NSX vs. BMW540

First off... let me introduce myself since this is my first post. I've been on this forum(lurking) for the past year or so. I was in the market for a car to enjoy on the weekends and occasional commute to work on nice days. I debated on the NSX for a while, but eventually went back to BMW. I had another one previously. Anyway, I've had my E39 540 for a little over a year now and I've enjoyed modding it and always impressed with the torque from the V8. However, I still come back to NSXPRIME! I'm not sure why, but I'm still in love with the NSX and wonder..."what if?" I know that they are two totally different vehicles, but I'm trying to get some kind of pros and cons list before I begin my hunt. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

How do you want to compare cars that are in two complete other segments. You want to compare an overpowered 4(5) seats family sedan with an sophisticated 2 seats supersports coupe like the NSX:confused: :confused:

Don't think you read my post entirely... I said "I know they are two completely different vehicles..."

Driver5 said:
Don't think you read my post entirely... I said "I know they are two completely different vehicles..."

I think he read your post the same way I did. How do you compare two completely different vehicles?

Driver5 said:
Sorry, I didn't want to offend you. I was just puzzled by the fact that you compare the two cars. And you indeed wrote that they are two complete different cars. I think these cars aren't comparable just by the fact they are that different.
The most important question to ask yourself is what you want to use the car for. Do you want to drive a sportscar or do you have a family with kids that needs a family car? I often see even on Prime that the NSX is compared wih fast family cars like the M3. That is something I have troubles with to understand. I do understand that people have both.

I think you've answered your own question. You're still here lurking, obviously the 540 has not fulfilled your desires. So the question is this: Can you live without the rear seats? If the answer is yes, then I think you should consider trading that 540 in. The NSX gets better gas mileage, handles better and probably out accelerates a 540 (depending on mod for mod), yet is still very comfortable as a daily driver.

I know that in past comparisons Nsx vs M5 stock vs stock there was not significant differance in straight line accelleration.Yes I said straight line !
The 540 is a heavy powerful sedan with nice torque the nsx is lightweight well balanced sports car. I dont know what you have had in terms of a real sports car in the past but the fun factor in a nsx is extremly high. My friend who owned both a M3 and M5 recently at the same time had a nsx before had this to say about his 5 series killer. He told me the car is powerful and fast but not as fun to drive as the M3 and he also said that he regrets selling his nsx and although he has moved on to a 911 now he still longs for a nsx again.

My personal experience is 7 months ago I got a new 05 Acura RL, even though I am a sports car guy at heart. The comfort and gizmos were great, but the car did not fit who I am. 1 month ago I picked up a 2005 NSX and could not feel better about my choice. A fast sedan is a fast sedan and a proper sports car is a proper sports car. What do you want to drive???? For me, I can't see driving a sedan for anything other than toting other folks around and I do not do that very often.

My wife is happy with a sedan, so when we need it, we have one. I will get something to drive in the snow, but otherwise the NSX is my ride. No more conflict for me

Okay...maybe I should have specified that I didn't want to compare them. My apologies. I was simply looking for some possible pros and cons of the NSX. I know most of the pros on the 540...power, sport sedan, 6speed manual etc. Cons...everything breaks right on schedule, gas hog, very heavy, Reliability issues etc... Are there any cons with owning the NSX? Of course, you are bias but seriously are there any? Reliability has become a concern for me while owning the 540. Right now, my truck is getting a new clutch so I'm forced to drive my 540 in stop and go traffic to work. Meanwhile, I'm staring at my temperature gauge the entire trip to and from. If you know about the 5 series Bimmers...you know their cooling systems are the worst. I don't need the rear seats since I already have a 4 passenger truck and the wife has the SUV. I've read many threads of how NSX owners regret selling their car. For some reason I don't think I'll be too disappointed to part ways with the 540. It's a great car, but I don't think I'm completely satisfied with the purchase.

I think you've answered your own question. You're still here lurking, obviously the 540 has not fulfilled your desires. So the question is this: Can you live without the rear seats? If the answer is yes, then I think you should consider trading that 540 in. The NSX gets better gas mileage, handles better and probably out accelerates a 540 (depending on mod for mod), yet is still very comfortable as a daily driver.

Maybe you're right, DrVolkl...

No offense taken, Gerard van Santen... I should have been more clear in my previous post.

You certainly have the funds available with a straight trade to 'test' the NSX out for a year or two. It will hold its value and require much less maint. than the BMW, get better fuel mileage, and possibly lower insurance; that alone will off set any costs associated with selling the BMW for the NSX. If you don't need the rear seats, take some action and see if the NSX fits you; you only live once.

You have already had the 540 for a while now why not try something new. You will never know till you drive one and when you do get the opportunity to drive one the nsx likes to be taken up to high rpms so dont baby it other wise your impression of the car might be disappointing. If you dont like the nsx you can always go back and find another bimmer.

Driver5 said:
First off... let me introduce myself since this is my first post. I've been on this forum(lurking) for the past year or so. I was in the market for a car to enjoy on the weekends and occasional commute to work on nice days. I debated on the NSX for a while, but eventually went back to BMW. I had another one previously. Anyway, I've had my E39 540 for a little over a year now and I've enjoyed modding it and always impressed with the torque from the V8. However, I still come back to NSXPRIME! I'm not sure why, but I'm still in love with the NSX and wonder..."what if?" I know that they are two totally different vehicles, but I'm trying to get some kind of pros and cons list before I begin my hunt. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

There aren't many cons to the NSX. As mentioned here its Honda reliability, its fun, its quick, it has excellent resale, low maintenance, cache, good milage, etc. I know I won't be regretting making the purchase I just made.

You have an SUV and a pickup... you need a real sports car. The 540 is a nice sedan but it is what it is... it will feel NOTHING like an NSX. FYI I just sold my Mercedes Benz CL600 and bought an NSX.

PROS: gorgeous, stable, reliable, handles amazing and suspension isn't uncomfy, never scrapes eventhough its low (not never, but i haven't scraped it yet), gets crazy looks, isn't a bulky sedan, low and wide.

CONS: fast but could def use some more power, makes me nervous when i park it, expensive parts/labor, everybody and their mother tries to race you/tailgate you, sometimes it's talked up....other than that, nothing.

if you're honestly thinking about getting an nsx, you obvoiusly can do without the rear seat. get one, it's the shit. :smile:

If you want pure fun...go NSX.
If you have to haul folks around and still at least enjoy driving to a certain degree....stay BMW.

TURBO2GO just sold his Mercedes CL600 for an NSX. I hope that tells you something. I think someone on this forum who sold his NSX for a Lamborghini and he decided to buy an NSX again.

I'm glad I sold that "check engine light" car for an NSX.

I believe the NSX is more reliable than the BMW. Your insurance coverage will probably be the same or less. Gas prices have been climbing..so what better to own a Japanese car than a gas eater on the V8 BMW? You'll get more attention/compliments with the NSX than the BMW (guarantee that for sure).

Like everyone said, you have owned the BMW for awhile... You might as well make the change since you only live once in a lifetime. You don't want to grow older and wonder how it would feel to drive the NSX.

Try to join your local NSX meet to check out the car first. I'm pretty sure you can get a free ride in an NSX before you finalize your decision.

Good luck.

Driver5 said:

Thanks

Here is my 2 cents:

If you still want a four door with luxury and comfort and you can carry more than 1 passenger then the 5 series is the proper choice. However, if you want a mid engine design plus reiabillity plus rarity plus you can feel every bump of the road while driving it then the nsx is the one.

Take your time, and try out the nsx, you will know exactly what you want :biggrin:

Driver5 said:

Thanks

[REPLY=Lens nsx1]I TO USE TO OWN A BMW 540i 4.4 litre v8 UNTIL I
DISCOVERED THE ACURA NSX! AND I HAVE TO SAY IVE OWNED ALOT OF SPORTS CARS IN MY TIME AND YES IF YOU WANT SEMI SPORT LUXURY
THEN GO WITH BMW BUT IF YOU WANT A SPORTS CAR WITH LOW
MAITANANCE AND VERY FUN TO DRIVE! OH YEH! AND SEXY YOU BETTER
GO WITH THE ACURA NSX! YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED I GAURENTEE
IT! OH ONE MORE THING DONT FORGET TO VISIT MY SIGHT...

The only Cons that I can think of the NSX now is:
1. Low sitting car made difficult to see what's infront in the traffic.
2. Can sometimes attract unwanted attention (sportscar hater or boyracer)

Other than that its perfect.

I recently looked at the 540 as an NSX option a few months ago. all I can say is that you will never be mistaken for cool guy driving in a ferrari in the 540.

Rod

when that BMW 540 (new ones i assume) is replaced with a new generation 5 series w/ new body style and new features and performance spec. the current one will simply fade away in traffic. the NSX on the other hand is imortal. bimmers are throw away cars w/ a badge, NSX is a classic/keeper, and when modded right you could run with the best of the best. 5 series,...meh

I appreciate all the responses. I think I've made up my mind to start looking/doing more research on the NSX. I really want something that I'll be satisfied with for a while and warrants being called a "garage queen".

I'm glad I sold that "check engine light" car for an NSX.

Now that's funny....but sooooo true!

Gerard van Santen said:
How do you want to compare cars that are in two complete other segments. You want to compare an overpowered 4(5) seats family sedan with an sophisticated 2 seats supersports coupe like the NSX:confused: :confused:

There's no such thing as Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny... or an overpowered car.:smile:

I had the choice recently to only keep one car - a 91 NSX or an 01 E46 M3 due to the wife and kids situation - I would say the M3 is faster and more of a sports car than the 540! - at first I decided to sell the NSX because it's a 2-seater vs the M3 which has a useable rear seat - I put the NSX for sale for 2 weeks, then whoever called on the car, I told them that the car is no longer for sale - I decided to sell the M3 instead even though selling the NSX was the wiser decision in my situation - as I mentioned before, the NSX is like a plague which will never leave you - so in my opinion, a 91 NSX with no mods at all is much more fun to drive than the faster, more powerful M3 (and of course the 540) - it is also cheaper to maintain on the long run, will hold better value, will never rust, easier to drive and handle, and the list goes on

Yeah... that was a reason for choosing the 540 initially. I thought I may need the rear seats for the kids, but I rarely drive it when we all go out. We're usually in the SUV. I thought the 2 seater may be a selfish purchase, but now I think differently. When we all go out in the 540 all the power and "sport sedan" label goes out the window. It turns into a passenger hauler sedan which I would never buy. The only time I really enjoy it is if I'm in the car alone, with a wife or friend passenger. So it's actually a "two seater" vehicle anyway...

NSX7 said:
I had the choice recently to only keep one car - a 91 NSX or an 01 E46 M3 due to the wife and kids situation - I would say the M3 is faster and more of a sports car than the 540! - at first I decided to sell the NSX because it's a 2-seater vs the M3 which has a useable rear seat - I put the NSX for sale for 2 weeks, then whoever called on the car, I told them that the car is no longer for sale - I decided to sell the M3 instead even though selling the NSX was the wiser decision in my situation - as I mentioned before, the NSX is like a plague which will never leave you - so in my opinion, a 91 NSX with no mods at all is much more fun to drive than the faster, more powerful M3 (and of course the 540) - it is also cheaper to maintain on the long run, will hold better value, will never rust, easier to drive and handle, and the list goes on

Hmmm... I would never think that the M3 is quicker than an NSX?

Back