NSX with High milage, does it have weaker chassis?

I would like to start off by saying I'm looking to get a NSX.

I would be 'upgrading' from a s2000.

Anyhow, I was just curious on the flex of the chasis due to the age of the car. I would most likely be purchasing a 91 model.

Would a car with 150,000+ have a problem with chassis flex?

I apologize in advance for the generalized question.

lamvu said:
I would like to start off by saying I'm looking to get a NSX.

I would be 'upgrading' from a s2000.

Anyhow, I was just curious on the flex of the chasis due to the age of the car. I would most likely be purchasing a 91 model.

Would a car with 150,000+ have a problem with chassis flex?

I apologize in advance for the generalized question.

Unless the metal has degraded from stress (highly unlikely), or has been repaired, the age of the car shouldn't be a factor in chassis flex. In fact, when ever I put my NSX up on the middle jacking point, I'm surprised that the door opens and closes as if the car was on all four wheels. The NSX is surprisingly strong even though the frame only weighs about 500lbs.

Just do your due diligence and have the car inspected prior to purchasing it and you should be good to go.

I thought you were getting an E46 M3 or an E39 M5

Definitely do the carfax and inspection for any potential prior repairs. It should not have a weaker chassis just because of age (just as DocL mentioned).

Do worry and pay extra attention to the engine, transmission and A/C control unit condition and service history if available. I am sure others can chime in and provide more detail or check out nsxprime maintenance threads through a search for reference.

On a side note, JMHO, I would not trade an S for a "high mileage" NSX. Keep the S if you can manage especially if your S still has fairly low or average miles.

Success with your NSX search!

lamvu said:
NSX with High milage, does it have weaker chassis?

Unless the car was involved in an accident severe enough to have bent the chassis, the answer to your question is no. The chassis on the NSX is built beyond airframe standards and will outlive you, your children and their children as well. As an example, the Boeing B-52 which is already about 50 years old is expected to remain in service for an additional 50 years. I'd venture to say that the NSX chassis is built to a higher standard than the B-52's airframe.

For aluminum, just a plain aluminum bar, under vibration stress testing, after vibrating at 10,000+rpm for 10 minutes, the yield strength will be affected, but barely unnoticeable even in a lab. So for 'well-structured' vehicles, especially the sandwiched structure chassis, etc, I would not even worry about it.

teejnut said:
What are things to worry about in a high-mileage car?

Timing belt, water pump, hoses, crankshaft pulley, lack of proper maintenance. The age of the car also has a bearing on these items. Age can also affect the amps in the speaker modules, the climate control circuit board and the window regulators. Depending on whether or not the previous owner(s) were kind to the interior you might have excessive wear on the seats' leather.

If the car has been properly maintained there is hardly nothing to worry about. My '93 has 175,500 miles and is driven daily averaging about 3000 miles/month.

S-TO-8K said:
Definitely do the carfax and inspection for any potential prior repairs. It should not have a weaker chassis just because of age (just as DocL mentioned).

Do worry and pay extra attention to the engine, transmission and A/C control unit condition and service history if available. I am sure others can chime in and provide more detail or check out nsxprime maintenance threads through a search for reference.

On a side note, JMHO, I would not trade an S for a "high mileage" NSX. Keep the S if you can manage especially if your S still has fairly low or average miles.

Success with your NSX search!

In todays car market anyone with a vehicle that is worth anything will go the cash route if they had an accident just so that there will be no record of it. I have heard numerious stories of cars that were banged up and repaired with a clean car fax ..... this is straight out of the owners mouth. So please dont put that much faith in a car fax ..... get a thurough PPI done.

Back