Oil for old style Whipple SC

Royal Purple is what Shad used in mine.

Since when?

When I was there I never did see RP at his place. Mostly Motul.

BTW, I contacted Amsoil and they said that a great many customers are using their race 20w50 oil which really is a 50w but it meets 20w requirements.

Since when?

BTW, I contacted Amsoil and they said that a great many customers are using their race 20w50 oil which really is a 50w but it meets 20w requirements.

Cant recall exactly when I had the CTSC put in. Less than 2 years ago. Anyway I talked to Shad today and he recommended Motul, Redline and Royal Purple.

I just changed the fluid about an hour ago. here is a pic of my method of getting the oil out and another pic of how much came out. I'm sure I didn't get everything but probably enough.

Attachments

• DSC05241.jpg
    DSC05241.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 69
  • DSC05242.JPG
    DSC05242.JPG
    93.8 KB · Views: 66
I use this, a battery filler.
I empty it into a measuring cup.
21-battery_filler-l.jpg

I use this to refill so as not to overfill. (note graduations)
67225_112808l_shub.jpg

Both are available from ACE hardware.

BTW I use Mobil one V-Twin 20w50 in my CT Autorotor.
Takes only 5 minutes so I change the SC oil about every 1000-1500 miles.

The installation instructions for the CTSC Whipple states to use 10w40synthetic and mentioned Redline as a option..
The installation instructions for the CT Autorotor states: 20w50

I have copies of the installation manual of both the Whipple and the Autorotor in.pdf if someone really needs either. Anytime I post that, I get flooded with requests so please, only if you have a SC and really need the info. I got them from the old Comptech site where they at one time had a download area for all their manuals.

Last edited:
Now that I have been running the Royal Purple for a couple weeks, I can't really say it is much quieter or really made much difference at all. oh well.

So what is the consensus on this for the old whipple? I contacted Royal purple since i been using that in the engine for 6 years and told them i thought it listed 10w40. Here is what they told me.

"I would stick with the XPR, Max Cycle, and HPS 10W-40 oils, in that preferred order. All will work great, but the tiered pricing of these oils does accurately reflect the performance and protection levels offered by these oils. For absolute best performance and protection, I would likely go with XPR 5W-30 as it offers more than enough protection to drop a viscosity grade, and the lighter oil will allow more efficient operation of the supercharger. If you choose against the XPR, Max Cycle 10W-40, then HPS 10W-40."

Btw... You should see what my dad gave me at thanksgiving to remove the oil from the sc.

Mike

Since when?

Talked with Shad recently when servicing my old whipple. Ready? He sugested Royal Purple 50w oil. Yes, I said 50w

Interesting. Royal Purple is what Shad put in mine when he installed it about 2 years ago.

For what it is worth, the installation manuals say...

Whipple kit (1999*): "synthetic 5W-50 oil; we recommend Castrol Syntec"
Whipple kit (2004*): "high quality 10W40 synthetic motor oil"
Autorotor kit (2006*): "high quality 20W50 synthetic motor oil"

*Year denotes when manual was printed/obtained, I think the Whipple blower unit itself was unchanged for the duration it was used.

I have a "care and feeding" type document for the CTSC around here somewhere. I'll update the above if/when I find.

References:
1999 manual I'm holding in my hand.
2004/2006 manuals from http://mosquitomagnet.hostoi.com/ctsc/

Last edited:
Back