NSX Wannabe Owner

Hey everybody I'm new to this site and am hoping to purchase a 94 or newer NSX in a year or two (thus the title). I am totally in love with this car! This site seems like a no nonsense site with knowledgeable members so I have a few questions. First let me say I know it's not fair to compare the NSX to brand spankin' new cars like the 2011 Mustang GT but that would be a car I want to beat on the road if I found myself in such a situation. The GT does 0-60 in 4.4 and the 1320 in 12.7 according to my Oct. issue of Motortrend, I know the stock 94 NSX does 0-60 in around 5.5 and the 1320 in around 14.00. What can I do to hang with these modern day musclecars? I know the NSX is more of a road course car than dragstrip but it would be nice to know the ability was there to beat someone in a straight line. I figure I/H/E would bump the hp to around 300 but I don't think that's enough. Any advice you guys have would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

You'll either need a supercharger, turbo or a jug.

You need to worry about beating the new V6 first, then worry about the GT. Just remember, there's always going to be someone faster than you.

Just don't run anyone, just sit there and look good...

Welcome to the forum. You will get all the knowledge you can handle abt the car itself, as for your speed questions I can't answer none of them cause I'm not a dyno type of guy but i love the car for pure looks but I'm sure the masses will be responding shortly.

Yeah it's a sick car as is I agree, I think I'll just put the headers, intake and exhaust on and be happy with that....that should be enough to break 13s in the quarter mile and that's honestly fast enough for me, any quicker and I might get myself into trouble.

So you want an NSX to out run a new muscle car? Then take it around a corner. I'm willing to bet that a you'll have more power than you can handle driving an N/A NSX through the canyons and, if you're a decent driver, you will leave your new muscle car friends in your dust.

Why is it that every prospective owner asks the same question, "When I get my NSX how can I add more power?"

I guess I asked because of all the new performance cars out there having significant power advantages over the nsx....the new wrx non-sti has 265hp but is quicker to 60mph (4.8secs)...like I said in my first thread I know the NSX is in it's elements on a road course but just wanted to know how to increase the straight line performance cuz I love torque as well. I also realize there's a lot more to the NSX than just it's hp numbers, the car has a mystique about it and awesome exotic appeal not to mention it's extreme road handling abilities. And also like I said before I know it's not fair to compare a 94 nsx to a new car, but the reason it happens is because the older nsx is priced around the same as a wrx or mustang gt and rightfully so. Either way I want the car...

It may seem a little hypocritical of me to post that last thread, since i recently installed a CTSC, but there will always be a car out there with better straight-line performance. Yes, the new STI is quicker to 60. So is the Evo, the Vette, the Lotus, etc., etc. The NSX is a 20 year-old car and it still hangs with the best of them in the twisty stuff because of it's balance.

I had my car for 13 years before I finally installed the CTSC. In those years I learned how to drive it the way it was delivered. Read some of the threads here and you'll see how this car measures up to some of the best new cars when driven well. Now that I have taken the FI plunge I find myself completely re-learning the car.

Get your car, learn to drive it the way it sits and enjoy it. If someone wants to race take it to the track. A friend of mine was offered a race by a 1,000+ hp mustang with drag slicks, supercharger, lexan windows, etc. He said, "Ok, let's race for pink slips. One lap of Laguna Seca!" :biggrin:

A new mustang V6 would give the stock 94 a decent run for its money, also a stock 94 NSX runs a high 13 at around 104mph, not a 14 flat. If you mod with I/H/E, you would still lose to the 2011 mustang GT. The strongest running bolt on n/a NSX traps around 109mph in the 1/4 mile which is good for a high 12 second 1/4 miles. I trap around average which is the 107-108mph range which can hit like a 12.999999 or something in that ball park range if you can drive the car. ( I obviously can't )

The be fair the new mustang GT is neck to neck with a E92 m3 on a road course for crying outloud. It can handle, have tons of grip and have a trap speed of around 112mph stock. You would need a low boost Comptech supercharger to beat a STOCK gt. The new cars are just so fast now, well to me I think my car is fast enough for me since I just recently started auto crossing and i'm thinking about doing some performance driving events. Why would I want to make my car harder for me to master by adding more power? When I was at the drag strip, my car doesn't do too shabby since it gets pretty decent trap speeds compared to a lot of other street non roll caged and slicked cars.

Alot of people have a hard time matching the magazine times in real life and that is where our cars can beat them because the difference isn't great enough where a really good driver in our car can't a shitty driver in a faster car like the new mustang GT.

Last edited:
Just remember, even if they're faster, they're still driving a mustang. There's always going to be someone that has a way cheaper car that is faster... or a POS car they've put way too much money into. Do you really want to try to compete with that? Nobody is going to care how fast the mustang is when they see it drive by on the road next to the thousands of other ones. :wink:

Just remember, even if they're faster, they're still driving a mustang. There's always going to be someone that has a way cheaper car that is faster... or a POS car they've put way too much money into. Do you really want to try to compete with that? Nobody is going to care how fast the mustang is when they see it drive by on the road next to the thousands of other ones. :wink:

Agreed totally. Its a mustang. Ask any guy or any girl what they would rather be driving in. Most will say an nsx (if they even know what it is). You really cant compete stock against cars in a straight line, a track is a entire different story. My friend says hands down his gto will take my car in a straight line but saddly will admit that he will not even try on a track as these are track cars. If you want speed go buy a 93 fd rx7 and put 10k into it which would run you less than the nsx by far. If you want the timeless looks that turns the heads of anyone that views it get the nsx.

So you want an NSX to out run a new muscle car? Then take it around a corner. I'm willing to bet that a you'll have more power than you can handle driving an N/A NSX through the canyons and, if you're a decent driver, you will leave your new muscle car friends in your dust.

Why is it that every prospective owner asks the same question, "When I get my NSX how can I add more power?"

Lets face it the NSX was a bit underpowered from the factory and even more so compared to todays standards. No one will argue that the NSX doesn't have a lot to offer outside of speed. It might not be an important factor to you and many other NSX owners, but to someone preparing to purchase a sports car speed is a huge factor. Ask anyone that owns a CTSC and they will all say, "this is how the car should have come from the factory." The NSX is obviously a highly sought after car not just for speed, but future owners want to know it will meet the performance standards of today, and exceed them. I don't blame them one bit, i say here is your CTSC NSX or turbo NSX, now you can have your cake and eat it too.

Last edited:
For most of my adult life, I've owned some kind of muscle car. The quickest was a '68 Barracuda; it was a high 11 second car on street tires, and was a lot of fun to drive. Still, my bone stock '93 NSX is even more fun. The low, hoodless, wide open view; the musical engine sounds coming from behind you; and the intimate communication with the road all combine to make it fun even cruising at 20mph down a residential street. It's the most entertaining car I've ever owned, or even been in. If you can secure a ride in one, I think you'll have to get one.

Welcome!

I agree with what everyone is saying. I think you should drive one first and tell us what you think.:wink: BTW a stock nsx is already a 13 sec. car.

I think the nsx has plenty of power. When i had my first ride in an nsx, it wasn't like everyone said it was. (slow)...I thought that thing hauled ass and i was inlove ever since.
But a car can never be fast enough.:biggrin:

Yes the NSX can be made faster than the Ford GT but it will not be cheap in comparrison to modifying a high volume car.

You have several turbo options, Angus, Lovefab, Stmpo, SOS new twin turbo set-up, probably a few others I missed and two main S/C options, SOS supercharger (~400rwhp) and the Comptech Supercharger (~370 rwhp, hi boost i believe).

With the turbo's you obvioulsy have more flexibility in turning up the boost.

Only one of those is CARB certified but don't think you are in California so you may not care.

To go FI, expect to spend anywhere from $8 to $10K for an intial set-up and tune, plus labor if you are not installing. Of course you can spend more if you want to build your motor, I would say the accepted amount that an NSX motor can handle stock is between 400rwhp to 450 rwhp.

There will be cars out there that put down a lot more HP than that and will be able to do it for a lot less $$$.

HTH,

Carl

Hey just wanna say thanks for all the input, it's now obvious to me that if I really wanted to increase hp I can...and that's all I really wanted to know I think. Yeah my brother had a stock 05 mustang gt with 300 hp and that was definitely fast enough for me and that was a 13sec car, so if a 94 nsx can snap my head back like that car did I know it's fast enough. Thanks again.

Hey just wanna say thanks for all the input, it's now obvious to me that if I really wanted to increase hp I can...and that's all I really wanted to know I think. Yeah my brother had a stock 05 mustang gt with 300 hp and that was definitely fast enough for me and that was a 13sec car, so if a 94 nsx can snap my head back like that car did I know it's fast enough. Thanks again.

You need to drive an NSX, it won't snap your neck back, it's not a torque monster. The power delivery is very linear and the torque curve pretty flat. So it may not seem as fast as it is, always different when you are a passenger vs driver.

The mustang will feel more torquey, but the nsx will keep on pulling and pulling all the way to the 8000 rpm redline. The mustang would pull hard than kinda die out up top and you have to shift, so you might feel more initial G forces from the torque but the amount of time you spend in each gear before the shift is actually going to be shorter due to the shorter gearing of the mustang. In the NSX esp if its a 5 speed, it will get from tame to keep on pulling and pulling and pulling, and when your body is conditioned to think its time to shift, it will still keep on pulling because you still have another 2000 rpm to go before redline. I prefer the powerband being more spread out so its easier to control versus a very short and condensed powerband like most domestic cars.

The NSX's v-tec don't even hit until 60mph in 2nd gear and will top out at 82mph. So the car will feel very very different. Where the mustang is already in 3rd gear, your still in 2nd, and when the mustang is in 4th, your still in 3rd since third can take you to over 115mph. Usually if i take a passenger out for a spin, I use leave it in 2nd at 60mph and just punch it so its instant v-tec and it just keeps on pulling. I can savely say that my nsx can walk a stock pre 2011 mustang GT pretty steadily esp up top.

Okay so everyone keeps saying I need to drive or at least get a ride in an NSX, I couldn't agree more so who wants to volunteer!:biggrin: Honestly though what's the best way to get a ride? Must be some events in SoCal at some point in the year right? :confused:

Okay so everyone keeps saying I need to drive or at least get a ride in an NSX, I couldn't agree more so who wants to volunteer!:biggrin: Honestly though what's the best way to get a ride? Must be some events in SoCal at some point in the year right? :confused:

Yep, just had a meet with 23 NSX's 3 weeks ago. Just pop onto that regional forum. I'll give you a ride if you'd like...though I am FI and it won't feel stock :).

Sounds good to me...I assume you live in SoCal, is there any upcoming events where you could give me a ride? And I'm brand new to this site so not really sure how to access the regional forum but I'll have a look around. Thanks for your offer and let me know.

Back