Oil for old style Whipple SC

Guys,

What type of oil is suitable for the old style Whipple SC?

Can SC oil for Mk1 New MINI Copper S from BMW do?
Can SC Oil from Jaguar do?

What about normal engine oil like Synthetic 10-40W do?

What damage will the SC acquire if the wrong oil is given...is damage only for long term use or will it cause problem if temporarily given for say 1-2 weeks?

Cheers for any helpful advice.

SS

Contact Shad from Drining Ambition.

On the Autorotor the CT manual says standard 20/50 engine oil is recommended. I would use GM or Ford Supercharger oil if it was me.

Jeeps,

So there is no consensus......or is it that it doesn't matter as long as it is a good oil?

What's the operating temperature for the Whipple SC??

The ABEC3 C3 bearings are recommended over ABEC0 0r C1 bearings but I gather the C3 bearings are just 'looser' fit compare to C0 or C1 so that the bearings can expand when hot and will not seize....Is this correct?...Is this the reason for the Whipple snout rattling??

SS

Yesterday I changed the oil in my Whipple from who-knows-what to 10W-40 Royal Purple Synthetic. The clunking at idle decreased quite a bit (even my wife noticed) at the cost of a little more supercharger whine. Sounds cool. Went for a couple of test runs and so far so good.

I tried to change mine today but I couldn't get the top Allan bolt off. any advice on how to remove it? I don't wanna pry and accidentally strip the bolt.

I tried to change mine today but I couldn't get the top Allan bolt off. any advice on how to remove it? I don't wanna pry and accidentally strip the bolt.

me 2.. on too tight.. i don't want to strip the allen bolt.. i dont want to heat it up either.. i tried opening it after a long drive thinking the heat would loosen it up a little bit.. no go. i just want to check the level..

Mine's the fat slotted type and was no big deal to remove. Maybe hit it with a little WD-40 then a butterfly impact tool using the lightest setting.

Impact gun and push down hard to not strip it. I recomend gm supercharger oil. It will make it quuet, esp if you have the older model like i did. Otherwise you could run a 10-40 or 20-50, but the gm stuff is specifically for sc's, so you cant go wrong

I would try contact Kenne Bell and see what they have to say. They are the largest distributor in the US for the Lysholm/Autorotor/Whipple.

It says right on my whipple 5w-50. Nobody seems to run that. Any reason why?

Just not too fond of royal purple brand oil. I spoke to a few tuner and a few car owners and they all have bad experienced with RP.

just my .02

Otherwise use 5w50 in S/C setup

Yesterday I changed the oil in my Whipple from who-knows-what to 10W-40 Royal Purple Synthetic. The clunking at idle decreased quite a bit (even my wife noticed) at the cost of a little more supercharger whine. Sounds cool. Went for a couple of test runs and so far so good.

I have Redline in mine. I believe it was recommended by Shad, but I could be wrong.

Speaking of which.. how often are you supposed to change it? I have it checked yearly and it still looks fine.. but it's been a few years.

I was told by PSE Superchargers to change it every 30k and to only use GM supercharger oil. They have been around over 20 years and rebuild all superchargers. I trust them since thats all they do and Nate at Comptech sent me there

Just spoke to Shad. He said 20w-50 and he did not recommend using supercharger oil from Ford or GM as it is designed for Eaton Style blowers vs the helical in the CTSC.

So that is what I will be doing.

Thanks. Did he recommend any specific brands?

He said the best would be Motul 20w60, but Royal Purple 20w50 or Redline would be good also.

Also. I should add he said those were good for Florida. So it might be different for somewhere else.

Last edited:
Back