NSX's get lapped by 512TR's on the track?

I saw this post on ferrarichat and I wanted to know from those of you who track your car regularly if you have EVER seen this.

"I've been on the track with several NSX some with good drivers in them and I can lap them easily in my 512TR. A road NSX is no match for a 512TR unless Ayrton himself were driving the NSX"

Thoughts? Comments?

Originally posted by NetViper:
I saw this post on ferrarichat and I wanted to know from those of you who track your car regularly if you have EVER seen this.

"I've been on the track with several NSX some with good drivers in them and I can lap them easily in my 512TR. A road NSX is no match for a 512TR unless Ayrton himself were driving the NSX"

Thoughts? Comments?

The biggest variable in most track events is driver skill. A slow car with a fast driver can lap a fast car with a slow driver.

I have never seen a 512TR at the track, and have heard that they are generally not particularly good for that purpose. However, I have never seen a street car - even the fastest cars around, such as the 911 Turbo or the Viper - which could lap an NSX being driven by a truly good driver.

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 02 October 2002).]

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
The biggest variable in most track events is driver skill. A slow car with a fast driver can lap a fast car with a slow driver.

I have never seen a 512TR at the track, and have heard that they are generally not particularly good for that purpose. However, I have never seen a street car - even the fastest cars around, such as the 911 Turbo or the Viper - which could lap an NSX being driven by a truly good driver.

Ditto, with emphasis. Assuming of course a reasonable number of laps on a decent sized course. Even a small margin becomes a lap eventually.

At the same time, it wouldn't bother me if it were true.

I concur.

I've driven w/ Vipers, Rufs, Lingenfelter Vettes, Porsche 911s 944s, Supras, and never was lapped by any of them. Passed yes, lapped no. But I've never even been on the track w/ a Ferrari.

I love the 512TR. Think it's gorgeous. But I have hard time believing it can lap an NSX with a "good driver." I'm sure it's much quicker on long straights though. I don't know, maybe, either way I like the guy's car. I'd like to knoww what track this guy frequents or where he plans to go to next.

Guys, I have been on the track w/a 360 Challenge (pretty much the ultimate track Ferrari wouldn't we all agree?) and yes I definitely got passed, but lapped?!?!?

Come on now.

P.S. This was pre-bbsc
wink.gif
, however that might only help on the straights!

------------------
Jason

I have run a few events with a fellow in the N.E. who regularly tracks his mildly modified 512,he is a good driver and is not afraid to drive it.He is 1-3 sec a lap faster than I depending on the track,and I'm not slow.So at lime rock He would lap me every 50 or so laps.

Originally posted by docjohn:
He is 1-3 sec a lap faster than I depending on the track,and I'm not slow.So at lime rock He would lap me every 50 or so laps.

Dr. John is definitely not slow.

When I answer this question, I assume that people go out on the track for 20-30 minutes at a time. Even when the track is open all day (such as an open lapping day for instructors), it's pretty rare for anyone (even me
biggrin.gif
) to go out for more than about 40 minutes. If someone is 1-3 seconds quicker than you are, they won't lap you in a 30 or 40 minute session, assuming each lap is at least a minute and a half. Theoretically, if you both went out for a two-hour run, they could easily lap you, but who goes out for a two-hour run?

Our friend is at it again.

"Sorry Dave but the performance of an NSX and a 512TR is by No means very close. As I said before I have raced on tracks against NSX's with good drivers & I can easily outrun them and even lap them. You just cant compare the under 300hp NSX with the 428hp 512TR. By the way my 512TR now makes 460hp"

Here is another comment you will all enjoy "The Testarosa will leave the NSX for dead. The Acura is half the car in every way "

These people obvisouly know nothing about NSX's.

*********No flames please*******

For starters I love my NSX...... but given the chance to swap with a 512tr would be a no brainer for me if I could afford to keep it running and had someone close to service it. I know our cars are waaaaaaaay more reliable and much more refined, a ton less tempramental, and a great deal more comfortable, but you can't compare 270hp to 428hp. Plus the dream of the prancing horse in my garage......ahhhhh that would be nice
smile.gif
I can't be the only one here lusting over an Italian exotic.

P.S.-I REALLY would rather own a 355 spider is given the choice.

Ken is right unless you break or go to sleep on track you won't be lapped.The tr I run with is modified and recently got big brembo brakes.In the past I would eventualy pass him or he would end early because the stock brakes were gone,they are more pitiful than our stockers.It is fun to see that big assed tr near the limmit though!He has had good luck with it.Whats funny is he brings his mechanic to the hpde's just in case.

Just about anything that can be replaced has been.The motor has IEM, i/h/e susp:Z-springs,koni, sways, rear bush-toe links,brembo front brakes,and flavor of the month track tires.Most of the other things are fluff,the harness system is helpful though.

I neglected to mention the clutch,short gears, and 4.55 rp,and flywheel.

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
Dr. John is definitely not slow.

When I answer this question, I assume that people go out on the track for 20-30 minutes at a time. Even when the track is open all day (such as an open lapping day for instructors), it's pretty rare for anyone (even me
biggrin.gif
) to go out for more than about 40 minutes. If someone is 1-3 seconds quicker than you are, they won't lap you in a 30 or 40 minute session, assuming each lap is at least a minute and a half. Theoretically, if you both went out for a two-hour run, they could easily lap you, but who goes out for a two-hour run?

Ken all this could do some damage in a 20 min session.

f40lm.sized.jpg

Originally posted by Nsxotic:
That is aftermarket.

f40lm5.sized.jpg

The car is a F40 Lemans, its REAL not after market at all if you are in fact talking about the F40 pictured. If not, sorry.
There is also a cooler at the front.
Len

[This message has been edited by len3.8 (edited 04 October 2002).]

[This message has been edited by len3.8 (edited 04 October 2002).]

Back