NSX vs. BMW540

NSX7 said:
an E46 M3 is definitely faster and more powerful than a 91 stock NSX but identical to a 97+ NSX is acceleration but not the torque

Ahhh.... I see. The E46 M3 was, in my mind, the most beautiful car on the market when they first came out few years back. They have 333HP, right?

Anyway, I thought that as far as track times and acceleration, they'd be about the same. I wanted to get an '02 M3, but ended up turning away because they weigh way too much. That's why I thought the NSX would be quicker around the track and overall.

I'm just gonna be quiet now.

:frown:

Driver5 said:
Okay...maybe I should have specified that I didn't want to compare them. My apologies. I was simply looking for some possible pros and cons of the NSX. I know most of the pros on the 540...power, sport sedan, 6speed manual etc. Cons...everything breaks right on schedule, gas hog, very heavy, Reliability issues etc... Are there any cons with owning the NSX? Of course, you are bias but seriously are there any? Reliability has become a concern for me while owning the 540. Right now, my truck is getting a new clutch so I'm forced to drive my 540 in stop and go traffic to work. Meanwhile, I'm staring at my temperature gauge the entire trip to and from. If you know about the 5 series Bimmers...you know their cooling systems are the worst. I don't need the rear seats since I already have a 4 passenger truck and the wife has the SUV. I've read many threads of how NSX owners regret selling their car. For some reason I don't think I'll be too disappointed to part ways with the 540. It's a great car, but I don't think I'm completely satisfied with the purchase.

I think you've answered your own question. You're still here lurking, obviously the 540 has not fulfilled your desires. So the question is this: Can you live without the rear seats? If the answer is yes, then I think you should consider trading that 540 in. The NSX gets better gas mileage, handles better and probably out accelerates a 540 (depending on mod for mod), yet is still very comfortable as a daily driver.

Maybe you're right, DrVolkl...

No offense taken, Gerard van Santen... I should have been more clear in my previous post.

LOL!! Having owned multiple BMWs(still own an E36 M3), including two E38 7-series and an 850Ci, I know exactly what you said about the dreaded "CHECK COOLANT LEVEL" on OBC. Alas, my current daily driver is an E36 M3.

If you can only have one car, stay with the 540i. I cant imagine driving my NSX every single day to work. For me, the car is just not practical enough to be one. Sure it will be as reliable as anything on four wheels, but it's too low, and even in car-crazed Southern California, it attracts too much attention, good or bad. I dont mind the occasional thumb ups from fellow enthusiasts, but the car would also bring bad attention. I like to be anonymous in my daily commutes, and the M3 serves me well on this. But for occasional weekend use, an older NSX at its price range is a hell of a deal.

My .02 cents

Last edited:
F1VTEC: What bad experiences have you had owning your NSX? I've read a few threads about cars being keyed and harrassment from cops etc. Have you had a bad personal experience? I don't mind the positive attention from other car enthusiast or just curious drivers, but anything negative I'd like to know about.

I drive a pickup truck as my daily driver so the NSX wouldn't be a daily driver. It's having the clutch replaced right now so I'm forced to drive the 540 to work. Usually the 540 is in the garage during the week and taken out on the weekends. I believe this is the first time since ownership that it's been driven in the rain! The NSX would be treated the same.... Garaged during the week and only taken out on the weekends or evenings.

Driver5 said:
F1VTEC: What bad experiences have you had owning your NSX? I've read a few threads about cars being keyed and harrassment from cops etc. Have you had a bad personal experience? I don't mind the positive attention from other car enthusiast or just curious drivers, but anything negative I'd like to know about.

I drive a pickup truck as my daily driver so the NSX wouldn't be a daily driver. It's having the clutch replaced right now so I'm forced to drive the 540 to work. Usually the 540 is in the garage during the week and taken out on the weekends. I believe this is the first time since ownership that it's been driven in the rain! The NSX would be treated the same.... Garaged during the week and only taken out on the weekends or evenings.

I got stopped by a cop once in my old silver NSX because he might think I didnt belong in that car, but this was about ten years ago. He didnt harass me or anything, just checking my papers and let me go. I am 31 YO, but I looked/looks younger than my age. So in general, I never got any unfair treatment from SoCal's finest just because I drive an NSX.

Having said that, I would get free lunches every day if I get 10 cents every time I say no to the street racers revving their engines on me. Aside from that, from my experience, the unusual shape of the NSX can either bring smiles from good folks or jealousy/hatred from losers. Even in my office parking lot in the better part of Orange County, it would stick like a sore thumb. Even though there are Bentleys, Porsches and countless high end Germans. My current NSX only has 10K miles and is near perfect, and I wouldnt feel good leaving it alone in a parking structure day after day.

I guess if you dont care about it being keyed or spit on, you can make it a daily driver. If you feel sick just imagining that, you'll be better off driving your pick up daily, and save the X for weekend.

F1VTEC said:
Having said that, I would get free lunches every day if I get 10 cents every time I say no to the street racers revving their engines on me. Aside from that, from my experience, the unusual shape of the NSX can either bring smiles from good folks or jealousy/hatred from losers.

I guess if you dont care about it being keyed or spit on, you can make it a daily driver. If you feel sick just imagining that, you'll be better off driving your pick up daily, and save the X for weekend.

Man, this is also VERY TRUE in the Bay Area (Northern CA). The paint of my red 04 is just so flashy even though the car is completely stock. It's a real looker. It's just so annoying to see these immature a-holes revving their engines right next to me trying to get me to race them. I love this car, but I really hate the unwanted negative attention it generates. As I read more and more NSX's get keyed on this forum, I just don't feel good about leaving it out of my sight, except in my garage. I don't want to take the chance and it's not a good thing to feel that way. Fortunately, I do have a daily driver.

My big bro drives a 2001 M5 as his daily driver. Every time he visits me, he wants to take my car out for a spin.

I say why not both. Keep the 540 and get an NSX. My last NSX was recently totaled and out of curiosity I drove an 2002 M5. It was incredibly fast but to have real fun I was going really fast. The NSX feels more like a comfortable go cart. I bought another NSX.

If I could only have one car with a family it would be an M5, but having other cars, I only drive the NSX on thursdays and weekends. My boys call it the race car.

One last note if you want to drive the NSX as daily driver, get a higher milage one and you won't feel bad about pouring the miles on. (It is a great daily driver) My last on had well over 100k miles. Now mine has 17k miles and I don't want to put more on.

I'm done

Back