OEM Exaust swap questions

i have a 1991 nsx i have pair of 01 oem headers i can buy an 97 oem muffler is this the right one i believe the diameter of tubing matches headers i know i will have to alter something as 1999 headers fit 1997 muffler not 2000 plus headers but i will be using test pipes which ones and what alterations are needed Please.

It sounds like you are trying to piece together an improved exhaust system. The 01 headers are a definate improvement over the stock 91 exhaust manifolds. Why are you putting a stock 97 muffler back on? You might as well just adapt your old stock 91 muffler, don't waste your money. Why not find an aftermarket exhaust that will mate up to the 01 headers? That way you could just get a set of test pipes or cats and have it all fit the 01 headers.

You will also need a pair of extensions for the O2 sensors since the headers have the O2 sensors at a different location and the pig tails on your old O2 sensors will not reach. You may just want to replace the O2 sensors with new ones if your O2 sensors are the original ones.

You will probably need the later model brackets for hanging the test pipes/cats. I had to replace two brackets.

I replaced my complete 91 exhaust system with 98 headers and cats and a ARC DT-X exhaust. I and am very pleased with the performance and sound. It wasn't cheap though.

Brad

I didnt want to use my 91 muffler because I thought the tube diameter was smaller than 97+ is that true and i have a line on a 97 but I think what i need is like you said one that would bolt right on with the larger tubing. Please correct me but i think that would be 2000+. Someting else i think i need is a 95+ sway bar. Thanks

Your post would be a lot easier to decipher if you would use punctuation.

I would buy an aftermarket cat back system instead of a newer stock system.

I am trying to make this a low buget mod. If the D stands for dollars then may I pm you my pay pal. :smile:

I am trying to make this a low buget mod. If the D stands for dollars then may I pm you my pay pal. :smile:

Sorry it doesn't...

For a nice sounding exhaust on a low budget, look for a used R/M exhaust. They go for arount $500.

I didnt want to use my 91 muffler because I thought the tube diameter was smaller than 97+ is that true and i have a line on a 97 but I think what i need is like you said one that would bolt right on with the larger tubing. Please correct me but i think that would be 2000+. Someting else i think i need is a 95+ sway bar. Thanks

If you are going to use test pipes that would be the ideal location to do the mating up of the new with the old pipe. If that is what you want to do check with Chris at Science of Speed and maybe he has what you need. The style of connector is different from the early, and late years. The old style connector uses a three bolt flat flange with gasket and the new style uses a two bolt w/spring and donut gasket. Don't forget you will need this hardware also. You will need a later model sway bar if you use cats, but I'm not sure if there is room for just test pipes with your old sway bar.

You can make your own O2 sensor pig tails from your old O2 sensor connectors and go to a salavage yard and get a couple connectors off any Honda/Acura O2 vehicle harness connectors. A 4 wire connector is what you are looking for. Take your old O2 sensor with you to be sure you get the right one. Be sure to keep the two black wires where they need to go when you splice them together. Solder them together don't use a crimp connector. You can get the bolts and springs there too. 94-97 Accord exhaust bolts and springs work just fine. Use new nuts.

Brad

Back