NSX vs. E36 M3 Redux

Number9

Caveat - these are both highly modified cars, so YMMV. I've been using the NSX as a daily driver while the M3 was being further modified, which took quite some time. Just got the M3 back so the differences between the cars was much more noticeable to me than ever before.

M3 is about torque, NSX is about smooth, continuous pull - the NSX has slightly more RWHP, but the M3 feels like it does because of the higher peak torque - NSX is faster but doesn't feel faster. Grip - stock NSX Yoko's feel grippier than Michelin Pilot Sports, so slightly unfair comparison for handling and braking. The rear weight bias on the NSX feels much better than the M3 on corner exit (for big HP implementations) as the M3 tends to break traction much more easily due to its front weight bias after you dump the spare, jack, and tools - net effect is that I can controllably squeeze more throttle sooner on exit in the NSX. Both cars have full handling mods (for a Zanardi, that just means Comptech non-compliance beam/toe-links whereas the M3 required the full catalog of Dinan S3 parts + BMW X-brace). M3 is a better auto-Xer. More torque and quicker steering ratio make this choice a no-brainer. The NSX is a better tool for Laguna Seca.

As for street driving impressions, surpisingly, the high spring coefficient Zanardi turns out to be way more comfortable and refined than the similarly modded M3. The NSX, even with CTSC, sounds stock (i.e., quiet and refined at all but WOT) whereas the M3 has all sorts of funky sounds, squeaks, rattles, i.e., the latter is all noise-vibration-and-harshness (the X-brace and racing transmission mount seemed to give rise to most of this). Stock pedal placement is much better in the M3.

Both fun cars, though I actually like daily driving the M3 better notwithstanding its lack of refinement - it draws less attention and the better pedal placement, better torque, and quicker steering ratio make it much more nimble overall. The Zanardi is the better track car. Just some random opinions, though based on extensive seat time - YMMV.

I myself am about to obtain a similar, although less ostentatious, combination.

My daily driver is a 1994 BMW 325i 5-spd, with some modifications (tri-flow exhaust, Dinan chip, camber plates, bilstiens) and I am days away from completing the purchase of Kenric Hwang's 1993 NSX.

I plan to continue using the 325i as a daily driver and the NSX for track/pleasure. I do intend to replace the 325 with another BMW, perhaps an E36 M3.

I have tracked the 325 at Road America, and found it be quite capable. I can hardly wait to try the NSX!

I can only imagine what these cars are like with the extra 100 horses from the supercharger.

Great summary, Ted!

I must say I have reached similar conclusions based on my ownership of both cars (though both normally aspirated).

How's the 3.2L treating the blower? Much difference from the 3.0L?

Last edited:
8000RPM said:
Kenric is a good friend of mine. You are getting a great car!

It certainly seems to be a good one. I will know for sure when John Vasos gives it the OK on Saturday.

I don't really know Kenric, but he seems like a decent guy.

nsxtasy said:
Are you coming to this weekend's BMW CCA event there?

Sadly not. I had thought about going last year and this year. The NSX purchase requires a little belt tightening, and I didn't want to chance the weather, which looks like it may be alright.

I do plan to do a few BMW CCA events this year. Octoberfast for sure, but probably a day at Blackhawk Farms as well. I don't think I am going to be driving the BMW, though . . .

:D

Well I would like to chime in on this topic....having owned both cars. I had a 98 M3 and replaced it with a 99 NSX. I drove both for about 2.5 years, putting similiar mileages on each.

All in all, I preferred the NSX. The gearbox, clutch, engine, visibility, reliability and overall refinement are considerably better. I used to commute in the South Bay and the M3 was pretty tiring in stop and go traffic.....the NSX was much easier to live with. The gearing in the M3 is weird since they didn't bring over the more expensive engine and "cheated" with gearing....the M3 revs about 1000 revs more than you would expect at freeway speeds in 5th gear, annoying on long trips, though it does save on downshifting since you are always in the heart of the power band. The steering is slower on the NSX, the brakes are a push, obviously the M3 is a more useful car, I could put a mountain bike in it. Fit and finish again go to the Acura, though the M3 was pretty close. Tire wear on each wasn't that good, though the NSX was worse and the tires cost more. Insurance costs go the M3, gas mileage depends on your right foot, though on long runs I did get 24 mph in the NSX on cruise control.

Recently I sold the NSX and bought a 2001 996 TT (fit, finish and reliability aside which are important) the Porsche crushes both on and off the track......the more I drive the car, the more I can set aside the quality foibles that use to drive me up the wall when I first got the TT. Build quality wise the NSX is tops, outright speed the TT is in a class of its own......

though depending on your budget I would recommend all three cars.....they're all pretty sweet!

Last edited:
kinnsella said:
All in all, I preferred the NSX. The gearbox, clutch, engine, visibility, reliability and overall refinement are considerably better.

I think I pretty much agree with that - especially with regard to the gearbox and visibility! The power-to-weight-ratio in both of these particular cars is better than the plain vanilla 996TT and having driven all three, I prefer the SC Zanardi, though stock for stock - 996TT without a doubt. But for a daily driver, I prefer to go incognito, hence the upgraded Dinan S3 M3. 8K, the new 3.2L I6 works great, main difference is just slightly more torque across the entire tq/rpm curve. BTW, did I mention that the M3 shifter sucks compared to the NSX? :p

Last edited:
When I dynoed my car(just exhaust), it put down about 20rwhp more than stock E36 that was there also(232 vs 209). E36 with heads/cam put down about the same as my car. I don't think it was tuned much tho.

Back