Oct 29th NSX + Ferrari Fall Drive

Glad you had a blast at WGI Stu! Here's a short video clip from inside a 308 dino:

http://s55.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2H5FMNGYGD7QC1U3EZHHM98A4O

I had my videocamera mounted on a tripod filming the whole run, but the damn thing went into power savings mode, and even though I thought it was recording when I turned it back on, apparently it was in pause mode. So I only got the first 7 minutes or something -- blah. Really sucks because I had some awesome video of the testarossa, 355, etc. zooming by, chasing down the TR down hockley, etc.

Hey if you can get Nika with the Enzo out, count me in :-)

EDIT:

More pics from the event that a friend took:

http://www.silver-bullet-racing.com/sites/NSXFallTour05/NSXFallTour05.html

Last edited:
Red said:
Now I'm shopping for a track car...$$$$$$sssssssssssss (the sound of cash hissing from my wallet!) :redface:

Any ideas of what type of car you are looking for? I have been pondering the same idea. I bought the NSX and never even though about tracking it but now that I have put in a few days, I can see it will become a habit and it seems if you push it, its only a matter of time till something gets bent up. It would of course break my heart ( and my bank account) if something like that happened to my NSX.
My thinking is I could buy a Turbo MR2( love that mid engine design) for about the same price as a nice set of brakes for the NSX :eek:

The drive was a blast! Although I think I enjoyed the parking lot session the best as it was nice to see all that hardware at one time. The road part was nice but once you've been around a track a few times, it never gives you quite the same kick. Best part was watching all the smiling bystanders. Seems we really cheered up some folks days :smile:

coiler said:
Any ideas of what type of car you are looking for? I have been pondering the same idea. I bought the NSX and never even though about tracking it but now that I have put in a few days, I can see it will become a habit and it seems if you push it, its only a matter of time till something gets bent up. It would of course break my heart ( and my bank account) if something like that happened to my NSX.
My thinking is I could buy a Turbo MR2( love that mid engine design) for about the same price as a nice set of brakes for the NSX :eek:

Yes, I was thinking the same thing, tracking my baby was fun, but watching the guy who put his Prelude into the wall talk to the guy with the Armco Modified Lotus Elese made me start thinking. :cool: I think a smack up in my baby would ruin racing for me for a while.

I also have to admit that I'm a novice. With Peter Hanson (my instructor)'s help I have progressed to feeling "fast" and there was no question I was putting great times in for my run group level (Rui can be my witness! :wink:) BUT I fully have to admit that the car made me a better driver than I really am. When I powered on INTO the apex it was becasue the car could, not because I should.

To answer the question I have looked into a MR2- 2nd gen and done some reading over last night and today.

The answer is the fanatics love the car, but you can find people who think Fieros are cool and can explain how sh1t doesn't smell bad too.

My conclusion, the pre 93 cars (read not really available as 93+s in Canada, and rare in the US) are tail happy, where they snap around super quick. There was I guy I found who's an NSX owner who used to own an 80's MR2 who wrote an interesting constrast and compare piece (google it up!). I'm gonna pass on Mister Mister and skip over to BMW M3 or Porsche 944s or Turbo.

Now, (am I taking this thread for a loop or what?), I checked out the BMRs and found them pricey, but an interesting option to street. Ray, head instructor at the BMW school assures me there're amazing cars and cheap to maintain as a track car goes.

Now, two of my buddies have 944TS's that they track. They love them, say they're the best, cheap, etc.

(I'm writing this on a Mac, I don't like windoze much, now you may argue - great taste? Less filling?)

My conclusion, a track ready 1988 944s (Turbo is more, and maybe more car than I need) is about $7-8,000 - a BMer add 4G's.

Now my logic: I'm assuming I going to every possible track day, plus renting track time on my own (PM me if you are interested in the private weekday track session I am planning for this month!) SO I'm pretty certain I will see armco or tires up close sometime soon - so if I can buy a car for 30% less, I'm MUCh closer to another car - just in case AND if I "outgrow" this one I'll take a MUCH smaller loss selling it (who's ready to buy it for $4Gs next year?:biggrin:)

Also, IF you want to run Porsche club events you need a Porsche, if you want any other club you can run any car, so I have more options this way.

I think this is my decision, anyone want to talk me out of it? :biggrin: :biggrin: :cool:

(I'm gonna post this in the tack section as well!)

Nice novel!
I owned an 86 MR2 and it was tricky as I can recall 2 situations where I was staring at a guardrail without much warning. Managed to save both but it was not too confidence inspiring. I would asume that the 2nd gen are better but still a bit touchy. I'm just a sucker for mid engine! No doubt getting one from the US would most likely be the way to go. A little more hassle but I think they were available until 95. One guy who was at Mosport a while back had one and I should have checked it out a little closer, like from the passengers seat!
I also met him at the Porsche event at Watkins Glen, they let me in no problem :confused: He was driving a Supra at that event so from what I've seen, they will let in foreigners at the Porsche events. My instructor took me for a ride in his 924 turbo. I was quite impressed at its balance and it seemed to make it around plenty fast. I've only been at the track a few times and it is interesting the different approach you need to go fast and do it safely without unlimited funds.
However I guess I'm stuck with the NSX for a while so I just have to carry on all miserable like.

It's mainly the local Upper Canada and Rennsport (Quebec) PCA Regions that categorically do not allow non-P cars to attend their events. Both have a large membership base of which a large portion of them track their cars, therefore they don't need to open their events to other clubs. There are however a few PCA regions in the US that do open their events to other clubs with certain restrictions which vary from region to region. I've frequently attended several track events organized by the North East Region and Northern New Jersey which were the guys that held the WGI coiler attended last month.

The 944 is definitately a favorite among many track rats and as you pointed out, it will open the doors to a few more track local events that normally you wouldn't be able to do without owing one. I would try to find one that has already been fully track prepared with all the safety equipment. Also make sure you get it fully checked out for any damage to the frame or safety cage. The shop that most of the guys I know take their P-cars to Fiorano in Woodbridge (Hwy 400/Weston Rd and Langstaff Rd) behind the Sunoco.

Sorry for the late post...

Arshad: Kudos to you for putting together an excellent drive! Well organized, lots of fun and what a great turn out. Next year we should try to get some media coverage!

Lucas: Fantastic photos! You've got to come out to ALL the meets!

SPA_S2000: Dave, great to finally meet you and thanks for the kudos on the TL Nav retrofit! Still needs a little work (cosmetic) but it's almost there. You've got to take me on a ride with your Toda coils. I've got the Billstein HD and Dali springs on mine.

Red said:
To answer the question I have looked into a MR2- 2nd gen and done some reading over last night and today.

The answer is the fanatics love the car, but you can find people who think Fieros are cool and can explain how sh1t doesn't smell bad too.

Stu, if you're still considering an MR2 for a track only car, I can prob swing a great deal for you with my buddy Phil at Adrenaline..he builds amazing MKIV Supras and just picked up a track 2nd gen MR2 from the states to do something with, but he is thinking out doing it for a customer instead if there is interest. He can build it to any spec, for a great deal less than I think BMW or Porches would run you. Let me know if you're interested.

Wow, looks like a great time!

Spa_S2000, on your yellow '02, what kind of wheels are those? They look outstanding!

Last edited:
HT - theyre WORK Termist TM1s. I love their classic motorsport look. THe only downside is that theyre not the fastest to clean well. Lots of spokes!

Theyre not THAT expensive either...

The drive was amazing! My copilot and I had a great time.

Thanks for all the hard work! I hope we do it again in the spring.

Cheers,
Sean

Back