Official: 2006 Chevrolet Corvette Z06: $65,800

Yes, it is official.

Wow that's pretty cheap. super cheap!!! very cheap!!! so cheap!!! cheap cheap cheap!!! :eek:

I think i'll pick one of these up in two years :smile:. Don't really trust first year cars. Too many bugs if not anything serious.

With options it is closer to $73K. Still, that is one incredible car! There may be a used one in my future in a few years.

Timpo said:
Yes, it is official.

Wow that's pretty cheap. super cheap!!! very cheap!!! so cheap!!! cheap cheap cheap!!! :eek:
Is that really THAT cheap for a Z06 with questionable material and build quality? A MB E55 is about $80k. I drove the C6 and just cringed with its flimsy build. Granted, the Z06 is powerful but $66k is not that cheap for it.
Steve

I can't imagine it being much slower even with an extra 50 lbs of options.

Dave Hardy said:
The stripper looks to be the one to get.

Only if you like long nights, crazy emotional drama, and buying lots of cocaine.

But, seriously, pushing $70,000 on a Vette isn't exactly so much bang for the buck anymore. It's going to be the same functional car, with a larger engine. That means, still GM plastic, same interior, same quality issues. At $45,000, this was tolerable. We're talking potentially $25,000 more. This is a huge jump in price. I'd far rather have one of Porsche's offerings in this price point, or a variety of other vehicles. Vettes are cool and all that, but they have $45,000 vehicle cachet and will continue to.

whiteNSXs said:
Is that really THAT cheap for a Z06 with questionable material and build quality? A MB E55 is about $80k. I drove the C6 and just cringed with its flimsy build. Granted, the Z06 is powerful but $66k is not that cheap for it.
Steve
actually, you're right...if I had enough money to spend Z06, I'd rather have a Porsche Boxster S with some mods.

I think Chevy is pricing themselves right out of their core market. That is a bad car though. 500hp.....whew I think it runs in the 11's 1/4 mile stock. I might consider getting one for an everyday car.

whiteNSXs said:
Steve
i agree with steve, it may be powerful, but ya it is built flimsy, and how are other performance aspects of the car such as suspension.

Sorry guys, I disagree. For the power and performance, it's pretty inexpensive. Titanium rods, Magnesium roof - there's a lot of extras for the money.

The new Z06 is a pretty serious car, completely different beast from the regular vette. As most NSX lovers can appreciate aluminum chassis and lots of titanium and other lightweight materials, not to mention enough hp that you could get yourself in trouble very quickly. The only problem with the whole package is that it is built by chevy. :frown:

Did you guys really did study the car, yeah, being a proud nsx owner, I must "hate" Corvette, especially the Z0-6... But the new C6 Z0-6 is sweet, a lot of efforts had been put into this generation of the corvette. Even at $70k, it's a bargain that it will compete with the best of the sports cars: ie: F430, 360 Stradale, GT3...

The built quality and reliability could be a problem, but saving $40-100k for the same performance?? Did I mention the Z0-6 hatch back is sexy??

Fully optioned out it is also creeping up to M5 territory. I know it is totally different cars, but an M5 is one heck of a car as well. At $70K+ I might rather get a one year old M5 or maybe one year old M6 instead. When you could get C5 ZO6's for $50-$55K, that was a bargin. At $70K, still good bang for the buck, but not so much a bargin anymore.

nuccaJB said:
The new Z06 is a pretty serious car, completely different beast from the regular vette. As most NSX lovers can appreciate aluminum chassis and lots of titanium and other lightweight materials, not to mention enough hp that you could get yourself in trouble very quickly. The only problem with the whole package is that it is built by chevy. :frown:

I am with you. I think it is an amazing machine. I don't think the fact that it is built by chevy is a problem if they do it right.

NSXDreamer2 said:
Did you guys really did study the car, yeah, being a proud nsx owner, I must "hate" Corvette, especially the Z0-6... But the new C6 Z0-6 is sweet, a lot of efforts had been put into this generation of the corvette. Even at $70k, it's a bargain that it will compete with the best of the sports cars: ie: F430, 360 Stradale, GT3...

The built quality and reliability could be a problem, but saving $40-100k for the same performance?? Did I mention the Z0-6 hatch back is sexy??
To me a "bargain" should be something that is so underpriced that one will feel lost out if one does not jump in. That $23k one owner 1991 NSX sold recently was a bargain. a $6k CTSC will be a bargain. So Z06 is a "bargain"?
Everyone should ask oneself this question now. If you really have $70,000 in your pocket to buy yourself a performance car to keep for a few years. Is $70,000 for this Vette REALLY such a "bargain" for you to jump in to buy it as your top choice among other potent performers? I think $70,000 is actually just fair for what it is. I bet a $70k Mustang will kill a $70k Vette.
For myself, $70,000 in my pocket will not make me feel at all compelled to even glance at that Z06. I would probably look at a slightly used E55 hands down.
Steve

0-60 in 3.7 while in FIRST gear!!!! :eek: This car will be hard to beat under $100K stock for stock. Look at the build materials. Honda take notes!

Chevy Announces Corvette Z06 0-60 MPH Time and Base Price

The ultimate Corvette—the 2006 Corvette Z06—is posting numbers at the track and on the window sticker that will get attention. Chevrolet has announced that the fastest Corvette ever—the 505-horsepower Corvette Z06—will achieve 0-60 mph in 3.7 seconds while still in first gear, and pricing will start at $65,800, including destination and freight charges.

“Corvette is a global icon for world-class sports car performance at an incredible value, and offering the fastest production Corvette ever at this price is another testament to that reputation,” said Ed Peper, Chevrolet general manager. “When you compare the Corvette Z06 performance stats to other supercars, you see numerous examples where you’re getting better performance with Corvette for one-third the sticker price of the competition.”

Developed alongside the Corvette C6.R race car, the Corvette Z06 uses advanced lightweight materials typically found only in the most exotic supercars. Use of weight-saving materials such as carbon fiber, aluminum, titanium and magnesium give the 3,132-pound car a highly competitive weight-to-power ratio of 6.2 pounds per horsepower.

“The new Corvette Z06 is the dividend from competing so successfully in endurance racing,” said Dave Hill, Corvette’s chief engineer. “It combines the strong attributes of the new, sixth-generation Corvette with the spirit, technology and know-how from the race program to form an American supercar with outstanding credentials.” The highly anticipated Corvette Z06, which will be available in the fourth quarter of 2005, completes the sixth-generation portfolio, which also includes the 400-hp Corvette coupe and convertible.

Previous Corvette Z06 models, from the original 1963 model to the 2001-04 editions, incorporated suspension and engine upgrades that complemented existing Corvette systems. The 2006 Corvette Z06 is more differentiated from the standard Corvette than any other Z06 in history with every design element serving a performance function. Corvette Z06 features include:

• LS7 7.0-liter/427-cubic-inch Gen IV V-8 engine with lightweight reciprocating components

• 505 horsepower (373 kw) @ 6300 rpm

• 470 lb.-ft. of torque (657 Nm) @ 4800 rpm

• 6-speed manual transmission

• 7000 rpm redline

• Aluminum body structure with one-piece hydroformed perimeter rails frame and magnesium engine cradle

• Carbon-fiber composite front fenders, front wheelhouses and floors

• Dry-sump engine lubrication system

• Hand-built engine at GM’s new Performance Build Center

• Unique design styling that includes a larger grille, cold-air scoop and lower air splitter, wide-body front and rear fenders and a taller rear spoiler

• Engine, transmission and differential oil coolers and steering cooler

For all its race-inspired functionality, the Corvette Z06 also is designed to be refined as a daily driver with a sophisticated and comfortable interior and generous cargo volume. The Z06 will be offered in Machine Silver Metallic, Victory Red, Daytona Sunset Orange, Le Mans Blue Metallic, Velocity Yellow tintcoat and Black exterior colors

It's a great deal. I'll just wait and see if i give in and buy one because it'll probably outperform most super cars :smile:

What will it be worth in 4 years?? A 13 year old nsx with low miles and service records still brings the 30's. A 3 year old vette can be had in the 30's and high 20's. Not to mention they are as common as Chrysler 300c's. Great bang for the buck, but can it go 120k miles and still be hold up nicely? my 2 cents

ChrisK said:
Fully optioned out it is also creeping up to M5 territory. I know it is totally different cars, but an M5 is one heck of a car as well. At $70K+ I might rather get a one year old M5 or maybe one year old M6 instead. When you could get C5 ZO6's for $50-$55K, that was a bargin. At $70K, still good bang for the buck, but not so much a bargin anymore.

BMW's taken this issue off the table for ya Chris. :) Estimated price for the 06 AUTOMATIC M5 is set at $90,000.

W said:
Huh, you assume all of us are car haters? Not me.

Nope... I just forgot to put this :wink: behind my statement.

whiteNSXs, I understand everyone had a different value system, and I do understand where are you coming from... But what I'm trying to say is that the Corvette will appeal to some people who thinks beating a 200k Ferrari with his 70k car... Much the same that the 30k Evo/Sti owner can beat a, say, M3, nsx, Skyline... Do they have the same driving experience? Of Corse Not. Is it a Bargain? To each its own...

Back