NSXPO '04 Update (Sat & Sun)

Well what can I say but the last two days were FANTASTIC!

Saturday morning started out as you might expect with everyone cleaning their cars for the days events. Today was kind of an off day for me as this was the first day in the last 8 that I didn't drive over 100 miles!:)

The morning was spent in Technical Seminars. The first one was presented by Matt Zakarain of Detailing Dynamics on the "Proper way to have the 3M "Clear Bra" installed on the NSX (or any car for that matter). The next presentation was from Jeff Miller of Yokohama Tire who told us about all the products that Yokohama makes and some details on the current and future tires for the NSX. Andie Lin from Cobalt Friction gave a talk on Brakes and Brake components.

After a nice lunch sponsored by Science of Speed the technical seminars continued with Joe Lormoriello of Vince's Auto Body talking about how to make sure your car gets fixed right if you get "dinged". The seminars wound up with Larry Bastanza of Asimo Motorsport talking about both simple and involved maintenance on the mechanics of the NSX. Everyone really enjoyed the presentations and learned many new things. Thanks to all the presenters for their well prepared and informative presentations!

Also after lunch many of us went on a tour of the Corning Museum of Glass. This is a wonderful facility that provides many, many displays of the history of glass making and glass use along with many hands on displays on the technology of the glass and ceramics industry. If you are ever in this area you should make a point to check this museum out! Just make sure you allow lots of time as one afternoon just scratched the surface of this wonderful place!

After the tour was over we had just enough time to clean ourselves up for the annual NSXPO Banquet. We had a Cocktail Reception before the Banquet that was sponsored by Asimo Motorsport. The dinner was a "sit down affair" with a wonderful selection of Filet Mignon or Salmon. Before dinner was served the announcements of the new Board of Directors members were announced. Congratulations to Ken Sax (re-elected as Treasurer), Bob Ondrovic (new Secretary), Peter Mills (re-elected as NE region Representative) and Heather Woodall (elected as the new SW region representative). Miled Salieb (sp?) (Senna Perfected) made a very emotional presentation of a certificate in remembrance of 9/11 signed by members of the responding fire departments to Hirofumi Tomiyoshi and the other members of the NSX Club of Japan who had flown over for our NSXPO! Hirofumi then presented a framed original silk screen print of a red '91 NSX to the NSXCA as a gesture of good will between the two clubs! This picture will be passed from President to President of the NSXCA as part of the honor of being President of the Club. Wei Shin Chinn graciously accepted this generous gift!

After dinner we had the distinct pleasure of listening to a delightful presentation from the world renowned racing driver Brian Redman! Brian told some fascinating stories about his long and distinguished racing career that was punctuated with some horrifying accidents that he managed to survive! What a wonderful and delightfully approachable man with a great love of life and the world of motor racing!

The evening was capped off with the annual raffle of NSX "goodies". Brake pads, detailing kits, SOS accessories, Comptech Cold Air Intake (that Ken Sax donated from his Poker Rally winnings!) and NSX die cast models were all distributed to lucky winners. There was also a silent auction for more valuable items like gift certificates to Mechanics Direct, a JGTC rear wing from SOS and an original oil painting of NSXs driving on Watkins Glen! These were all purchased by the highest bidders. All and all this was another wonderful day with both old and new friends!

Sunday Morning we all awoke to a foggy and drizzly morning. Some of us still made an effort to shine up our cars for the upcoming Zymol Concours Pour la Amusement that was planned to start at the Corning Museum of Glass at 9:00 AM. I finally gave up cleaning the car when the drizzle turned into light rain and the car was getting wet faster than I could dry it :( The next event was most likely the largest challenge of the whole event, getting 120 cars into a parking lot designed for about 65 cars! After an hour of skillful parking direction the deed was done and the group Photos were taken just as the drizzle finally decided to stop! The concours was a great success even with the wet cars (some of us tried to keep our cars dry for over an hour :D) . The rather cold and soggy group was then treated to a tasty buffet lunch sponsored by Vince's Auto Body, at the Corning Museum of Glass and the winners of the Concours were announced. Unfortunately I didn't win the longest drive award as Claus and Shirley Grote drove their NSX from L.A. to the event by way of Canada (which was in excess of 3000 miles!). I did however get the best trip log award for my postings during my drive from L.A. to Corning ;)

After lunch most everyone jumped into our cars and headed for the village of Watkins Glen for the treat of driving the original Grand Prix road race course (6.6 miles) which winds through the country around and though Watkins Glen. We also got our individual pictures taken with our cars at the "Old Stone Bridge" along the route. I can't wait to see this picture as the area was in the middle of a beautiful forest with the leaves in peak fall colors!

Again we arrived back at the hotel just in time to change and head out to dinner which was a cruise on nearby Kueka Lake! This was a very special cruise as one of the event organizers (I am sorry I can't remember his name ;) ) had arranged to GET MARRIED on the boat just before dinner was served!!! most of the NSXPO organizing committee was part of the wedding party! This made for a truly memorable event during the cruise and dinner sponsored by Davis Acura. As has become tradition at this event the food was EXCELLENT and the company was DELIGHTFUL! After dinner we all caravanned back to the hotel for a good nights rest prior to the start of the track event at Watkins Glen International Raceway on Monday morning. As like all the other days a well planned and well executed enjoyable day.

As I did not plan to track my car and my need to get back to work I departed Corning this morning for a plane ride back to L.A. this afternoon. My car will be shipped back and I will then (I bet you can guess) clean it up again.

I hope someone who attends the track event will update these notes and complete the diary for NSXPO '04!

Thanks to all the wonderful people who obviously worked VERY HARD to make this NSXPO a tremendous success! The number of cars was announced as 120 with 205 people in attendance! I think that Phoenix has a hard act to follow for next years NSXPO!

This has been a wonderful 10 days and I am thankful to everyone I met along the way and also so many old friends from past NSXPOs. You have made this an NSXPO I will never forget!

Back