Officially Official

No more it's just rumor kids and we can drop the Unicorn part of second generation NSX

http://www.asahi.com/english/TKY201102060128.html

"Honda Motor Co. officially announced its plan to develop a high-performance sports car to serve as a successor to the now-defunct NSX.

President Takanobu Ito confirmed earlier reports about the car at a press conference held Friday to highlight Honda's 2011 motor sports activities.

The new model will be based on the 3.4-liter HSV-010GT race car. Honda runs the car on the Super GT auto racing circuit.

Ito said he wanted to commercialize the HSV because other automakers participate in the competition with racing versions based on cars sold on the market.

"I think Honda should respect the history of the Super GT competition (as a stock-car race)," Ito said.

Ito also indicated Honda may develop a low-priced small sports car.

"There are two types of sports cars--affordable and high-performance. I hope we will be able to market both," he said.

EPSON%20HSV-010%20GT%20small.jpg

Honda-HSV-010-GT-3.jpg

hsv-010_gt_sd_27.jpg

VA+-+NO+THANKS+BOXF%2B.jpg

Fugly shoe.

Let's get back to the unicorn pics. These multiple threads link partial reports and most omit that Honda is looking at beginning a "feasibility study for a new sports car" with no timetable or details actually being given. Other reports indicate that Ito said "no" when asked if they were developing a road version of the HSV-010 GT "but added" that there is "a demand for that type of car that we must answer".

More unicorns please..........

What does he mean by "defunct"??

Let's get back to the unicorn pics. These multiple threads link partial reports and most omit that Honda is looking at beginning a "feasibility study for a new sports car" with no timetable or details actually being given. Other reports indicate that Ito said "no" when asked if they were developing a road version of the HSV-010 GT "but added" that there is "a demand for that type of car that we must answer".

ok you asked....

Attachments

• unicorn.jpg
    unicorn.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 152

My bad chief where's that link and I'll post on crèche.net that this is BS

Thanks C/D is posting something similar but these statements don't make sense.

"When asked whether Honda would make a road-going version of the HSV-010 GT to comply with the spirit of Super GT rules, Ito said no, but added, "There is clearly a demand for that type of car that we must answer."

First Ito says No then yes we have to answer the demand for this type of? If Hondas not going to make it then why turn around and say we must answer the demand for this type of car??

Here's the C/D blog link.
http://blog.caranddriver.com/dont-call-it-nsx-acura-confirms-sports-car-plan/

They mention what Acura told them last summer but not what Acura told them last fall

"Details were far sketchier regarding additional members of the Acura lineup. We were told that Acura will soon introduce something unconventional sometime around the launch of the new flagship sedan. Will it be sporty? Probably. Will it be called NSX? Who knows. Will it be the front-engine supercar we saw lapping the Nürburgring a couple of years ago? No. Although that car was all but finished, according to Acura insiders, it was cancelled—not even shelved—due to Honda’s concerns that it might be crass to offer a $150K–$175K sports car in the face of worldwide economic hardship. However, much of the technology developed for that car will appear in the new car. Whatever it’s called."

http://blog.caranddriver.com/acura-...ve-may-add-high-end-sporty-vehicle-to-lineup/

I was cool with that until Ito said we must answer the call for the demand for the HSV.

Then he says this

"Ito said he wanted to commercialize the HSV because other automakers participate in the competition with racing versions based on cars sold on the market.

"I think Honda should respect the history of the Super GT competition (as a stock-car race)," Ito said.

Ito also indicated Honda may develop a low-priced small sports car.

"There are two types of sports cars--affordable and high-performance. I hope we will be able to market both," he said."

So are the Japanese writers lying about direct translation and the Americans telling the truth of what they heard from an Acura exec???

I mean seriously these are direct contradictions.

Edit

Ok RSO after reading your article again it makes sense if you take into account the two sportscars. The "new car" mentioned in your article that doesn't have a time frame doesn't sound like the hybrid supercar that's already "under evaluation". It's also translated from this article that when asked Ito says "I have something in mind"

"Today was the presentation of a Tokyo sports Honda for 2011, including the Super GT is of course a prominent place since the manufacturer officially committed. President Takanobu Ito (stakeholder, remember, the first draft as head NSX chassis) was the presentation itself, as is customary, and has not escaped the famous question. But instead of evacuating the subject, as usual, his answer was surprising: "I have something in mind." Although not a definitive yes and frank, this is a clear change of attitude vis-à-vis past denials."

Sounds like that again would be the hybrid supercar.

Last edited:
Damn you guys are quick!! I was just going to post the insideline link!!!

Sounds like that again would be the hybrid supercar.

Great idea. I mean the CR-Z is doing so well. I mean, if nobody will buy a 20K hybrid "sports car" than I am sure people will want to spend $150K on one.

Great idea. I mean the CR-Z is doing so well. I mean, if nobody will buy a 20K hybrid "sports car" than I am sure people will want to spend $150K on one.

Well the CRZ isn't doing well "here" it's car of the year and selling well beyond expectations in Japan. Plus we don't know that $150k will be the selling price of the hybrid car , but the Porsche 918 will probably cost around that and Porsche is going ahead with production.

I'll say again that after the insideline article that RSO supplied and the C/D blog where they talked to a "unnamed" Acura official Honda seems to really be trying to downplay and change what Ito san said to the Japanese reporters. Maybe Ito said too much. We know how Honda loves it's secrecy.

Well the CRZ isn't doing well "here" it's car of the year and selling well beyond expectations in Japan. Plus we don't know that $150k will be the selling price of the hybrid car , but the Porsche 918 will probably cost around that and Porsche is going ahead with production.

The Porsche 918 is amazing.... and if Honda made one like that I would be all over it.... however, the rumored price on that car is north of $500K.

Well I for one am encouraged that something will happen. I mean obviously the economy isn't so bad that Porsche, now under Volkwagon, got the ok to develop the 918 and had the 918RS at an auto show. So perhaps Japan is having to reevaluate it's position. Problem for them is that the longer they wait the more complex their posture becomes to "keep up with the Jones' "

Honda has already shown a picture of this 2 seater sprots car that is a hybrid. The 918 is a hybrid and they're are racing a hybrid. Auidi is also talking about hybrids. Something for everyone.

The only thing that would make me mad about this is to see them go to a front engine all wheel drive car and abandon the mid engined premiss enitirely. That would just be stupid. Hell even Porsche made the boxster and Cayman. Matter of fact the new DFI Cayman right now is a damn good alternative to the NSX.

It just seems that Honda/Acura just keeps chasing their tale. They need to get it together.

On the note of the 918 - anyone remember how much the Carrera GT cost????? It was over 400k. So I would think that the 918 might fit into that kind of category and not down in the rank and file of the ordinary line. Even though their ordinary line is pretty damn amazing.

All we can do is what we've been doing since 05 - sit and wait and hope! Let's hope Honda makes all this waiting worth it.

Honda is not acting in a honorable way.

These word games are misleading and must be in biting reaction to successful Korean competitors (Hyundai & Kia) market gains (sales) and respect (from the motoring press) by simply offering more exciting products, to a diversity of market segments. This is something Honda has NOT been able to achieve.

Additionally, the overall failure (in my opinion) of Acura (NSX excepted, of course!), as a brand, to take on Lexus or even Infiniti ( and increasingly the 2 Koreans) highlights the lack of even basic understanding of an upmarket position and product requirement.

Size matters. In this sense Honda's continued insistence to NOT have a V8 engine + rigidity in staying mid size and not go full size will ALWAYS limit the Acura brand's uppermost potential (I ask myself how can the 2 Koreans go large successfully and Honda not?).

Of course, there must be cost/engineering concerns/challenges that preclude this from happening at Honda, but maybe a mid/long term solution could be to talk to BMW (closest to Honda in spirit) or alternately (Mercedes, GM or Ford) in which development costs could be shared. Honda's history of fierce independence may be threatening the company's overall future and the result has been the insipid lineup we have now (at both Honda and Acura).

Honda desperately needs a Halo model NOW, not 2 years from now. So I say un-cancel the cancelled project, tweak it over the next 3 months, and get the basic version onto the market within six months. They can always try to do a Hybrid version later.

I love my Hondas (S2000 and Jazz/Fit) and my Acura (NSX) and really want to hear some exciting REAL news, with timetables, specifications and prices.

I find myself increasingly drawn to flirting with the darkside GTR (but with insane dealer markups, pushes that car's retail price to almost $115K here, which I won't do knowing that the same car can be found for $85K stateside). I really don't want to go the Corvette Z06 route either, so come on Honda, GET WITH IT, AND NOW!

Wow! I have been waiting a very f*king long time for this.

Now I can scratch my plans to get a GT-R! ;)

Well from what I'm hearing it's supposed to have better than M3 performance but look and be executed more along the lines of the Maserati Gran Turismo or more batmobileish supposedly.

Definitely not a GTR fighter. Acura believes that a luxury coup is what they need regardless of people/media continues to tell them:confused:

Well from what I'm hearing it's supposed to have better than M3 performance but look and be executed more along the lines of the Maserati Gran Turismo or more batmobileish supposedly.

Definitely not a GTR fighter. Acura believes that a luxury coup is what they need regardless of people/media continues to tell them:confused:

I almost fell into the GTR trap myself. Its fast, no question about it.. I drove one about a year ago and WOW... but there is so much more than speed. Class is something that we all want. Hell, for 45K these days instead of buying an NA2 used you can buy some real speed. Why did we get the NSX?

Im afraid the real answer is the 5.2L R8. Its mid engine, it has class, its not common...

So after a year of staring at the GTR, its would seem the R8 is the better choice. Its more refined, exotic, precise... and throw in the fact that for 1,000 dollars you get 4-5 years of ALL maintenance included... HOLLY SH+t!

The nice thing about the GTR... its a family car (has a back seat!) so we can take the baby with us. :biggrin:

Latest from TOV

The latest on the super sportscar
Date: February 14, 2011 09:14
Submitted by: Jeff
Source: TOV News
Credibility Rating: Not Specified

Upon my arrival in Chicago last week, my primary mission (apart from checking out the refreshed 2012 TL) was to try to find out as much as I could about Honda President Takanobu Ito's reported confirmation that development of an "NSX successor" had been restarted. After speaking with Honda spokesman Jun Odajima (Manager, Public Relations/Corporate Affairs), there are some points to clarify. It was explained to me that there was apparently some misunderstanding concerning what Ito said, and according to Odajima, these key points are true:

• There was no official announcement by Honda that the development of the high performance super sportscar had resumed, but when questioned by the media, Takanobu Ito indicated that development of a high performance super sportscar model had in fact resumed. Odajima has confirmed that this is correct.
  • We were told by Odajima that this new vehicle will not be based upon the existing HSV-010 race car, as has been reported. The HSV-010 is based upon the road car that WAS going to be the NSX Successor, so it seems that the reports of "restarting the abandoned project" are inaccurate.
  • The existing HSV-010 will continue to campaign in SuperGT. Honda hopes to develop a new SuperGT car based upon the new super sportscar, but there is no formal plan or timetable in place for if or when that will happen. Odajima's statement: "Although Mr. Ito is hoping that we would be able race the car in the future, we are not sure of how and when that would happen."
  • Contrary to the many references in the media as the "Next NSX", the official stance in the USA is that the new super sportscar should not be considered as a successor to the NSX.
Many in the media have already labeled this vehicle as the "next NSX", but since this news broke a few weeks ago, American Honda spokesmen have repeatedly told me that it should not be considered the "NSX successor". Odajima will only confirm that the car will be a "super sportscar" but he told us "I can't share anything else about the positioning at this moment."

All we can do is what we've been doing since 05 - sit and wait and hope! Let's hope Honda makes all this waiting worth it.

This ^ I have heard way too many "Honda is going to..." and "Honda isn't going to..." rumors to really get excited until I can PHYSICALLY see the car either in SEMA or at my local Honda/Acura dealer.

Yay! Honda will make a new super sportscar!

If this is true then...

1. Performance will most likely match or exceed its japanese rivals, the GTR and the LF-A. Anything else would be pointless.

2. They will use the HSV V10 engine. It new and ready to go(?) and it was newly developed for this exact purpose. The developing costs for a new (high performance-) engine are huge. Scrapping it and building something new would be insane.

3. This is gonna rock!:biggrin:

Back