NSX vs. Evora in Evo magazine

thanks for the link, now put some larger and more modern tires on the nsx and that 3 second gap would be gone.

How would the 02 - 05 NSX fair against the Evora though? 20 years is a 3 second gap, what about 5 years?

unfortunately the performance should be identical between the evora and the 02+ nsx. Honda barely did any improvements on this chassis in its 15 year cycle. The NA1 5 speeds needs larger and better tires to match a stock 02+ in the track because the even a stock 02+ is under tired I believe.

unfortunately the performance should be identical between the evora and the 02+ nsx. Honda barely did any improvements on this chassis in its 15 year cycle. The NA1 5 speeds needs larger and better tires to match a stock 02+ in the track because the even a stock 02+ is under tired I believe.

Tat- what tires are you running?

LOL Why would that be unfortunate?? Since Evo is in GB they could have access to a 02+ coupe. Something we never had access to for comparison. That would've have fared much better. Would it have tied?? Not sure three seconds on track is a big difference to make up.

Damn I know we can't import an NSX-R but what about a 02+ coupe??:frown:

Tat- what tires are you running?

I'm running Falken Azenis RT615's, they were the tire to have a few years back. Now the current cream of the crop tires would be the Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Specs 1, the Kumho Escta XS's, and the Nitto NT05's.

and WingZ, I saw unfortunate because it is less impressive when you compare a 5 year older car and have a small to no gap difference vs a 20 year older car that did better than expected and I think it was mostly due to tire and wheel size.

Last edited:
I'm running Falken Azenis RT615's, they were the tire to have a few years back. Now the current cream of the crop tires would be the Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Specs 1, the Kumho Escta XS's, and the Nitto NT05's.

and WingZ, I saw unfortunate because it is less impressive when you compare a 5 year older car and have a small to no gap difference vs a 20 year older car that did better than expected and I think it was mostly due to tire and wheel size.

Gearing has no part?

Gearing definitely has a part to play but I think the tires plays the biggest part. Most performance cars today can pull over .9 g's. What did the nsx do back in 1990? Maybe a .9 at best but the evora can pull close to 1.0 g stock. I know the power of the 3.2 is mostly offseted by weight of the coupes and its the gearing that makes it acelerate alittle better.

So Tat, I'd say that with better tires and the 3.2/6 speed there would have been a different story - don't ya'll think! Bet that gap would have been really close.

Now as to those tires you have - aren't those the ones that wear out in about 3k miles on the rear? Whoaaaaa - that's a bit tough for me. Any of the others you mention get better than that? Of course the Kuhmos are way cheaper I think.

Last edited:
Well with the 93+ rear toe specs you shouldn't be burning thru the tires that often. I know those tires should last 10K or so miles with moderate street use. I know track junkies can't approach that mileage though. I know I have 4K miles on mine so far and they still look pretty okay.

Gearing definitely has a part to play but I think the tires plays the biggest part. Most performance cars today can pull over .9 g's. What did the nsx do back in 1990? Maybe a .9 at best but the evora can pull close to 1.0 g stock. I know the power of the 3.2 is mostly offseted by weight of the coupes and its the gearing that makes it acelerate alittle better.

I thought the NSX pulled .93?? Maybe I'm mistaken, but I thought that was somewhere around that number. Granted, many cars pull over 1.0 these days, but 20 years ago, being over .9 was a feat.

Remember though, the larger, wider, heavier tires while having a positive effect on handling will have a negative effect on acceleration. It's a give and take, and perhaps the rather narrow tires of the NSX were the engineering sweetspot of that give and take.

Actually, tires of the size which are mostly used with aftermarket wheels (215/17 and 265/18) do not have that much of an effect on acceleration as many people think.

As for the max. G-forces, I know the NSX-R tested on the Nurnburgring in Germany reach a peak of 1.3G during the test. However, this was probably not a constant state affair, but just a peak moment. If I remember my NSX-articles, the G-forces on a pad varied at the time (with stock wheels & tires) from 0.89G to 0.93G).

Personally, I think that if you would take a 1992 NSX which just a bit stiffer suspension and the usual 215/17 and 265/18 tires that many NSX owners use, that 3 second difference could already be cut in half without too much difficulty.

Back