Observation of NSX versus a Porsche

I was out at a show last night with the girlfriend, Mamma Mia, if any of you care, really funny.
Anyway I valet parked the NSX and when I went to get my car there was a Porsche Carrera or something that looked like it, not a boxter, I have lost track of Porsche models over the years, even though I really like cars. And I do like Porsches GT2 and GT3 and some others. Anyway when the valet pulled my car around, no one paid attention to the Porsche. I think the reason is since Porsche hardly changes the front design on all their cars, so to the general public they start to look the same and hence look less rare. While there is no other car like the NSX and so its more interesting to see one. Seems only car guys can recongize the difference between a 30K Porsche versus a 130K Porsche. Seems like Porsche is doing themselves a disservice by saturating the market with all the boxters. Anyway else notice this with porsche or is it just me

You Valet parked your car.....wow - brave soul

wagyshag said:
You Valet parked your car.....wow - brave soul

If/when I do I always note mileage and check it when I get it back. Sometimes its just better to valet than park in some parking lots. At least you know your car is watched and not prone to being keyed etc. I don't like doing it but sometimes would rather than parking in some parking lots downtown.

clr1024 said:
I was out at a show last night with the girlfriend, Mamma Mia, if any of you care, really funny.
Anyway I valet parked the NSX and when I went to get my car there was a Porsche Carrera or something that looked like it, not a boxter, I have lost track of Porsche models over the years, even though I really like cars. And I do like Porsches GT2 and GT3 and some others. Anyway when the valet pulled my car around, no one paid attention to the Porsche. I think the reason is since Porsche hardly changes the front design on all their cars, so to the general public they start to look the same and hence look less rare. While there is no other car like the NSX and so its more interesting to see one. Seems only car guys can recongize the difference between a 30K Porsche versus a 130K Porsche. Seems like Porsche is doing themselves a disservice by saturating the market with all the boxters. Anyway else notice this with porsche or is it just me

It's funny you mention this. I saw a relatively late model 911 this weekend that the guy had put a larger than stock "CHROME" vinyk sticker on the bonnet that said "911" in similar script to the OEM badge. I commented to my wife that maybe he was tired of people asking about his boxster. The boxster is a fine car, but I agree that some 911 owners have made it known they do not care for the too-similar appearance.

There are so many Boxsters and Cayennes around here that Porsches aren't so special anymore...

People literally turn their heads around when I come in my NSX, but noone even pays attention to a Porsche anymore "just another rich guy".

When I see Boxsters I think "haha he couldn't afford 911" :biggrin: :wink:

Shumdit said:
It's funny you mention this. I saw a relatively late model 911 this weekend that the guy had put a larger than stock "CHROME" vinyk sticker on the bonnet that said "911" in similar script to the OEM badge. I commented to my wife that maybe he was tired of people asking about his boxster. The boxster is a fine car, but I agree that some 911 owners have made it known they do not care for the too-similar appearance.

would that be German Rice, or should I say German Sauerkraut:biggrin:

Maybe it was the Cayman.

But let's get back to this valet business. NEVER valet your car. Period. Ask if you can park it yourself and hand the guy a $10 bill to leave it in a prominent spot.

ChopsJazz said:
Maybe it was the Cayman.

But let's get back to this valet business. NEVER valet your car. Period. Ask if you can park it yourself and hand the guy a $10 bill to leave it in a prominent spot.

Not a good idea, either....the valets frequent these prominent front spots all the time and tend to get real close to the car. I watched one time as a couple valets were going past a Benz one time and were just brushing on it as they went buy paying no heed. Save some money and park the bloody thing all the way at the back where no one else is. That's your best bet.

Last edited:
SilverStone05 said:
Not a good idea, either....the valets frequent these prominent front spots all the time and tend to get real close to the car. Save some money and park the bloody thing all the way at the back where no one else is. That's your best bet.

If that was an option I would take it. Sometimes you can't park where there are no cars. When I can I always park far away and usually near a wall or curb so a person can only park on one side of the car. Places I don't mind valet parking are where I can watch them drive my car to the spot its being parked in.

Whenever i go somewhere i know its difficult to park, i take me beater.

Simple

About them Porsches, there's so many, everyone drives them, and it needs an expert to see the difference between all the models and modelyears..

clr1024 said:
would that be German Rice, or should I say German Sauerkraut:biggrin:
Hey! :biggrin:

|Adeel said:
[..]When I see Boxsters I think "haha he couldn't afford 911" :biggrin: :wink:
True true, but on the other hand the Boxster is a realy nice car. Soooo little and middle-engined, fun to drive.

DutchBlackNsx said:
[..] and it needs an expert to see the difference between all the models and modelyears..
Hmmm, I'm no expert but I would say I can see the difference between every 911 model (997,996,993 etc.) Not if that 993 was made 1994 or 1995, but the model. C'mon it's not that difficult. :)

ChopsJazz said:
But let's get back to this valet business. NEVER valet your car. Period.

This is my philosophy (sp?); always has been, always will be :smile:

It has been said, porsche exterior designers are the laziest individuals in the automotive industry. If you look at the timeline, they actually go back and forth with their styles as well.

Porsches are not special. The GT2/GT3 etc. are. But even a 911 vs a NSX is not really much of a comparison rarity wise. The NSX gets looks because it has no predecessor and they are very rare.

A friend said jokingly that the boxter was the best buy in the porsche world. We instinctively say the opposite since its performance numbers are weaker than a 350z for instance. However, to 95% of the people out there, the boxter is as good as any other porsche for 1/4 the cost.

clr1024 said:

Disservice, huh? Yeah, I guess that's why Porsche is the #1 profit maker in the automotive industry. From a car designer's point of view, the current 911 (even though its an iteration of the same basic design for decades now) is a far more advanced (aestheticaly speaking) than the NSX's.

Sure, the NSX turns more heads, but visual design wise, the current 997 is above the NSX. Ask any automotive designer this and he/she will say so. My buddy good friend used to be a designer at the Porsche Design studio here in SoCal (they recently closed it), and being a designer for Porsche is TOUGH.

How do you keep refreshing an old basic design/layout and still draw many new owners and returning vets? How can you keep a car design still so appealing after this many years? I don't think Porsche has anything to worry about.

Spinner My buddy good friend used to be a designer at the Porsche Design studio here in SoCal (they recently closed it)[/QUOTE said:
Is this because they realized the designers were just sitting around playing paper football since the car design was not being changed? Sorry I could not help it!:biggrin: :biggrin:

Spinner said:
Disservice, huh? Yeah, I guess that's why Porsche is the #1 profit maker in the automotive industry.

Higher than toyota?

Anyway part of my point was that many people that spend 100K+ on their car would prefer that it doesn't look like a 30K car. Part of the reason many people pay that much is that they want exclusivity.

I don't think Ferrari or Lambo owners would be happy if someone could purchase a Ferrari that looked almost like a F430 or Mucielago for 30K. People react positively to a good looking car (yes this is subjective) who's shape they rarely see.

clr1024 said:
As for the Valet parking -I guess I will take my 20 lashings now!

NO NO!! To each his own; I was just simply making a comment that you are brave. That was in no way meant to put you down for valet parking your car.

Valet parking is just not my cup of tea

Their are so many options and variants on the 911 body style over time, even for a Porsche enthusiast it can often be hard to discern between a $70,000 Porsche and a $135,000 Porsche unless you really know what you are looking at and what the various options cost. I guess that is supposed to be part of their design appeal- the timeless body style and subtle cues which allow them to retain their purists while still attracting new customers.

To be honest, in stock trim, they all look exactly the same to me- boring. However, I guess those guys feel the same way about an NSX from the few meets I've attended. Although, I think most people on the street (layman) would agree the NSX is a far better looking car (not to start a flame war with the other forums or anything) as this is just opinion.

On the performance, IMO unless your looking at an older chassis that has been stripped or is a well prepped race car- most of the newer cars while developing good power- still edge on the very heavy side with AWD and a load of interior options.

All in all, so many little things about the 911 that never took to me.. now the GT3 RS or GT1.. well... obviously that is a different story... :wink:

Last edited:
Funny, just an observation but I'm recieving a lot more attention with my Turbo, than I ever recieved with my NSX.

Also about Porsche's design philosphy:
My friend is currently attending the Art center in LA and was told by one of his professor/instructor that Porsche's (911) are the hardest to design and are basically works of art. (not my words)

lol admit it, you guys get jealous everytime a P blow's your doors right off:biggrin: :tongue:

NsSeX said:
Funny, just an observation but I'm recieving a lot more attention with my Turbo, than I ever recieved with my NSX.

Also about Porsche's design philosphy:
My friend is currently attending the Art center in LA and was told by one of his professor/instructor that Porsche's (911) are the hardest to design and are basically works of art. (not my words)

lol admit it, you guys get jealous everytime a P blow's your doors right off:biggrin: :tongue:

Hehehehe...yup. That's where me and my buddy (the guy who designed for Porsche) graduated from. Porsche is probably one of the pickiest companies when it comes to selecting designers. My friend is very, very, very talented. He got a full scholarship from Porsche, plus additional scholarships from different companies...at the end, he was pretty much getting paid to go to school.

Ofcourse Porsche picked him up right away after graduating.:biggrin:

Klayton said:
Hmmm, I'm no expert but I would say I can see the difference between every 911 model (997,996,993 etc.) Not if that 993 was made 1994 or 1995, but the model. C'mon it's not that difficult. :)

I agree, I'm no aficionado, but I know I could tell the difference between most 911 designs without much effort.

wagyshag said:
NO NO!! To each his own; I was just simply making a comment that you are brave. That was in no way meant to put you down for valet parking your car.

Valet parking is just not my cup of tea

Its not my preference and if I can avoid it I do, but sometimes its not avoidable. It may just depend on the city you live in.

Sinisfun said:
I agree, I'm no aficionado, but I know I could tell the difference between most 911 designs without much effort.

Again my point is at some level you really like all sorts of cars, whether its a Porsche or not. I am talking about the general public here recognizing the differences.

Back