OBDII System Not Ready

I'm a new member of this group and this is my first posting.
I'm unable to get my 1997 NSX registered in AZ due to OBD readiness reporting more than 2 emissions systems "not ready". Specifically the EVAP system, EGR, and Heated O2 are reporting not ready status. I changed the battery several months ago and the car has been driven periodically for a few hundred miles since then, so the OBD computer should have reset.
The dealer has no idea of what the drive cycle for the OBD reset should look like and states there is nothing for him to repair...I've had others suggest maybe a previous owner changed out a chip in the ECU for better performance.
At this point I just want to get the car registered. Any ideas?

the computer needs certain conditions to happen to be ready. try letting the car idle for 5 minutes and then running it to 2k rpm for a couple minutes nad then idle for 5 minutes and it should have all systems read.

I had a similar issue on mine . also that is why i keep the car on trickle charge when not in use as the nsx is a slow learner and if the battery is routinely ran down to dead it is possible for the nsx to constantly be in learning mode (not runnig off feedback from the o2 sensors)

let me know if the above helps. NOthing is wrong with your car. it just needs to be driven more.

Diversity in your driving is the key. Do some highway, some around town, idle, rev, etc. As mentioned you need to get the car into all the conditions needed to satisfy the system that all emissions controls are completely functioning.

I have also found about 70 miles of diverse driving does it for sure, as Marty states.

Regards,
LarryB

Last edited:
I appreciate the responses - I'm going to work on that diversity of driving this weekend - hopefully without being pulled over for expired tags - which is always better than for 100mph+

Did you pass your OBD? I am having the same issue. The battery was dead and I replaced the battery and since then I followed multiple OBD cycles and ran for 400miles but still the OBD is not complete. The oxygen sensor itself is not triggered. So I am not sure what is going on. There are no other codes reported.
Any help from anyone will be helpful. My car is 96.
I am out of registration for quite a few months now.

there was an emission recall on all 96's......could this problem be related?

I remember reading about this in the owners manual.

When "not ready" I've always just driven the car for a couple days and returned.

The manual is great reading, super informative and in some places actually fun.
Here is one on line for a 2002.

See page Page 281

readyness code.JPG

Thanks for the info. I dont think I read the manual, not sure if I even have it. :-).

I am going to try this exact sequence tonight and see if O2 and CAT pass or not.

I remember reading about this in the owners manual.

When "not ready" I've always just driven the car for a couple days and returned.

The manual is great reading, super informative and in some places actually fun.
Here is one on line for a 2002.

See page Page 281

View attachment 161760
My EVAP system is finally ready after following the manual. Thanks for posting . I had P1317 code for spark plug detection circuit . It was only bad ground , but after resetting the code I had a hard time to get ready for inspection even after 1,000+ miles. I used cheap code reader with torque app and that tells you if your computer is ready. It was painful to drive without Vtec , but it worked.

Back