OEM '93 wheel stains

BAG

Registered Member
My wheels have milky, cloudy stains.
I've tried various cleaners including wd40, simple green, p21s etc.
Today.....I tried some 1500 grit sand paper w/some luck(added a little white vinegar too.)
Wheels definitely look better, but the surface is dull, rough looking and I now can see some flaws in clear coat.
Can someone recommend a product to polish/shine these now?
Wheel wax? Wheels are on car...I just want to make them presentable till I get a new set when rubber expires.

Thanks....
BAG

Last edited:
Wish I could help. I have a '94 with OEM wheels that have a similar staining problem. It looks like someone spilled something on them and they got stained with darker spatter and runs (drips).

I have also tried about a dozen different cleaners and even paint thinner AND ACETONE! Nothing has worked. Aside from having them refinished I don't know what else would do the trick.

If anyone on prime has another idea please share. I like my wheels. Thanks!

-DREW-

Are you guys sure you are not dealing with wheels that have been polished? It sure sounds that way -

Simple test, get some aluminum polish ( I like mother's mag polish or a "wadding" polish)

motorcycle-polish-mothers-mag-and-aluminum-polish.jpg

1035605.jpg

It will only take a few seconds of rubbing to determine if you are dealing with a polished aluminum surface as it'll pick up black oxide on the rag or wadding - if so then you need a little more elbow grease and you'll be good.

If not - you may have other issues -

Please post pics.

Sounds to me like the clear coat is messed up and you're getting oxidation underneath it...

OK, here are some pics. My wheels are painted as you can see the chip in pic 003. This is the worst wheel of two that are bad. The staining is darker than it looks in the pictures, (cheap nikon). You can see the spatter in pic 004 and the drip runs in pic 003.

I'm showing my NSX in a fathers day autoshow and wanted to clean them up a little. Just a quick fix for now.

I also just read another wheel post where I saw refinishing is about $170 up to 17". That's not a bad price to get them looking new. Although I wonder what the downtime will be. Thanks for your help.

-DREW-

Also this is my NSX. I've had it for five months. I am in New Mexico and had my NSX shipped to me from Memphis, TN. One owner 108,000mi. That front driver side wheel is the one with the problem.

-DREW_

The "stains" in the pics are the result of using improper cleaners on the wheels which has eaten into the paint, the only fix is to have them refinished.

Painted wheels even with a clear coat can get stained pretty easy. Once done, you can't reverse the damage or polish it out. Only solution is to restore them with stripping and repainting. If you are planning on replacing the stock rims with new wheels when you do tires----that's your best bet--and you can always sell me your old wheels!
Huck

Back