NSX's Private party value?

I have been looking at getting another NSX and yet, they all seem to be way over priced versus the Blue Book value? Why is this?

I figured since Honda has stopped making the NSX, the resale value would go down a bit, and according to KBB and others, it has..... why hasn't the people selling their NSX's seen this? :confused:

Thanks,
-enkrypt3d

Never look to KBB to assess exotic cars. They routinely undervalue it. Second, my belief is even when the next NSX comes out, due to nostalgia's sake, the NSX will continue to hold its value, especially among collectors and enthusiasts.

whatisreal7 said:
Never look to KBB to assess exotic cars. They routinely undervalue it. Second, my belief is even when the next NSX comes out, due to nostalgia's sake, the NSX will continue to hold its value, especially among collectors and enthusiasts.

I wouldn't say never. It's not as if blue book values are completely irrelevant... For example, if you total your NSX, even if it is 100% stock, you won't get even the KBB value...

I have owned an NSX before and am very familiar with the costs of maintenance etc... and I have dealt with the insurance companies on trying to get fair claims settled... and its always a pain (Even if your car isnt an exotic) ....

Most insurance companies look at KBB or Chomebook (and who knows where else) to get their numbers... I just wish it was more accurate to what the cars are actually going for on the market....

Anyways my point is, I think its rediculous to see a 1991 NSX with over 100k miles going for almost $40k when the KBB says $20k... even if it does have some mods, the mods will not raise the car's value very much if at all.

-enkrypt3d

enkrypt3d said:
... Anyways my point is, I think its rediculous to see a 1991 NSX with over 100k miles going for almost $40k when the KBB says $20k... even if it does have some mods, the mods will not raise the car's value very much if at all.

-enkrypt3d

A car is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

My cars are worth more to me than their book value as well. Book valuation are calculations on % depreciation/year and don't really adequately take into account things like condition and rareity etc.

My NSX's are special and unique and if someone was to tell me my car was only worth book value, I would just say well you try and buy one for that!

If you keep looking you may find someone who does not value his/her car any more than book value and will accept book value.

Either way, best of luck! I hope you can find what you are looking for!

enkrypt3d said:
Anyways my point is, I think its rediculous to see a 1991 NSX with over 100k miles going for almost $40k when the KBB says $20k... even if it does have some mods...
Where? It better have had a lot of expensive mods (that could be taken off and sold).

If you can hold out for a good NSX for KBB, be my guest - hope you have patience

You should judge market value by the people buying the NSX's, not an outside source who doesn't rsearch the market values individually

KGP said:
Where? It better have had a lot of expensive mods (that could be taken off and sold).

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67346

I'm not trying to call anyone out ...just trying to make sense of all this haha

I mean this NSX looks badass and I wish I could get a loan for $36k.....(the reason I can't is because the bank has no inclination to pay for the mods on this car) ......see my point? :(

AU_NSX, Yea I agree with you 100%...... It just sucks that the banks and insurance companies don't see things the same way we do.....

enkrypt3d said:
I figured since Honda has stopped making the NSX, the resale value would go down a bit, and according to KBB and others, it has..... why hasn't the people selling their NSX's seen this? :confused:

Thanks,
-enkrypt3d

That's pretty backwards thinking. They're not making any more...so if you want one, you have to buy from an owner (let exclude the few '05s that are still looking for homes...which are still at msrp) The owner now sets the price, not some book. The NSX is no longer a renewable resource. Prices will slowly stabilize and then begin to go up. A car like this will always be popular and will become a classic.

KBB is a guide, not the law. Even if an insurance company tries to use it, all you have to do is show what the COST TO REPLACE your car is to get your money.

enkrypt3d said:

I'm not trying to call anyone out ...just trying to make sense of all this haha

I mean this NSX looks badass and I wish I could get a loan for $36k.....(the reason I can't is because the bank has no inclination to pay for the mods on this car) ......see my point? :(

AU_NSX, Yea I agree with you 100%...... It just sucks that the banks and insurance companies don't see things the same way we do.....

Since you have owned an NSX and are familiar with the cost of maintenance and mods you would know that your chosen example is a steal. You might want to check out capitalone auto finance they provide auto loans based on your credit score, no questions as to vehicle year and blue book value.

DrVolkl said:
That's pretty backwards thinking. They're not making any more...so if you want one, you have to buy from an owner (let exclude the few '05s that are still looking for homes...which are still at msrp) The owner now sets the price, not some book. The NSX is no longer a renewable resource. Prices will slowly stabilize and then begin to go up. A car like this will always be popular and will become a classic.

KBB is a guide, not the law. Even if an insurance company tries to use it, all you have to do is show what the COST TO REPLACE your car is to get your money.

You have a point, as with the Ferrari F50, it goes for $750k and up... I'm still wondering if the NSX will appreciate or depreciate....

Of course I understand that the owners set the price.... but it's been my experience that say I bought this 1992 NSX for $36k when the blue book value is $25k (give or take) and totalled it, the insurance wouldn't care what modifications I had on the car.... be it a turbo, new engine and the works.... they only care about the numbers.... and to them, they couldn't justify giving me what I paid for on the car.... not to mention going through the trouble of convincing the bank to give me the cash in the first place.

My good friend just bought a 2005 Infinity G35. It has 10k miles and blue books for about $35k with all the options he had on it if I remember correctly... he was at the bank and they would only give him $28k! So he called me up and had me verify it online with several different sources.

The only way he was able to get the bank to give him the full amount was to show them that the car had the Aero body kit, the sport package and some other optional packages that don't normally come with the car - but are factory options... not aftermarket... so the bank finally gave him the money... this is the same situation I would go thru if I went to the bank tomorrow... sadly.

If you buy a car with as many mods as that 92, you'd better get a stated value insurance policy. Simple as that. That is a special case, totally removed from book values.

As long as your insurance company is willing to insure all the parts and you can justify the price of each part (with receipts) then I'm sure they will insure the car for a higher amount.

As far as the bank is concerned, they'll only pay the KBB value since it is a used car. That's just the way it is.

enkrypt3d said:
You have a point, as with the Ferrari F50, it goes for $750k and up... I'm still wondering if the NSX will appreciate or depreciate....

Of course I understand that the owners set the price.... but it's been my experience that say I bought this 1992 NSX for $36k when the blue book value is $25k (give or take) and totalled it, the insurance wouldn't care what modifications I had on the car.... be it a turbo, new engine and the works.... they only care about the numbers.... and to them, they couldn't justify giving me what I paid for on the car.... not to mention going through the trouble of convincing the bank to give me the cash in the first place.

My good friend just bought a 2005 Infinity G35. It has 10k miles and blue books for about $35k with all the options he had on it if I remember correctly... he was at the bank and they would only give him $28k! So he called me up and had me verify it online with several different sources.

The only way he was able to get the bank to give him the full amount was to show them that the car had the Aero body kit, the sport package and some other optional packages that don't normally come with the car - but are factory options... not aftermarket... so the bank finally gave him the money... this is the same situation I would go thru if I went to the bank tomorrow... sadly.

That is what makes NSX ownership special. These cars are not being handed out like a Mustang or Civic. I am sure you could walk into and dealership and drive away in a new Mustang GT. But an used NSX is a whole different story. Many of the owner here have put a lot of fore thought into their lives fore thought that now affords them a NSX purchase. The price of the car and the fact the bank won't give a loan on a 10 year or better aged car is just the way it is, now you have to find a way to work within those parameters. If you have good credit you are a lot less likely to walk away from the loan if the motor blows, the bank knows this. Save up 10 grand and then go borrow the other 25k.

The car you mentioned is well worth 36K all day long. Do you agree with that? It really is a simple yes or no awnser. Once you make the decision buy the car and enjoy it.

Never take an insurance companies first offer. They're always going to low ball you. That's their job. Most people won't even put up a fight....that's the sad thing.

You can always get pretty close to full value if you're willing to fight a little. If you're financing your car, get gap insurance.

The best thing about mods is that you can take them off. If they're not damaged, you can get some of your money back that way. (i.e. a turbo kit on an NSX would probably be ok in a front end collision).

As far as apreciation, I wouldn't expect too much of that for a few more years. However I think the history of the NSX, the popularity of it with younger generations thanks to video games and movies and the overall timeless design will stabilize prices pretty soon and ultimately drive them up.

Has anyone tried to find a good example of a last gen Toyota Supra? $$$

i think that the depreciating approximation for KBB kind of goes to hell when you consider the # of cars per year is in the 100's for later years.

http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/General/productionnumbers.htm

in the end KBB is a guideline and if you can find someone to sell their well
maintained car for less than the market value prime estimates then more power to you, a few guys on here got some pretty sweet deals their cars.

also since production has halted the price may rise. since the car is no longer in production its more of a collector item since there are only around 10,000 specimens from 1991-2005.

again if you can find someone to sell it for less and its in good shape i'd definitely jump on that :biggrin:

actually this reminds me of Supra's after the GD fast and furious movies came out.... 2 months before FNF1 a 94 supra was like $16000, 1 month after FNF1 came out the same car went for $35,000 LOL

enkrypt3d said:
I wouldn't say never. It's not as if blue book values are completely irrelevant... For example, if you total your NSX, even if it is 100% stock, you won't get even the KBB value...

I have owned an NSX before and am very familiar with the costs of maintenance etc... and I have dealt with the insurance companies on trying to get fair claims settled... and its always a pain (Even if your car isnt an exotic) ....

Most insurance companies look at KBB or Chomebook (and who knows where else) to get their numbers... I just wish it was more accurate to what the cars are actually going for on the market....

Anyways my point is, I think its rediculous to see a 1991 NSX with over 100k miles going for almost $40k when the KBB says $20k... even if it does have some mods, the mods will not raise the car's value very much if at all.

-enkrypt3d

KBB is not reflective of NSX market value. KBB uses a standardized depreciation formula that has little relevance to cars that do not depreciate according to a standardized formula.

KBB will tell you a perfect 1988 M5 with 60k miles is worth about $5k from a dealer. Such a car would be well bought for $15k from a private party.

I had the unfortunate privilege of totalling my NSX in October. It was a 1993 with 99,000 miles. The insurance company paid me $29,400, which is $600 less than what I bought the car for in 2003, not counting the aftermarket wheels, with 29,000 fewer miles. That was for the car completely stock, after I removed and replaced the aftermarket parts I wanted to keep. The insurance company was aware of this.

They didn't pay me that much because they wanted to make me happy. They paid me that much because that is what their research told them the replacement cost for my car was. They didn't look at KBB. They relied upon the asking prices of similar cars.

It always amuses me when people speak of a car's 'worth' is too high or low. Actually, it's true 'worth' is absolutely perfect when it sells at that price. A 35k$ 10 year old supra may not be 'worth' that much to you, but it IS worth that much in our glorious free market system if it indeed sells for that price.

The basis is as simple as supply and demand. Hold supply steady, raise demand, higher price. Or more realistically, hold supply [but cars are wrecked everyday], raise demand [introduce more buyers through widening NSX prices and more people growing up that love the NSX, and BAM, 15 year old 276hp NSX w/ 75k miles still worth 30k to many while the 5 year old 400hp vette is worth less.

enkrypt3d said:

First of all, when you quoted "close to $40K," I took it to mean 39.5 or something close to that amount, not $36.99K. Second, that was the asking price. You don't know what ended up being "OBO." Third, with the mods that car had on it, I can understand why he was asking as much. Lastly, yes - I see your point: Your mad at banks. They're evil. Or, you're mad that you want it now and don't want to wait until you have the cash in hand.

KBB is a complete waste. I don't even understand why they still have them. Insurance companies don't even go by them. If your car gets totalled, insurance companies will go buy local market value (ie, you print out ads in your area for the car your trying to replace...I can guarantee, almost none of them go for KBB). As I've said before. If you can find an NSX for KBB, buy it. Buy it quick. And sell it for a profit.

enkrypt3d said:
I have been looking at getting another NSX and yet, they all seem to be way over priced versus the Blue Book value? Why is this?

I figured since Honda has stopped making the NSX, the resale value would go down a bit, and according to KBB and others, it has..... why hasn't the people selling their NSX's seen this?
KBB and Edmunds are useless when it comes to pricing low-production cars such as the NSX. In the absence of sufficient available resale data, they simply apply a depreciation percentage to the car's original purchase price. Their values are totally out of line with the market. They claim that you can get a nice used NSX for under $20K, which is ridiculous. Find me such a deal and I'll buy a dozen of 'em.

The best pricing guide for NSXs is the one in the FAQ (under Buy, Sell ==> Pricing). The values there are slightly high for the few most recent years, but otherwise they are accurate.

enkrypt3d said:
I wouldn't say never. It's not as if blue book values are completely irrelevant...
Yes, they are.

enkrypt3d said:
For example, if you total your NSX, even if it is 100% stock, you won't get even the KBB value...
Absolutely untrue. Insurance companies reimburse based on market value, NOT on KBB values. Depending on the insurance company, you may need to negotiate with them and prove to them how much it would cost to buy a similar car to replace your loss; the better insurance companies (generally, the ones with high ratings for claims satisfaction in JDPowers and Consumer Reports) give you a fair offer up front and don't make you haggle with them. Almost everyone I know who has totalled an NSX (and they have been numerous) has been satisfied that their reimbursement was fair (which would never be the case if the insurance companies used KBB as a basis).

enkrypt3d said:
I have dealt with the insurance companies on trying to get fair claims settled... and its always a pain (Even if your car isnt an exotic) ....
Sounds like you have been dealing with the wrong insurance companies. I bet you are not with USAA or Amica. Probably not State Farm, either.

enkrypt3d said:
Most insurance companies look at KBB or Chomebook (and who knows where else) to get their numbers...
Absolutely not true.

enkrypt3d said:
my point is, I think its rediculous to see a 1991 NSX with over 100k miles going for almost $40k when the KBB says $20k...
As noted in the FAQ, a typical 1991 NSX with high mileage should sell for $20-30K. Of course, anyone can ask whatever he wants for his car.

Also, with older cars, condition plays a much greater role than mileage per se. A car that has a lot of miles, but has been extremely well maintained, and has all the maintenance up to date and absolutely no issues, will sell for more than the typical car.

enkrypt3d said:
even if it does have some mods, the mods will not raise the car's value very much if at all.
In most cases, that is correct. Certain mods (e.g. supercharger) may be legitimate exceptions. Also, this is a heavily modified car. Heavily modified cars may sell for a lot more than bone stock ones if - and this is a big "if" - the seller can find the right buyer, i.e. someone who wants a car modified exactly this way and who is willing to pay a premium for such a car. The more a car is modified, the less ability anyone has to say that the car is worth $XX,000 (any particular amount), because there aren't a lot of similar cars out there with similar mods that are for sale. And, for this reason, the more the car is simply worth "whatever someone is willing to pay", as others have noted here.

It sounds to me like you want exactly this car, with its mods, but you don't want to pay the premium that the seller is asking for. Don't use this topic as a place to complain that you don't want to pay the seller's asking price; he's entitled to ask whatever he wants. Make him an offer (it says "obo") or look elsewhere.

KGP said:
Lastly, yes - I see your point: Your mad at banks. They're evil. Or, you're mad that you want it now and don't want to wait until you have the cash in hand.
I think he's mad because he wants to buy this car but wants to pay a lot lower price than it would take to buy it.

Hey, I want to buy a Ferrari Enzo for $20,000 but I don't waste my time getting upset that I can't do so...

hehehe

I want to pay "what" 700K for a Ferarri Enzo..that's KBB value....but I can't believe people are asking over 1 million for it. Darn KBB...it gives very little value. That KBB should not even exist today...we could be selling our NSX at 100K now hehehe.

nsxtasy said:
I think he's mad because he wants to buy this car but wants to pay a lot lower price than it would take to buy it.

Hey, I want to buy a Ferrari Enzo for $20,000 but I don't waste my time getting upset that I can't do so...

Its people like this that kind of pissed me off a bit when I was selling my NSX. They always go: "But KBB says...." If you see the asking price is nowhere near the KBB why even waste the seller's time by lowballing him/her with KBB offers. *rant off*

BTW, I sold it for way more than KBB. :D

Back