced and although miles are low, the age of it made me nervous just to test drive it.
It sounds like the valves need adjustment. It has not had the 30K service from what I could tell.
The engine hatch struts need replacment (a very minor item, but I was looking for all the normal items).
The story on the car is this: First owner (male in his mid-60's) buys it for his wife as a daily driver. A year or so later they retire to Florida, and the car is driven there daily for a time. Then the wife gets into horses and starts driving their Suburban mostly, and the car gets only occasional use. She was running errands the day of the accident. Car was repaired in Florida and they continued to own and drive the car until last year when they sold it to the current owner. He has only put about 1500 miles on it, and his wife wants to spend the money he has tied up in the car on their home. He was very patient and we spent about 2 hours looking at/driving/discussing the car. He indiacted he would be flexible on the price due to the service needs. What do you guys think I should offer if I decide this is the car.
Thanks.

Personally, I think that $30,500 is more than fair for the car. If I were in the market for another NSX, I'd buy it if it checked out okay at the Acura dealership.

So, offer the owner whatever you think is fair, but it looks like a fairly attractive price to begin with. JMO.

What about the transmission? Did you check the tranny number for snap ring range? Assuming that is okay, take the sale price and deduct the cost for 30k service plus the timing belt/water pump and see if he bites. Sounds like you found a nice car.

The engine hatch struts is an easy fix 100 bucks for all four and there good as new.

Fairly high pedal is normal, not to much to worry about.

Timing belt/water pump you should have done.
Cost aprox 1200 to 1500. Try to get it taken off the price.

[It sounds like the valves need adjustment . ]
Sound is normal you can get it adjusted when you get the timing belt done for a few hundred extra.

[Left rear wheel is scratched.]
Just get a new set of rims, This should be your first mod.
If you like the stock rims I have a clean set that I can give you.

The only big question is the snap ring.

If your happy with the accident history, and can get a couple grand knocked off for the above services.
You should do well. IMO
Good luck
Brian

I checked and the car is not in snap ring range. I appreciate the input about the clutch, as that was a concern. In speaking with the seller, he seems pretty motivated (by his wife-2nd child on the way and need to do some remodeling/addition to their home before the little one arrives). He seemed to indicate there was room to move on the deal. At his asking price, I am tempted to throw in another $6-8K and get a 95-96 T with 40-45K miles on it, but if I can get him to drop down to a great deal I think I may buy it. Even if I decide in a few months that I really want a T, I shouldn't get hurt too bad (knock on wood). I hope if I buy it the T-belt doesn't break on the 100 mile drive home! With my luck that will happen right after the a/c dumps all the freon out under the dash from the evaporator blowing! :rolleyes:

Hey, I sent this guy a price just to see what he would take. He said $29,500.00 was his lowest. Offer him that and you will have plenty of cash to take care of the maint, issues..

You sent what guy a price??? Please explain. As I did not post the email address of the seller, I am curious as to who you sent the email to. I hope it was not the actual seller of this car, because if he thinks there is another interested party, he may not be as flexible on the price.:mad:

The guy with the car your looking at, Tripp Davis. I saw the car on Autotrader.com and sent him an email. I offered him $28k and he replied with $29.5k. Go for the car if you want it, that is a good price.

I would not reccommend having the service done in another area. What happens if they messed something up and you already got the car home? Nobody locally would cover you and you will have to pay for the same thing a second time. Find out how much the services are locally and work that into the offer. I know someone that found out the hard way $$$ after having the services repeated when the car arrived.

I also spoke to Mr. Davis about a month ago I was interested in the car...He seemed like a nice guy and wants to get rid of the car..it seems like a good deal if you can get it at $29,500 I would jump on it and I wouldn't worry about the 100 mile ride.. it would have been 200 for me from his place in South Carolina to mine in Atlanta...the one I just bought needed a belt replacement and I had to drive it 290 miles from Kentucky no problems..

Regarding the timing belt and driving it 100 miles I would not worry about it. I drove my car 1600 miles home and it had 86,000 miles on the car. The timing belt issue has been discussed many times here. Some would not go a day over 6years or 90,000 miles others don't worry about the years and only look at the miles. Buy it and be happy, you will not look back.

Ok , I have made a deal for the car I think. We are going to meet at the local Acura Dealer and have them do another inspection (since I was not in the picture when he last had it checked, and I want to be there). I am going to pull the left rear fenderwell lining to inspect the repair of the fender from the inside, and also just give the underbody a looking over. If it all checks out I will sign the check over and join the club! I will let you know how it all turns out. Thanks to everyone who has posted and given advice.

Back